Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I don't get the portals rule as described on page 7 of the just released Wiz-War rulebook.

I DO understand that the map is wrap-around, but I dont understand why sometimes a exit from one side to the other is just that (a warp-around) and sometimes a portal has to be placed.

Could someone please fill me in on the portal rules?

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of them as "re-wiring" exceptions to the default wrap around rule. Instead of wrapping around to the other side of the row/column, the portals pair up to join exits that are not on the same row/column. Note that they come in pairs, and that there must be at least two pairs in order to avoid ambiguity/confusion.

As to the "why", I suspect it was to make sections of the map more easily accessible to each other. In a four-player game, the dude whose base is diagonally opposite to yours is, regardless of wrapping, always going to be two tiles away. With the portals added, any given tile on that map is now only ever one tile away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Thanks for your answer - I think I understand the basics now, but...

Judging by the picture on page 7, in the upper wizards' maptile, the square that gets the violet portal ("2") would perfectly 'wrap around' to the other side of the same map tile. So why is it not a wrap-around but a portal?

Could it be that no wrap around is allowed for the same maptile and that every way out has to lead to another wizards' maptile?

Which player assigns the different coloured portals? How does it work in a four player game?

I'm really puzzled, sorry... O.o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the end sorry, bottom of pg. 5 of the rulebook for examples of portal placement. And there is an explanation of how Portals and the Pac-man wrap around works on the illustrated example on pg. 7.

Also, I believe that, like Pac-Man the boards wrap around on all sides that have opening that lead into empty space. The portals are just used to show places that don't wrap around to the directly opposing side.

From Pg. 3 of the Rulebook "Portal Markers indicate squares on the edges of the labyrinth that are connected to each other when it is not obvious that they are."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all clear to me now!

There are even diagrams to where portals have to be placed for all of the map layouts.

Thank you very much!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Play without portals if you want, they just make for more interesting boards. For example the 4 player board without portals is topologically a torus, while with the portals it's a Klein Bottle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.