James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled upon an interesting card combo today playing as Colossus. Background: I was playing against Terran, so 1) I didn't want to sit back and let them build up their workers; and 2) I wanted to avoid concentrating resources into one building that could get nuked. I state this ahead of time because I didn't go into the game aiming for the combo that won me the game, it just occurred.

I rushed with a gun on turn 1 and on grabbed the frontier on turn 2, then I didn't draw an attack card until about turn 15. In the meantime, I built another gun, 2 missile buildings, a melee weapon (Vorpal Blade for the scouting), and a laser, about 9 units total. As for upgrades, I had seen both Glory Strike and both Missile Rack cards. I played one Missile Rack card earlier but then built over it to execute my plan.

The plan hinged on the fact that both sides had been building up all game. I had no idea what my opponent had. He had scouted me around turn 15. The plan: P.S.Y.C.H.O. plus Glory Strike attack on his base, eliminate as many of his units as possible on the first round, tough out the rest of the battle.

P.S.Y.C.H.O. + Glory Strike: The benefits of Glory Strike increase the more firepower you have because it depends on disabling as much of your opponent's strength in that first volley. P.S.Y.C.H.O. massively increases your firepower.

P.S.Y.C.H.O. + cheap units: P.S.Y.C.H.O. has a greater benefit with lots of cheap units because each unit gets that +2 combat strength bonus. Furthermore, it really sucks if one of your expensive units rolls depletion. P.S.Y.C.H.O. doesn't benefit as much from units with attack 4 because 6's are automatic misses.

P.S.Y.C.H.O. vs. scouting: Scouting is less important if you have P.S.Y.C.H.O. because every one of your units will very likely have a decent chance to hit whatever enemy it gets paired up with.

Putting the strategy into play: If you want to try this strategy, my suggestion would be to make P.S.Y.C.H.O. one of your starting cards. The second card can be a cheap weapon building. With 2 Glory Strike in the deck, you're expected to draw the first one about 1/3rd of the way into the deck. In the meantime, build up forces and take the frontier. Then when everything is in place, try to take out his base in one psychotic blaze of glory.

Countering the strategy: 1) The Colossus only has one P.S.Y.C.H.O., so you only have to worry about one. 2) Don't let a Colossus build up too much. Glory Strike synergizes with firepower, so attack when you think you'll have a decent match-up, before the Colossus grows too big. 3) Have a force that can snipe the Glory Strike upgrade if you're really worried about it.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've executed early P.S.Y.C.H.O by luck (I get it early) not by preparing for it from the starting hands. And yes, it's devastating. With cheap guns and missiles and lasers, it's almost unbeatable if the enemy is not prepared, unless the enemy rolls great and you roll sucks.

Simplest way to counter is destroying the P.S.Y.C.H.O. People are usually neglecting building destroyer units, but against Colossus they're more valuable. The tides could be turned instantly if you manage to destroy P.S.Y.C.H.O in 1st round. Glory Strike mitigates this a little bit though.

My another favorite combo is P.S.Y.C.H.O with Standoff (only missiles attack during 1st round, enemy cannot attack back) Make sure having 2 missiles with each having 2 or 3 units, and the havoc they created could set back the enemy a lot for the 2nd round.

This was played in the back of my mind:

Good times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmot wrote:
Simplest way to counter is destroying the P.S.Y.C.H.O. People are usually neglecting building destroyer units, but against Colossus they're more valuable. The tides could be turned instantly if you manage to destroy P.S.Y.C.H.O in 1st round. Glory Strike mitigates this a little bit though.

And the simplest way to counter that is to not play P.S.Y.C.H.O. until you're going to use it. Otherwise, it's just taking up an upgrade slot. Some upgrades I'll leave out to make the enemy sweat, e.g. with Jump Jets, make him wonder if I'll deep strike or not, but I don't want to, I don't have to pay any resources.

I didn't think about P.S.Y.C.H.O. + Standoff. Standoff is a cool card, I just never know when I'm going to draw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Darkmot wrote:

And the simplest way to counter that is to not play P.S.Y.C.H.O. until you're going to use it. Otherwise, it's just taking up an upgrade slot. Some upgrades I'll leave out to make the enemy sweat, e.g. with Jump Jets, make him wonder if I'll deep strike or not, but I don't want to, I don't have to pay any resources.

I didn't think about P.S.Y.C.H.O. + Standoff. Standoff is a cool card, I just never know when I'm going to draw it.

But P.S.Y.C.H.O can be destroyed, even if it's already activated, and the effects will cease to exist. So what I meant was, if the enemy Colossus activating P.S.Y.C.H.O, you should try to destroy it (by preparing few units with high building attack rating) to shut down the P.S.Y.C.H.O.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmot wrote:
But P.S.Y.C.H.O can be destroyed, even if it's already activated, and the effects will cease to exist. So what I meant was, if the enemy Colossus activating P.S.Y.C.H.O, you should try to destroy it (by preparing few units with high building attack rating) to shut down the P.S.Y.C.H.O.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't P.S.Y.C.H.O. discarded after activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Colossus rulebook pg.3

Quote:
At the end of a Battle where P.S.Y.C.H.O. has been activated the
card is discarded.

If P.S.Y.C.H.O. is destroyed by the opponent during a
battle, the effects stop at the end of that combat round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see what you mean: during the battle, destroy the PSYCHO to stop its effect. In addition to high building attack units, you'll probably want a decent number of forces so you can position the unit close to the Chassis cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.