Matt Papa

Albany
New York
msg tools
designer
publisher
First, I want to personally thank everyone who generously backed our campaign. A lot of hard work and energy went (and continues to go) into this game. Your support encourages me to learn from this process and work even harder to make this a better game. Thomas Edison failed over 1,000 times before he finally succeeded with the light bulb... we're getting ready for try #2!

I'd like to discuss some of the key points we at Goblin Army Games have learned through this Kickstarter process:

THE GOOD:

We had 215 Backers... this is really the most important factor and is impressive as true newbies to game publishing.

We spent a full week at #1 on the boardgamegeek Hotness... over 2 weeks on the main list.

We had 18,935 unique visits on our BGG page.

We had well over $11,500 in funding dollars.

Our main professional video review was fantastic... Thank you UndeadViking!

THE BAD:

Theme, art and design need to act as one. The theme and art didn't strike a cord with many potential backers. We appreciate all of the comments (both constructive and negative), and this will be our #1 goal for improvement prior to our next launch.

We didn't offer enough Backer levels... many backers requested more offerings of cool stuff... we can do that!

What this means for you:

As we gear up to make the necessary improvements, we would like to contact those of you who are interested with updates, and to hear your comments/suggestions.
Feel free to contact me with your email info if you would like to be included in this Beta Group.
We will be contacting everyone we can reach as soon as we are ready to re-launch. The game will undergo some changes (all for the better), but rest assured it will maintain the same great/fun mechanics and have vastly improved theme and art.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your support. I know with your help we will be successful!

Matthew Papa

Goblin Army Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! I'll continue to follow the game ninja and look forward to seeing the next iteration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matthew, What happens to your backers and the funds whihc were pledged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came very close to supporting this, so will look at version 2 very carefully.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carthagenj wrote:
Hi Matthew, What happens to your backers and the funds whihc were pledged?

Kickstarter doesnt actually take any funds until the project is finished AND successful ( met or exceeded its monetary goal ). Since this project was unsuccessful, there was no actual funds taken from anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goldberg
United States
Longmont
co
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the new redesign and backing OOPS part 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was critical of the theme/art myself, but I wish you the best of luck with this and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All The Earth
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will definitely be watching to see what happens next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am eagerly awaiting the changes to the art and design for the second try. I think this game can be a big hit, it just needs some new direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted in a thread saying that there is benefit to not making it funded the first time through, like a screenplay or a book that gets the, "We liked it but can you change... ?" response.

It seems those that played it had good things to say about it which is a great sign. The theme did not resonate with me along with others, however. Hopefully, this will give you the ability to take a fresh look at the project and see how it can become better and more fluid. It may give you the time to even find changes to game play to take it from good to great.

Glad to see that seems to be your reaction, as much as I know it never feels good to not meet your expectations.

As a computer programmer, one thing I always try to keep in mind is an important design rule: "Never fall in love with your design." Becoming attached means you won't be willing to change it if it needs tweaking and many things need tweaking or in fact a complete different direction.

I wish you luck and look forward to the future of your project, along with many others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mannie Germain
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was as critical as anyone but am glad to see this will be worked on and fired up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish no ill will to the games creators, but this is proof that you can't just throw any old idea up on kickstarter, sponsor the dicetower and feature heavily in one of the most listened to podcasts on the net, and automatically get funded.

Bad for the designers, obviously, but good news for gaming in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Matt, I just heard about this game from UndeadViking's review, and it seems really cool. Obviously what he showed wasn't a finished product, but I have a question, is there a board (planned to be) included with this game, and if so why?

It seems to me the whole game could be set up with cards, it'd be a table resembling a Dominion game. You simply have 7 that are always out, you could just number them and give them different backs. It seems like a board is kind of excessive to this game, which when you're asking me to fund is a negative. I know little of production costs, but I'm positive a board costs much more to produce than 7 cards and a player aid style scoreboard.

If I heard about this when it was active, I wouldn't have backed it and that is why. The game looks really fun but the price of $45 for a copy of it is very high for what I perceive the components as. Obviously I have never seen the full product, but I feel its a few dozen cards, dice and beads.

I hope you'll consider this upon relaunch, I hope you can convince me to pledge, and I hope your project is successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Papa

Albany
New York
msg tools
designer
publisher
Christopher,

Thanks for the comment... we are considering that option. Really to enhance some expansion options. The cost of the board isn't the big expense, rather the 35 dice required to play for a 5 player game. We could reduce costs by making it a 4 player game(28 dice), but I really like the game at 5 players.

Matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
when the dice are on the board, do the pips matter or just that the die is occupying that space? I understand the pips matter for placement but do they effect the action that is eventually taken? if no an economical option could be to include 7 dice and 35 coloured cubes.

any idea when this is going back up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
getpapa wrote:
We could reduce costs by making it a 4 player game(28 dice), but I really like the game at 5 players.

Sounds like an opportunity for both a funding goal (4P) as well as an overfunding goal (5P) especially if announced ahead of time as a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kangyu Chia
Singapore
Varsity Park Condominium
flag msg tools
badge
Ouch.
mbmbmbmbmb
schwarzott wrote:
Hey Matt, I just heard about this game from UndeadViking's review, and it seems really cool. Obviously what he showed wasn't a finished product, but I have a question, is there a board (planned to be) included with this game, and if so why?

It seems to me the whole game could be set up with cards, it'd be a table resembling a Dominion game. You simply have 7 that are always out, you could just number them and give them different backs. It seems like a board is kind of excessive to this game, which when you're asking me to fund is a negative. I know little of production costs, but I'm positive a board costs much more to produce than 7 cards and a player aid style scoreboard.

If I heard about this when it was active, I wouldn't have backed it and that is why. The game looks really fun but the price of $45 for a copy of it is very high for what I perceive the components as. Obviously I have never seen the full product, but I feel its a few dozen cards, dice and beads.

I hope you'll consider this upon relaunch, I hope you can convince me to pledge, and I hope your project is successful.

I agree, the price point did not seem justified compared to several other kickstarter projects that I had backed. Not to mention that the international shipping was set at a prohibitive $35. I don't think setting international shipping at $20 is unreasonable, many other projects have managed to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.