Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Ora et Labora» Forums » General

Subject: How long does it take to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is high on my radar, but just wanted some comment on how long it takes to play. We have played Agricola heaps, but Le Havre just hasn't got to the table because it seems to take that much longer. Three players would be our common number.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Morland
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed my first 3 player game of this in about 2hrs 15min, only one of us had played before though that was with 3 pretty experienced gamers.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I have played a 3 player in a little over two hours and a 4 player in 3 hours.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd estimate:

4-player (standard version): 3 hours
4-player (short version): 1 hour
3-player : 2.5 hours
2 Player (standard version): 2 hours
2 Player (long version): 3 hours
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The first three player game should take 2-3 hours. After that about 2 hours with three players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Arick
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My first solo game took 3 hours, approximately, but I hadn't read the buildings before. I assume I can play a lot faster (maybe under 2 hours) the next time (but maybe not if I play a different scenario?).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Martindale
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Le Havre seems to play faster for us than Agricola. Maybe that is because it seems to hit the table more. I can't wait to play this one, I just got it yesterday.

Weird
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig, I think this game is just as long as Le Havre, in spite of the time listed on the box. Much like Le Havre, though, the first couple times you play will much slower than the rest.

My first game (solo game) took 4 hours, although more than half of that was time spent referring to the rules, or getting distracted with other stuff going on while I played. I had read through the rules the previous day.

Last night, we played the 3-player short game, and it took about 3 hours, including 45 minutes for rules explanation. If we had played the long game, it would have probably been a 5-6 hour session (like it was when we first played Le Havre).

Now that I'm experienced with Le Havre, it plays much faster for us. I've played the long 2-player game in 2 hours, and the long 3-player game in about 2:45. I expect that O&L will be about the same.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
uigrad wrote:
Craig, I think this game is just as long as Le Havre, in spite of the time listed on the box. Much like Le Havre, though, the first couple times you play will much slower than the rest.

My first game (solo game) took 4 hours, although more than half of that was time spent referring to the rules, or getting distracted with other stuff going on while I played. I had read through the rules the previous day.

Last night, we played the 3-player short game, and it took about 3 hours, including 45 minutes for rules explanation. If we had played the long game, it would have probably been a 5-6 hour session (like it was when we first played Le Havre).

Now that I'm experienced with Le Havre, it plays much faster for us. I've played the long 2-player game in 2 hours, and the long 3-player game in about 2:45. I expect that O&L will be about the same.

Our first 3-player long version took 3,5 h including rules explanation.

If you start to AP then probably it will take 4-6 hours in the first game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:

Our first 3-player long version took 3,5 h including rules explanation.

If you start to AP then probably it will take 4-6 hours in the first game.


You probably play Le Havre faster too.

There is a lot of variance in how fast different groups play. I think the OP needs comparisons between this game and Le Havre.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of doubt that Craig is still reading replies here, since he hasn't responded at all, but the group I play with is probably similar to his.

In addition to the solo game, I've played this now 3 times:

1st game (short 3-player): 3 hours, including rules explanation
2nd game (long 3-player): 3 hours.
3rd game (short 3-player): 1.5 hours.

So, it's a bit faster than Le Havre, but not much.

I think that someone on the fence about buying it, because of the length, should definitely do it. It isn't nearly as dry as Le Havre, and is well worth the time that it takes to play. The short game is much better than the short game on Le Havre, so if you expect to play it that way a lot, it's also a great purchase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I am still reading the responses. Very helpful thanks. Gut feel is that it would be ok for us, but pushing it a bit for the initial plays. Still interested in it though, but more probable issue is getting hold of a copy down here in NZ. It seems hard to get now in the US, so will be even tougher here - hopeful for a second printing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
uigrad wrote:
I kind of doubt that Craig is still reading replies here, since he hasn't responded at all...


Don't let the lack of responses fool you, there may be more of us lurkers watching this thread as well.

I was really interested in Le Havre, but in the end it was the long playing time that always caused me to forego that particular purchase. On it's surface, Ora & Labora looks like it improves upon what I liked in Le Havre with a (slightly) shorter playing time. Ideally for me, the playing times for the long versions would break down as follows: 1.5 hours for 2-player, 2 hours for 3-player and 2.5 hours for 4-player. So O&L looks like it might just fit the bill - repeated plays are getting into that range.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.