Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about running a two scenario campaign under the following rules:

Players choose characters and abilities.

Each player is assigned one free surge. This does not replenish between adventures.

One player is selected the 'leader'.

Before the first scenario, the group leader may draw one of Ninjadorg's Barovia Event cards. Reads it's effects, then may decide to draw another one and hand it to a player. He can do this a number of times up to the number of players. This kinda/sorta/abstractly represents the lead character's preparation with a little push your luck.

Ninjadorg's tile event cards are also in play.

While exploring, characters receive one token for each experience point they gain. Experience points are _not_ shared.

During play, a player can spend exp as follows: 5 exp to level up. 5 exp for a surge. 2 exp to cancel an event card -starting with the player to draw it go around the table to see if anyone is willing to spend exp to cancel the card. (These numbers may need to be revisited since there is no pool to choose from. 5 exp to level up or surge may be too high a cost for an individual. Thoughts?)

Scenario ends when party is successful or no heroes are left with surges. Play to the last survivor. If any hero is left without hps when the scenario is completed they may draw a new character or start the same one fresh in the second scenario. Those that are standing (have hps) get to retain their exps/treasure/level.

All hp is replenished between the two adventures. Leader has the option to draw Barovia cards as above, then into scenario two.

After the second scenario, each player is scored as following most of Peter Lee's rules:
1 pt per hp left
1 pt per exp left
5 points per healing surge
2 pts per unused daily power
1 pt per unused treasure

The player with the most pts is the winner and the next time we play that player get's to start his character as either the leader or with an extra treasure (but everyone will start over with fresh level one characters).

So, I'm curious on y'alls initial thoughts. Too tough without the shared pool of exp to use? How about with the addition of the Barovia/Tile Event cards? Too easy with everyone having their own one-time surge to use?

I'm not big on long campaigns, but find following a character over a few short scenarios interesting. That, plus I hope having an overall nightly winner within the team game will make it a bit more interesting. However, my biggest concern is that players may not opt to cancel out event cards unless it effects their player directly, as I guess folks would rather there by a TPK than to spend exp that'll help others. This is partially why I lowered the cancellation to 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 5xp for the surge is ok because it is very powerful but since you are not not sharing pools I would go with 3xp to level up and 3 to cancel an encounter. It might make things harder the first run though for cancelling encounters but then they start to level up and or keep their gear so it should get easier for the 2nd run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.