Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So m fiance and I have begun waging a 2 person war on the forces of evil in Arkham. However what has happend is that we've been getting our butts handed to us by the game and have started to think that this may be an issue of employing an improper strategy. Our friend believes that the key to winning the game is having more players but I disagree simply because sometimes the game just hits you as hard as it can and there isn't really a lot you could do even if you're Sun-Tzu. For those of you that are veterans of Arkham and have been successful in 2 player games what are some of the strategies that you would recommend we employ to give us a better chance of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 characters is the sweet spot in this game (in my opinion) so whether that means 2 people play 2 characters each or 4 people play, that's the best chance to win.

As far as 2-person strategy, character selection is important. Mandy Thompson is nice, as is Carolyn Fern to heal sanity.

I've also found you have a better chance in two-player games if you assign roles. Person A is responsible for sealing gates while person B is on monster cleanup patrol. If you are going to go that route however, make sure you pick appropriate characters for the task at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several games with just two players and I can't recall any major changes in strategy. You just can't allow yourself to be distracted from you main objective: sealing gates. But with two players it is a lot easier to prepare for and be successful in the final battle. The main reason is that it is easier to find two useful weapons for two players than 4 weapons for 4 players. Added to that, you need to roll just two successes to remove a doom token. So this is often the way to go and you'll need to decide early enough (sometimes that is right at the start of the game!) when you're going for the final battle. But these are considerations you should make in any game, so it is really not that much different.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that running a 3rd character between you will increase your chances of winning. It will add very little overhead to your game (3 characters are easy to solo play, even) but substantially increase the amount that you can achieve. In my experience, 2 character games will often come down to the final battle as you just can't do enough in the time that you have to get a gate seal win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well what we have been doing is trying to beat the Ancient One who awakens and destroys everything (I forgot his name) so a final battle is not in the cards with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I have so far only ever played two player. We always take two investigators each. Azathoth (the big bad guy that you are dealing with) is normally a cake walk for us.

Try the game with you each taking two investigators and see if it is easier and more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play 2 2-player games every weekend with the following tweaks:

After the first upkeep we roll a die and if the roll is low we have a Mythos, but if the roll is high we skip the Mythos AND the next Upkeep.

We treat the other rules like its a four player game. Essentially is a 4 player game with each of us playing 2 indentical investigators or maybe more like giving each investigator 2 Movement and encounter phases.

Sometimes its an easy game and sometimes its difficult, but the random die rolls usually keep the tension about has high as we want. Others suggest either just skipping every other turn or to make it a bit more difficult on skipping every 3rd turn.

Skipping the Upkeep means retainers aren't overly powerful but sometimes it leaves you lost in time and space for a few turns. Also spells and exhausted weapons might leave you defenseless.

Without some tweaks, you'll end up fighting the Old One a lot,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. My friends live in a different city now, and my girlfriend and I have been feeling the hurt, especially in Dunwich! I think focusing more on closing gates is the best strategy, but if time is running out and you're not fully prepared, big trouble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa F
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with two characters apiece in a 2 person game (I once actually chose to play with both Vincent and Sister Mary, it was rought, but fun). We have not had any significant problems with having to make additional rule modifications regarding the mythos cards. We do use Hypnos (for the extra clue tokens) and usually only play with one big board expansion at a time (though we have played will all of them at once; it's a bit messy.) In general, things go as well as they can in Arkham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played this game with two players we just played a single character each. As others have stated, this is probably not optimum. But where's the fun in optimum?

We play more for theme and experience and I don't care to play more than one character. It's hard enough keeping track of just one! I think two characters creates the need for a lot of working out strategies together. We won our game and we're newbies.

Plus, people generally say the base game is pretty easy playing optimally, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Elfving
Denmark
Randers C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play we always try to have 4 investigators (normally I play 2 or 3 player games)

We also mainly play for theme and our initial objective is always to end the game before GOO awakens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play one investigator each and have done well so far with 2 wins and 1 loss. We just try to stay focused on sealing gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.