Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

BIOS: MEGAFAUNA is a richly layered design that has multiple key concepts that are either somewhat complex and/or frequently utilized, which may make them all hard to remember. One such key concept is Size.

I'm hoping that this summary thread proves useful to players learning the game, and also in helping them develop various strategies to survive.

Please feel free to post any items that I've overlooked, and I'll edit this post to keep it updated - thanks and enjoy.

2.5) Map Tracks: Place one of a species' animals on the Size Track (2.5a) on the map to show its Size. Remember to remove this if the species ever becomes extinct (16.2b).

7.2) Mutation Size Limits: A species may only use a card to Mutate if its Size falls within the Size range limits as printed on the card.

7.3) Adding Roadrunner DNA: To acquire Wings (7.3b) or a Subterranean Colony (7.3c), a species must be at Size 1. This restriction is always in effect.

7.4) Playing a Genotype Card (Speciation): The parent species must be within the size range specified (also matching the silhouette and already having at least 1/2 - rounded up - of the indicated DNA) to play the card. Further note that there is no Inheritance (10.3) when Speciating (the Child gains only the DNA off the Genotype card).

8.0) Resize One Of Your Species: As your Action for your turn, you may adjust (grow or shrink) one of your species by 1 on the Size Track. This may affect its Mutation cards (discard if the new Size is beyond the Size range indicated), Genotype cards (place into your Fossil Record for endgame VP's if beyond the Size range indicated), and Inheritance Tiles (return back to your pool if beyond the Size range noted on the tile), all per 8.0a. Further, and importantly, note that when Herbivore prey resizes, any Predators feeding on it may immediately adjust their Size by 1 for free (8.0b).

9.2) Benefits of Acculturation: A species that develops the Tool Use Culture (9.2a) ignores all Size limitations on its cards and tiles (but must still be at Size 1 for Wings and Subterranean Colonies).

10.3) Inheritance: When expanding, a Child inherits the same Size as its parent, 10.3a (the same rule applies to Speciation with a Genotype card, per 7.4c). Also, all Inheritance Tiles list a Size range, and a Child cannot inherit a tile (from your available pool) if its Size is beyond those limits (10.3c).

11.0) Migration: A species may Migrate a distance equal to its Size. Note that per the Living Rules, for each 'P' DNA that the species has, its Migration range is increased +1. Species with Wings (7.3b, must be at Size 1) have a Migration range of 7 (11.0a). Amphibians (just one 'M' DNA, 11.1c) have their Migration range reduced by 1 (yes, an Amphibian at Size 1 cannot expand beyond its Habitat unless it has 'P' DNA to increase its Migration range).

13.2) Niche Contest: When culling Herbivores, if the Biome Tile indicates "Size" then the smallest Herbivore may be rendered extinct if the condition comes into play (13.2b).

14.1) Prey Suitability: There can be no more than 1 Size differential (either smaller or larger) between a Predator and its prey if the Predator is to survive, 14.1a (and of course the Predator must have the proper Roadrunner DNA unless it has the Projectile-Hunting Culture, 9.2c). This Size restriction may be ignored if the Predator species has the Bone-Cracking Culture (9.2b).

14.4) Competition with Immigrants: An Immigrant Predator is automatically the same size as its prey (Herbivore Immigrants have their Size printed on their tile).

16.3) Lazarus Player: When resurrecting an extinct player, they may Size their animal at any level within the Size range of the Mutation card being utilized, 16.3a.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Gabrieloff
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even having read the living rules before my first play, I missed the P means +1 migration range. Thanks for this post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of summary is great. I look forward to more in the series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
EduardoX wrote:
Even having read the living rules before my first play, I missed the P means +1 migration range. Thanks for this post!

me too
thanks
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.