Popular Tags: [View All]
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, BJ--you master of understatement, you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a lot worse than this happens in and after combat, and that includes every war ever fought, including the so-called "Good War" of World War Two. I'm not defending it, but it's reality. I won't judge, because while I served in the Army, I was never in combat, so I'm not sure what I might do if I've been in a bunch of firefights, lost friends, nearly gotten killed myself, and now just captured or killed some of the assholes who just killed by buddy and almost killed me.

My only question - who in that unit thought that taking pictures was a good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
My only question - who in that unit thought that taking pictures was a good idea?

The one that pee'd on himself b/c he was holding the camera...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Also, I don't think there's anything really wrong with peeing on a corpse, as long as friends and family of the deceased don't find out about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank goodness it wasn't a number 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't you just know that this is just going to provide fresh propaganda fodder for all the Taliban and Al Qaeda websites which, with all the other past embarrassing photographs of the abused prisoners of the Iraqi prisons that they already carry, will help them recruit new converts to drive the "Crusaders" out of the Middle East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always think the TV version of that has the best lines cut out:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
MyTwoCents wrote:

Which is exactly why there's nothing honorable about CHOOSING to be a combat soldier.

I don't think that people who make the choice are making an informed choice. No one can imagine how REAL combat rewires your brain. They are fed the glorious version of heroic combat that makes you a real man. What they don't realize is that combat changes you forever, sometimes for the very worse. As such, the reasons they choose to be a combat soldier may very well be honorable, but they don't realize that who they might become is less than honorable.

Sometimes this negative behavior is a result of personality type and sometimes it is from poor leadership. Obviously the superiors of soldiers who act like this should be disciplined as they have not properly controlled the negative consequences of combat on their soldiers and as such have compromised the general mission. You can rationalize all day that combat soldiers will do bad things, but as their superior you have to control these things just like you would control any other battlefield variable in order to insure success of the mission. The damage done by acts like this can be catastrophic in the bigger picture. What irks me is sometimes there is a "boys will be boys" attitude about acts like this that can be very shortsighted. If you are going to claim to be a Professional military, than make sure you act like one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm increasingly uncomfortable with our place in the narrative structure of this war."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
"I'm increasingly uncomfortable with our place in the narrative structure of this war."

That to me is the line that makes the sketch really brilliant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you train your military to think of the enemy a targets, not humans, these events will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another disgraceful one of soldiers having fun at the expense of a dog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a frat boy piss on a homeless guy once downtown. And I've seen a family member shoot a dog for fun.

Assholism is universal. I can find an asshole like these in every walk of life. The military is not immune. You can't train assholism out of a person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I've seen a frat boy piss on a homeless guy once downtown. And I've seen a family member shoot a dog for fun.

Assholism is universal. I can find an asshole like these in every walk of life. The military is not immune. You can't train assholism out of a person.

Perhaps not, but the nice thing about the military in that regard is that it can penalize the hell out of it. Fortunately Mark Harmon and team are on the job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb

Heroes make sure that they give it a little shake at the end to be totally sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
China
Guangzhou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
When you train your military to think of the enemy a targets, not humans, these events will happen.
By now many enlisted have grown up in a life full of war. If you imagine the average soldier/airman/marine to be at most 24, we have been a war with the Middle East since before they hit puberty.

Heck for them it is probably normal to be molested at airports or constantly taped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

MWChapel wrote:

Assholism is universal.

I can find an asshole like these in every walk of life. The military is not immune. You can't train assholism out of a person.

Since U.S. soldiers also serve as unofficial U.S. embassadors of goodwill in the areas of occupation that they're protecting, we can ill afford to have assholes direly compromising the image of the United States.

Best to remove and prosecute with all due diligence the bad apples lest their ignoble exploits and influence taint the whole barrel.

And by the way, Asshole-ism is NOT universal as the ABC series "What Would YOU Do?" proves with flying colors in showing people's true colors.

Moreover, me myself, I'm the type of person who wouldn't hesitate to intervene if I saw a frat boy pissing on a homeless guy. I also wouldn't hesitate to intervene to try to prevent a family member or anybody else from shooting a dog for fun.

And I can say this not only as a pledge of what I would do in such scenarios but also from experience from what I actually have done in some similar situations.

As those time-honored sayings go: Silence is assent, and Evil triumphs when good men stand by without venturing to offer even any meaningful opposition to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
The only real issue here is who the FUCK took pictures of this crap and then put it on the Internet?

Stuff like this happens all the time in war. Yes, its not pleasant, but this is really mild stuff compared to US Marines taking Japanese ears and fingers after battles.

The issue is that someone thought that this was soooo cool that they just HAD to put it on the internet. Rather, someone- either a corporal, or a sergeant, or their Lieutenant, should have stepped in, and said "Ok, guys, that's enough" and imposed discipline.

And as for the guy who took the film?

He's the only one who should face a Courts Martial for breaking military secrecy about ongoing actions.

But for those out to make this as the next Abu-Ghraib...this is a totally isolated and stupid incident. The only things these Marines are really guilty of is surviving a firefight and being dicks afterward.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Darilian wrote:
The only real issue here is who the FUCK took pictures of this crap and then put it on the Internet?

USA Today reported Wednesday that it is unknown who filmed the video, but it appears it was first uploaded to YouTube by a user identified as "semperfiLoneVoice." Since "Semper Fi" (a contraction of the Latin phrase "semper fidelis") is the Marine Corps' motto and translates in English to "always faithful", it would appear that the poster was a Marine himself and a morally-outraged whistleblower who felt that his superiors had not taken the matter seriously and that public disclosure of the matter was the only other route left to him.

More often than not, though, the perpetrators of such exploits video/film themselves in order to share it privately with friends and family. I would guess it was later shared by one of the friends of the Marines who sent it on to others.

Darilian wrote:
Stuff like this happens all the time in war. Yes, its not pleasant, but this is really mild stuff compared to US Marines taking Japanese ears and fingers after battles."

Do you honestly think if we had the Internet in World War II that our military would have tolerated similar whistle-blown-reported incidents of soldiers being filmed cutting off the ears of enemy soldiers' and showing off their treasure trove of ear necklaces?

Darilian wrote:
The issue is that someone thought that this was soooo cool that they just HAD to put it on the internet.

On the contrary, I believe it was because the Marine viewer of that footage who eventually posted it to the Internet got rather hot under the collar about it and posted it to voice his volcanic outrage about it.

Darilian wrote:
Rather, someone- either a corporal, or a sergeant, or their Lieutenant, should have stepped in, and said "Ok, guys, that's enough" and imposed discipline.

We don't yet know whether there was even a superior officer present to do that.

Darilian wrote:
And as for the guy who took the film?

He's the only one who should face a Courts Martial for breaking military secrecy about ongoing actions.

Nonsense! Our nation's ongoing actions sanctioned for the field of battle do NOT include urinating OR desecrating the bodies of the enemy dead.

Darilian wrote:
But for those out to make this as the next Abu-Ghraib...this is a totally isolated and stupid incident.

You seem to forget that some six months before the disclosure of the Abu-Ghraib scandal that there had been other similar-whistle-blown incidents involving British soldiers. So, while I would certainly hope such incidents were isolated, the recent court cases involving American soldiers who knowingly and deliberately killed unarmed non-provocative civilians suggests that it remains to be seen whether the incidence of these sort of direly embarrassing incidents has abated somewhat or whether they're still occurring on a semi-regular, if not regular, basis.

Darilian wrote:
The only things these Marines are really guilty of is surviving a firefight and being dicks afterward.

Since they knowingly pulled out their peckers for a video camera that was filming their godawful post-battle exploit, they are also guilty of knowingly desecrating the bodies of enemy dead as well as giving the enemy rreason to exploit that video footage as proof positive that the U.S. forces are de-facto "crusaders against Islam".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Abu Ghraib this ain't.

This too shall pass.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Darilian wrote:
Abu Ghraib this ain't.

This too shall pass.

But the footage of this incident will be replayed endlessly and remain on the Taliban and Al Qaeda recruiting websites to incite others to join their cause unless or until they're finally dismantled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Dolphinandrew wrote:
I always think the TV version of that has the best lines cut out:

What is the origin of this hilarious skit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightinlegalist1 wrote:

It's a live version of a sketch from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Mitchell_and_Webb_Look

(Actually the radio version is first, from "That Mitchell and Webb sound", which is more or less the same as the live sketch. Except, you know, without pictures.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Dolphinandrew wrote:
fightinlegalist1 wrote:

It's a live version of a sketch from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Mitchell_and_Webb_Look

(Actually the radio version is first, from "That Mitchell and Webb sound", which is more or less the same as the live sketch. Except, you know, without pictures.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.