Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Help me like Tovak! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John DeLuxe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The title says it all. I really enjoy the other three characters and feel they are powerful in their own ways. Playing Tovak (mainly Solo Conquest) I just haven't been able to get things going.

The way I see it is this:

1) The most powerful lategame strategies revolve around spells and units.
2) Tovak sucks at spells and units.

It feels like Tovak's "thing" is block/take lots of wounds, then hit back for big damage. This gives him some powerful early plays - he can barrel into a dungeon and either use Cold Toughness or just use his excellent discard skill to drop the wounds. Late game that's less of an option because in a big fight (my recent games are against city levels 8 then 13) he'll get knocked out. Even when I can take the damage, I feel like my attack is underpowered - my units have had to soak up some damage, and I'm low on mana to power good attacks/spells.

It may be that Tovak's best plan is to aim for a spell/unit-based lategame anyway, and pick advanced actions that generate mana. In which case, why wouldn't I pick another character who does it better? Or it may just be that he's a stronger early game character, and hence more suited to the other scenarios.

Any thoughts? Has anyone found a good strategy for Tovak against high-level (11+) cities? I mean, besides just drawing the Banner of Win (sorry, Fear).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
beakachu wrote:
The title says it all. I really enjoy the other three characters and feel they are powerful in their own ways. Playing Tovak (mainly Solo Conquest) I just haven't been able to get things going.

The way I see it is this:

1) The most powerful lategame strategies revolve around spells and units.
2) Tovak sucks at spells and units.

It feels like Tovak's "thing" is block/take lots of wounds, then hit back for big damage. This gives him some powerful early plays - he can barrel into a dungeon and either use Cold Toughness or just use his excellent discard skill to drop the wounds. Late game that's less of an option because in a big fight (my recent games are against city levels 8 then 13) he'll get knocked out. Even when I can take the damage, I feel like my attack is underpowered - my units have had to soak up some damage, and I'm low on mana to power good attacks/spells.

It may be that Tovak's best plan is to aim for a spell/unit-based lategame anyway, and pick advanced actions that generate mana. In which case, why wouldn't I pick another character who does it better? Or it may just be that he's a stronger early game character, and hence more suited to the other scenarios.

Any thoughts? Has anyone found a good strategy for Tovak against high-level (11+) cities? I mean, besides just drawing the Banner of Win (sorry, Fear).


I think you are exactly right about Tovak. He isn't the best for solo play, but in a competitive situation, he excels in the early/mid game. Given some of the runaway leader issues, this can be key in winning a competitive game. For multi-play my favorite characters are Goldyx and Tovak.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tovak is my least favourite character, mostly just cos he's a bit dull.

He looks kick-ass, though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Until the tougher creatures appear I think Tovak is a little weaker than the other characters. However Cold Toughness scales quite nicely as you fight tougher enemies and resistance break is probably the best skill for dealing with them as well.

While blocking seems a bit dull compared to other things you could be good at I've yet to end a game playing Tovak with more than 2 wounds in my deck.

Plus he gets Night Sharpshooting, Cold Swordsmanship and Shield Mastery - that's a lot of combat ability he can use every turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q
Canada
flag msg tools
My last solo game was with Tovak, and I quite enjoyed him. I took "I feel no pain" as his first skill and it allowed me to be pretty reckless. he delved into dungeons and plundered ruins, amassing a rather sizeable collection of artifacts. Tovak conquered the second city and ended the game a full round early with 117 fame and only one spell (time/space bending) to his name.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DeLuxe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Johnny Q wrote:
My last solo game was with Tovak, and I quite enjoyed him. I took "I feel no pain" as his first skill and it allowed me to be pretty reckless. he delved into dungeons and plundered ruins, amassing a rather sizeable collection of artifacts. Tovak conquered the second city and ended the game a full round early with 117 fame and only one spell (time/space bending) to his name.


How did the final city go down? This is what I'm trying to get - how does Tovak deal with 6+ enemies (in a way that other characters don't do better)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
beakachu wrote:
how does Tovak deal with 6+ enemies (in a way that other characters don't do better)?


Resistance Break is the equivalent of having Cold Fire Siege Attack 1 or 2 when attacking a city - very useful. If there's an Altem Guardsmen then it can be the equivalent of having Siege Attack 6.

Cold Toughness plus Shield Mastery is enough to block any creature in the game except for werewolves.

The question should really be, how do the other characters deal with 6+ enemies in a way other than Tovak can do? The only real advantage they have in this situation is that they can get crystals more easily, but they're hardly difficult to come by.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q
Canada
flag msg tools
beakachu wrote:

How did the final city go down? This is what I'm trying to get - how does Tovak deal with 6+ enemies (in a way that other characters don't do better)?


Tovak's cold toughness card and combat/block heavy skill set can allow him to take out fairly strong enemies without needing to power up his deck to do so. He is especially good at taking out dungeons and tombs.

Don't attack mage towers early with Tovak. Spells just clog up his hand early on.

Instead focus on artifacts. Some can provide crystals and mana to fuel a typical late game spell-slinging strategy. Others build on his natural strengths turning him into a real combat monster.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.