flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey guys!

I'm looking for a game like Guillotine

Preferably with :

more planning and strategy
a fun theme
some take this, take that action!

it's ok if the game is as light as Guillotine. I already tried Sitting Ducks Gallery. It's an ok alternative for kids. But not what I'm looking for.

thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Parade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family Business

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/170/family-business

Is similar with maybe a little more strategy but not much more.

The Poo game is very fun and very simple take that game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/60579/poo-the-card-game

It really depends on what you are looking for in regards to being similar to Guillotine.

Cutthroat caverns is defiantly what I would consider the ultimate take that game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28259/cutthroat-caverns

Lastly off the top of my head I think

The fluxx series:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29387/zombie-fluxx

has a lot of rule changes, screwing people over and planning invovled. There is lots of different themes like zombies, Monty Python, space and many more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivanhoe has a little more strategy and planning, maybe a little less thematic, but has lots of take that action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

King Me! isn't more strategic, but it is more tactical, and can be a lot of fun with the right group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely definitely Cutthroat Caverns and all the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

King Me! isn't more strategic, but it is more tactical, and can be a lot of fun with the right group.

I use this game as a gateway game, but I only do that because I am sick of Ticket to Ride, and I enjoy this game because it has clever tactics versus cutting someone off in TtR just do annoy someone blatantly. In King Me! you can annoy someone, but it is indirectly, so no hard feelings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Since a couple people are suggesting Parade, I'll suggest Circus Flohcati, which has many of the same elements. And pictures of fleas juggling and doing other weird circus stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a 2 player game with tons of comical/quasi historical humor Yetisburg isn't a bad one. The main downside is that the game is primarily luck based (both in terms of card draw and more importantly chit draw). I think it has less replayability than guillotine does for that reason.

I've found that Survive Escape from Atlantis has done very well with groups who liked Guillotine. There is a lot of take that action and comical misfortune for all. It's not a cheap card game like Guillotine but I think the quality of the bits more than makes up for the cost.

Unless you are playing with 6-10 year olds I wouldn't recommend Poo. Reading the cards the first time can be a laugh but the game itself can drag on endlessly and has very little decision making involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F.
United States
Springville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opus-Dei: Existence After Religion is a ripoff of Guillotine.

Here is a good post comparing the two:
Opus Dei vs. Guillotine: a detailed comparison
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was at the Mayfair GenCon booth last year, I was in line with someone buying Bacchus' Banquet. He couldn't stop raving about it and said if I liked Guillotine, I'd like this.

I didn't pick up a copy, and the reviews seem to draw more comparisons to BANG! than anything else (so obviously direct comparisons to Guillotine can't be made), but it can't hurt drawing people's attention to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.