Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Romans
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi folks, I had a weird encounter the other day at my local Games Workshop store that I just had to get off my chest. I went there to buy some paint and the cashier inevitably asks "what I'm working on" in their attempt to market unrelated stuff to me. I usually say "Warhammer Quest minis" which causes them to look at me quizzically, clam up, and I walk away unscathed. Well, this time the cashier starts telling me about a fantasy campaign he's running, but then quickly adds that "you can't bring your copy of Warhammer Quest into any Games Workshop store because it's no longer supported by the company."

Ummmm, first of all, I didn't even offer to. Second, if I did, I'm afraid I would never be able to get rid of the smell gulp

So there you have it, Warhammer Quest is officially banned from all Games Workshop stores.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's always been somewhat par for the course when it comes to GW stores. They are very much corporate policy-driven places. Whereas a privately run FLGS looks more at building long-term customer loyalty, Games Workshop stores look more at how behaviour in their stores will move their current stock ahead of other concerns. Some staff may choose to ignore home office directives, but it's been my experience that they have done a very good job of ensuring their hiring policy nets them mostly yes-men that adhere to the corporate directives fairly closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprising, although they do still make many of the creatures that have stats in Warhammer Quest. You could probably even replace all of the miniatures included in the base set using currently available GW figures, except maybe the spiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
Not surprising, although they do still make many of the creatures that have stats in Warhammer Quest. You could probably even replace all of the miniatures included in the base set using currently available GW figures, except maybe the spiders.

Of course it would cost you the GNP of at least Mexico to do it devil

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tromans wrote:
Hi folks, I had a weird encounter the other day at my local Games Workshop store that I just had to get off my chest. I went there to buy some paint and the cashier inevitably asks "what I'm working on" in their attempt to market unrelated stuff to me. I usually say "Warhammer Quest minis" which causes them to look at me quizzically, clam up, and I walk away unscathed. Well, this time the cashier starts telling me about a fantasy campaign he's running, but then quickly adds that "you can't bring your copy of Warhammer Quest into any Games Workshop store because it's no longer supported by the company."

Ummmm, first of all, I didn't even offer to. Second, if I did, I'm afraid I would never be able to get rid of the smell gulp

So there you have it, Warhammer Quest is officially banned from all Games Workshop stores.....

You should have pointed at the pimpled-faced kid and scolded him in front of everyone by saying, "I refuse to talk to a GW employee who was walking around in diapers when Warhammer Quest was released!"

I'll bet most of their current employees have never even played the game. Which was probably the real problem there. You had something they'd only HEARD about! To see WHQ in all its glory would have just made anyone and everyone in the shop so envious that they would have stopped whatever they were doing and just stared. That's bad for business. And of course it would have drawn the badly needed attention away from his *laugh* Warhammer Fantasy "campaign" that he came up with himself (which means he ripped off all the ideas from some online computer game).

Furthermore, that employee was also trying to avoid a situation where everyone in the room would have revered you and your game with such awe that they would have kowtowed down to you (three times) and then followed you home.

Be sure to thank that guy for saving you from all that the unwanted attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, not cool at all
so much for shopping there, I'd pass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The clerks and people you get greeted by at GW shops really dont have a choice in how they act. GW office guidelines are very specific and baser employees jobs are appallingly tenuous in the meat grinders that can be a Games Workshop Store.

Also its been GWs policy to disallow non-current games in the stores since nearly the get-go. WOTC adapted this stance too and , well, there arent any WOTC stores anymore are there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
It kinda sucks, and I don't like it, but to be fair, I kinda understand it.

Why would they want to use store space to 'support' a game that they no longer 'support' (yes it sucks that they no longer support it, but that's a whole different issue). You could argue that it may bring customers in, sure, those customers may end up buying other stuff, but, as I'm sure they know, they're much better off ensuring (and enforcing the rule) that available space is used to play games that they can sell units for and actually make money off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:

Why would they want to use store space to 'support' a game that they no longer 'support' (yes it sucks that they no longer support it, but that's a whole different issue). You could argue that it may bring customers in, sure, those customers may end up buying other stuff, but, as I'm sure they know, they're much better off ensuring (and enforcing the rule) that available space is used to play games that they can sell units for and actually make money off.

Except that they miss the value of how Warhammer Quest uses all of their WHFB figures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:

It may well be the most effective policy, but it means that I always put GW stores at the bottom of my list of options if I want to buy something they sell. I'm only one person, and so I doubt my dislike for going to their stores will ever make that much of a difference. It wouldn't be the first time that a "lose one customer, gain three new customers" churn has proven a popular business model, and it won't be the last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean you're not allowed to mention Space Hulk either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What Space Hulk? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is pretty standard.

As said. The staff have no choice in this. If they aren't active as you've seen then they can be terminated, and GW employment has that fun little clause that you get no compensation or equivalent if they can come up with a reason to fire you within XYZ months. And one of those reasons is if a staff is rated low for interaction. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Yeah, that is pretty standard.

As said. The staff have no choice in this. If they aren't active as you've seen then they can be terminated, and GW employment has that fun little clause that you get no compensation or equivalent if they can come up with a reason to fire you within XYZ months. And one of those reasons is if a staff is rated low for interaction. Etc.

It might be my left-leaning tendencies colouring my perspective, but this is yet one more aspect of GW policy I chalk up to corporate imperatives. When your first duty is to shareholders rather than customers, then the staff (and their relationship to customers) is devalued. It makes it a less pleasant environment to work at or visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.