Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Variant suggested for 4 players and above, up to eight players:

Quote:
Use only half the usual tiles: 2 basic tiles and 1 special tile per player. Whenever you explore a basic tile, roll twice for encounters and treasure.

If there are two treasures, stack them on each other. If there are two encounters, put the first one on the tile face down, and put the second one face-up on top. If the bottom encounter card is uncovered at any point in the game, turn it face-up. A monster turned face-up this way does not initiate a free battle action. A trap turned face-up this way does not provoke a Disarm attempt. A monster moving out of a tile does not carry treasure with them if there is still an encounter card on that tile.

A face-up Trap card takes effect when a player moves out of its tile, or escapes from it. They get a Disarm attempt as normal; however, if the action taken was an Escape action, they do not roll dice, and automatically fail the Disarm check.

Optional, but suggested, additional rules :

Quote:
A) When executing a Search action, a player can look at all the treasure cards on their tile, select one of them, and put the other one back. (Per normal rules, they would take all of them).

Quote:
B) During the Roaming Phase, if there are no monsters to roam, the First Player must choose a basic tile with no players on it or adjacent tiles (if there is such a room), and roll once for encounters and treasure there.

Quote:
C) Whenever you should add an encounter card on a tile, if the encounter deck is empty, add a boss card instead; then shuffle the discard and make a new encounter pile. This boss does not carry the summoning stone, but still counts as two encounter cards for the purpose of Advance actions.

In this variant, resources are less scarce, but players are more likely to follow each other, as there will frequently be monsters and treasure left on a player's tile when they finish their turn. It should scale well to 5 and 6 players, with enough tiles for everybody; 7 and 8 players could theoretically work, but downtime might be a problem, as well as a risk to run out of encounter cards (if players don't advance to empty their loot piles).

Any comments are welcome, as well as feedback if you try it. I'm not sure yet how it would disturb the balance between heroes, but it shouldn't change it too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T B
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:

Quote:
B) During the Roaming Phase, if there are no monsters to roam, the First Player must choose a basic tile with no players on it or adjacent tiles (if there is such a room), and roll once for encounters and treasure there.

I like your suggestions, but I like this one the very best for the normal game.

This would have a huge impact, but I doubt it would be enough to drag all the players back together by itself: however I suspect there are too many rule changes in your ideas above to make them easily implemented.

I wonder if you could simplify your ideas further, but keep the intent of grouping all the players in mind?

Perhaps:

"When rolling for a treasure or encounter, draw an extra treasure and/or encounter card upon a successful result for each hero on an adjacent (ie sharing an edge) tile."

This gives the benefit you suggest of group combat/treasure, but only if the group is physically present.

Have you playtested this?

CRC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnRedChops wrote:
"When rolling for a treasure or encounter, draw an extra treasure and/or encounter card upon a successful result for each hero on an adjacent (ie sharing an edge) tile."

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I highly doubt it would lead to a simplified ruleset. If you start adding several treasure cards on a tile, you'll need a rule like A/ to avoid having one player take them all. If you start adding several encounter cards on a tile, you'll need rules to manage them (such as the flipping rules, or the face-up trap rules).

The core idea in my variant is just the bolded one : half the tiles, twice the encounters. Even simpler that yours. Everything afterwards (except B/ and C/) is an implementation of this idea, that I'm trying to redact in a clear-cut, "rulebook style" manner, so as to leave no place for ambiguities.

As a sidenote, I did not create the variant to fix a game that, in my opinion, does not need to be fixed. I created it as an alternate way to play, for a change, that happens to have two notable consequences: allowing for more players, and grouping them together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnRedChops wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

I like your suggestions, but I like this one the very best for the normal game.

It should work perfectly fine on its own, but unless you use the Summon rules for encounters (e.g. placing monsters only) you'll need rules for face-up traps. The obvious and intuitive rule here would be to make a Disarm check when entering the tile, but I think doing the check when leaving the tile instead makes for interesting situations in the endgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a great variant. Will give this a try next time I play with 5+ players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.F. Sesma
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

I think doing the check when leaving the tile instead makes for interesting situations in the endgame

These 2 are pretty good to add to the vanilla game. I like the trap variant and also added to the Underground Channel. I would use it since the beggining to give the players more chances to reunite and sabotage/assist themselves. Also helps the trapped one if he/she thinks that would take serious damage without assistance. Any reason for not applying it as a general rule and not a end-game one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Zebel
Mexico
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really liked all the variants, I will try them next time we gather. Another variant I will add is:

In end game, the only win condition is being the last man standing.

this should fix the "escape" from players problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.