13 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placing ancient parts as upgrade action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry just remembered one more question, not trying to spam.

You get an ancient ship part and place it on the side for later and then when you use an upgrade action can you place the ancient part plus 2 normal parts since the ancient part doesn't come from the supply board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
You can place two parts. Where they come from doesn't factor into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overhamsteren wrote:
Sorry just remembered one more question, not trying to spam.

You get an ancient ship part and place it on the side for later and then when you use an upgrade action can you place the ancient part plus 2 normal parts since the ancient part doesn't come from the supply board?

No,

You place 1 ancient ship part + 1 regular ship part;

OR

You place 1 regular ship part + 1 regular ship part.
===================================================================

You will never upgrade 3 ship parts with one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that once you place the alien tech on your ship, it will stay there for the rest of the game. If you build on top of it, it is discarded from the game. If you move it, it is discarded from the game. Unlike other upgrades already on your ships, which are movable during the upgrade action, alien techs are not.

This is correct, right? Or have I been smoking too much crack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never move ship parts from one ship to another.

You are right, if you remove an alien ship part, then that alien ship part is gone forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charliechuckleberry wrote:
You can never move ship parts from one ship to another.

You are right, if you remove an alien ship part, then that alien ship part is gone forever.

Damn crack.

1) Move as many ship parts as you want off your ships to the supply.
2) Place 2 ship parts from the supply on to your ships.

(a) All ships must be able to supply enough energy to power all parts of the ship.
(b) Ships must always have drives.
(c) Starbases can never have drives.
(d) If an alien tech is removed from your ship then it is discarded from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Charliechuckleberry wrote:

You place 1 ancient ship part + 1 regular ship part;

OR

You place 1 regular ship part + 1 regular ship part.
===================================================================

You will never upgrade 3 ship parts with one action.

** Unless you are Mechanema.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it really that clear?

Maybe it's just my bad English but it doesn't say you can only place 2 parts, it says you can only draw 2 parts from the supply board and then place them.

The ancient tech says it can be placed 'with the upgrade action'. So you need to make the action of course but you don't draw it from the supply board and it doesn't say you must place it instead of a normal tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clear or not, that is nevertheless the rule: you can place two parts, from supply or ancient, and nothing more, unless you're Mechanema.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overhamsteren wrote:
Is it really that clear?

Maybe it's just my bad English but it doesn't say you can only place 2 parts, it says you can only draw 2 parts from the supply board and then place them.

The ancient tech says it can be placed 'with the upgrade action'. So you need to make the action of course but you don't draw it from the supply board and it doesn't say you must place it instead of a normal tile.
msaari wrote:
Clear or not, that is nevertheless the rule: you can place two parts, from supply or ancient, and nothing more, unless you're Mechanema.
or Could the Mechanema get 4 upgrade actions if they have an alien tech on the side?(3 normal and 1 alien tech?)

The problem at the moment is that the rules only mention the supply board when taking ship parts for both the upgrade action and Mechanema under their special abilities. The discovery tiles in the rules state to either place your new found part on any of your ship designs or to the side of your player board for a future action.

The problem becomes if one player finds more than one extra ship part due to discovery tiles and decides to wait to place all of them on their ships. What than? If the player originally finds say 4 pieces and upgrades as he discovers them...that's 4 free upgrades. If you put the 4 pieces to the side and you say you have to use the upgrade action since you waited, at the least that's two more actions that a player has to take. You now just penalized a player for his delayed discoveries since he wants to carefully build a better ship. On the other hand...getting 6 possible upgrades in this theoretical scenario (7 if your Mechanema) with one upgrade action does seem a little ridiculous.

A little clarity could be used.

(Again this is all theoretical...but I can see it happening!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
Overhamsteren wrote:
Is it really that clear?

msaari wrote:
or Could the Mechanema get 4 upgrade actions if they have an alien tech on the side?(3 normal and 1 alien tech?)

The problem at the moment is that the rules only mention the supply board when taking ship parts for both the upgrade action and Mechanema under their special abilities. The discovery tiles in the rules state to either place your new found part on any of your ship designs or to the side of your player board for a future action.

The problem becomes if one player finds more than one extra ship part due to discovery tiles and decides to wait to place all of them on their ships. What than? If the player originally finds say 4 pieces and upgrades as he discovers them...that's 4 free upgrades. If you put the 4 pieces to the side and you say you have to use the upgrade action since you waited, at the least that's two more actions that a player has to take. You now just penalized a player for his delayed discoveries since he wants to carefully build a better ship. On the other hand...getting 6 possible upgrades in this theoretical scenario (7 if your Mechanema) with one upgrade action does seem a little ridiculous.

A little clarity could be used.

(Again this is all theoretical...but I can see it happening!)

This is probably the umpteenth time this question has been asked and the answer is still the same: Yes, the Ancient Part counts towards your limit of 2 (3 in case of Mechanema) if placed with an Upgrade action. Placing it immediately after making the Discovery is "free".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe so Antti, but this is one of those areas that isn't listed in the official FAQ thread and anyone using just the rulebook could come across this very problem.

I did try searching the forums and I did go over the rulebooks before posting. Maybe I failed my search-fu roll? *shrug*

Edit: Apparently I didn't search far enough in the FAQ thread!
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8126186#8126186
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it should be in the Q&A maybe not.

But thanks for chipping in, I see your names in the book so I will take the answer as gospel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.