Subject: Known Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Game Trade magazine has an add for Road to Rivendell. From memory, it confirms the Orc Ambush Treachery card (shown in the preview for the Dwarrodelf Cycle) for this pack. Also it shows the picture of a new Lore Dwarf ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any more details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems from the text that we might expect another Arwen card. As far as I know, the adventure packs are built to require only the appropriate big set - so I doubt they'll require reusing Arwen from the Redhorn Gate. I wonder if she'll be the same or different. Her resource ability sure is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rider is definitely solid - any time you get 2 will for 3 you're looking at a playable card. The ability (which, as I understand it, does not allow you to cancel a resolved shadow effect, just be preemptive) combos with dark knowledge. And hey, maybe Rohan will turn out to be good for something someday.

Lure of Moria is, I think, very strong - especially in the two player all-dwarf set up. Grim Resolve is easily one of the most powerful events. Makes Dain even better.

Elladan is pretty much as expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think they made a mistake by forcing the resource cost of the Rider's Action to be Spirit only, that basically means that your fellow players won't be able to return your Rider if they're not playing Spirit themselves, which would mostly be the case.
But it really doesn't matter because Lure of Moria directly means that anyone who's not using all Dwarves is doing it wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chung
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up my copy today. Here's the player cards not pictured:

Dunedain Wanderer - Ally
Traits: Dundeain. Ranger.
Cost: 5
Willpower: 1
Attack: 2
Defense: 2
Hit Points: 2

Ranged. Sentinel. Secrecy 3.

Hail of Stones - Event
Sphere: Tactics
Cost: 1

Action: Exhaust X characters to deal X damage to an enemy in the staging area.

Song of Earendil - Attachment
Sphere: Spirit

Attach to a Spirit Hero.
Response: After Song of Earendil enters play, draw 1 card.
Response: After another player raises his threat, raise you threat by 1 to reduce that player's threat by 1.

Bombur - Ally, Unique
Sphere: Lore
Cost: 3
Traits: Dwarf
Willpower: 0
Attack: 0
Defense: 1
Hit Points: 3

Action: Exhaust Bombur to choose a location. That location gets -1 threat until the end of the phase. (That location does not contribute its threat instead if it is an Underground location.)

The End Comes - Event
Sphere: Neutral
Cost: 0

Response: After a Dwarf character leaves play, shuffle the encounter discard pile back into the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sonofachung wrote:
I picked up my copy today. Here's the player cards not pictured:

Dunedain Wanderer - Ally
Traits: Dundeain. Ranger.
Willpower: 1
Attack: 2
Defense: 2
Hit Points: 2

Ranged. Sentinel. Secrecy 3.

Hail of Stones - Event
Sphere: Tactics

Action: Exhaust X characters to deal X damage to an enemy in the staging area.

Song of Earendil - Attachment
Sphere: Spirit

Attach to a Spirit Hero.
Response: After Song of Earendil enters play, draw 1 card.
Response: After another player raises his threat, raise you threat by 1 to reduce that player's threat by 1.

Bombur - Ally, Unique
Sphere: Lore
Cost: 3
Traits: Dwarf
Willpower: 0
Attack: 0
Defense: 1
Hit Points: 3

Action: Exhaust Bombur to choose a location. That location gets -1 threat until the end of the phase. (That location does not contribute its threat instead if it is an Underground location.)

The End Comes - Event
Sphere: Neutral
Cost: 0

Response: After a Dwarf character leaves play, shuffle the encounter discard pile back into the encounter deck.

Wow nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Where are all the elf cards we were promised!?!

Also, I'd kill for a less than 3 Lore ally!

Otherwise, cool cards...

edit: also what's the cost of Dunedain Wanderer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess no Elves met on the Road to Rivendell. Well, Elladan is.

Hail of Stone is interesting. Another way to get rid of some enemies during the Quest phase.

And the Wanderer, I bet he is cost 4. If he is cost 3 however... could be a great deal with secrecy either way - for coop that is.

Oh, poor old Bombur, that is actually very bad for most of the quests so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:

Yea, not worth it unless underground locations are in play. Great for Khazadum, but tough to justify otherwise. He essentially quests at 1 and can't be boosted by Dain. AND he is unique. Although if you can find a way to unexhaust him, he can do it multiple times . . .

In other news, I really like how the Song of Earendil gives a card draw. I've found that some of the less powerful cards are harder to justify since they are a waste of a card draw. The equation on this one only factors in whether the cost is worth it. Very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, the Song seems useful. It is one of those coop cards but there are plenty of options when it might work just fine.

I keep looking at the Hail of Stone and thinking how much is this an improvement from the somehow similar Rain of Arrows. In an ally heavy deck, this can be super good, I feel, especially as you can get rid of the enemy before the quest resolution: obvious combo with Dúnhere, Thalin, Gondorian Spearman, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
compton9890 wrote:
jpraibis wrote:

Yea, not worth it unless underground locations are in play. Great for Khazadum, but tough to justify otherwise. He essentially quests at 1 and can't be boosted by Dain. AND he is unique. Although if you can find a way to unexhaust him, he can do it multiple times . . .

I'm not following you on how he "can't be boosted by Dain". His ability might not, but wouldn't he still get the +1 will and +1 attack from Dain? I agree that the usefulness of his ability is very focused but in conjunction with Erebor Record Keeper (Khazad-dum), and now Lure of Moria, he'd be quite useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, I do not think the Record Keeper is a great combo with Bombur, Dain will surely find a better use for him.

In a similar fashion, you won't probably want to play Lure of Moria during the Quest phase as it might be generally much more useful to play the event during the Combat phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chung
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies, he's cost 5. I'll update my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
Wow, I do not think the Record Keeper is a great combo with Bombur, Dain will surely find a better use for him.

In a similar fashion, you won't probably want to play Lure of Moria during the Quest phase as it might be generally much more useful to play the event during the Combat phase.

As for Bombur, I agree he isn't great, but he can be useful in the Khazad-dum quests and presumably the upcoming Dwarrodwelf quests that feature underground locations. Combine him with the Record Keeper and he'll easily negate two of those 4 and 5 threat underground locations for just a single Lore resource.

As for Lure of Moria, I'd use it like I use Grim Resolve: have all my (dwarf) characters quest and then use it to ready them all. This would work wonders with two all dwarf decks. I could see using it during combat also, but combat is something the dwarves naturally manage pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatulaguy wrote:
compton9890 wrote:
jpraibis wrote:

I'm not following you on how he "can't be boosted by Dain". His ability might not, but wouldn't he still get the +1 will and +1 attack from Dain? I agree that the usefulness of his ability is very focused but in conjunction with Erebor Record Keeper (Khazad-dum), and now Lure of Moria, he'd be quite useful.

I suspect the final three packs of this cycle will be featuring a lot of Underground locations, given that we'll be once more plumbing the depths of Moria, so he may well be very useful as time goes on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sure, with lots of those Underground location, Bombur will be useful. I am just in general not very fond of cards that are useful only in certain quests... but yes, I understand there will be such cards, I just hoped Bombur could be as good as his brother.

Wow, 5 seems a lot for the Wanderer, still very good with the discount though, but only thus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to figure out in what circumstances we would want to use "The End Comes". Can't.

The great thing about Dunedain Wanderer is that the 5 cost works with Zigi... I can see playing 2 player with one 2-hero/zigi/secrecy deck and the 2nd player with Song of Earendil to keep secrecy active.

I too, want some elves. Maybe that'll be the next big set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
jpraibis wrote:
Sure, with lots of those Underground location, Bombur will be useful. I am just in general not very fond of cards that are useful only in certain quests... but yes, I understand there will be such cards, I just hoped Bombur could be as good as his brother.

Wow, 5 seems a lot for the Wanderer, still very good with the discount though, but only thus.

Agree about the Wanderer. Excellent with the discount, mediocre without it. Bombur is no Bofur, but I think he's still worth one copy in a Dwarf deck. Think about how many Underground locations have high threat values. There are a ton. He's certainly less useful in a scenario like The Redhorn Gate, but he's never a dud. At worst, he's a reasonable meat shield.

Song of Earendil is a game-changing card. Your partner has Boromir? Sure, let him defend against every enemy and attack ten times. Spirit players should have plenty of threat to spare, so they'll just absorb the increase. Need to keep your partner's threat below a certain threshold? Done.

Seriously, this card is designed to play opposite a secrecy deck. Keeping the other player's threat below 20 is now simply a matter of playing one attachment. Then, just focus all threat reduction on yourself to stay afloat. For me, Song of Earendil is the most exciting card in the pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, the Song seems very nice.

Then I know I am mentioning this third time around but since no one has reacted the first two, I do not mind: What do you think of the Hail of Stone? Don't you think this can be a very good card? I based this (as above) on the fact that it deals with the enemy immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chung
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:

Then I know I am mentioning this third time around but since no one has reacted the first two, I do not mind: What do you think of the Hail of Stone? Don't you think this can be a very good card? I based this (as above) on the fact that it deals with the enemy immediately.

I think Hail of Stones can be a potential game changer. It lets you target enemies in the staging area and effectively bypasses their defense. I actually think Tactics got the 2 best cards in this pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Earendil + Dwalin + Orc kill per round = No threat gain for two players.

Very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:

Love Hail of Stone. This falls in the category of cards that let you cancel or eliminate cards after they are revealed during the quest phase but before they:
A. contribute threat to quest resolution
B. before they can attack

Infighting is the only previous existing card that scales the amount of damage to any degree. Agreed, that in combination with Gondorian spearman, Thalin, and Dunhere it is a nice play as they reduce the amount of damage that you actually need to do. I already have a deck including all these cards to manage the staging area, so it fits right in.

I personally think that Rider of the Mark is the treasure of the bunch (as long as you are willing to run two decks with spirit). But all in all this is very strong bunch of cards. I am starting to wonder if there is a two player deck synergy with Rider of the Mark, Wandering Took, and Taking Initiative. I really like Taking initiative (partially because of the direct damage), but I think the limitations on it make it nearly unplayable. Dumping your allies on your friend is a way to stay under the requirement.There isn't quite enough for this right now, but if there are any other cards that reward having few allies I could see Rider of the Mark's value skyrocketing further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
jpraibis wrote:

Yeah, I think it's pretty solid. Direct damage is always good, and the ability to either plink a weenie or exhaust a bunch of characters to take out something bigger gives it great versatility. If you have 6 characters, Attercop dies, 7 characters kill a Cave-troll, etc. Couple it with Lure of Moria for ultimate winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.