Hide
12 Posts

Dreadfleet» Forums » Rules

Subject: seadrake's bolt throwers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
azure blue
msg tools
My questions is what is the bolt throwers rule means?

The rule say "when drawing a damage card as a result of the Seadrake firing a broadside, draw as many cards as necessary until a crew card is drawn."

I think there are two explanations:
First, the ship boardsided by Seadrake must draw the damage cards equal to the result of the Seadrake's boardside. For example, when Seadrake succeed to make three hits which didn't be canceled by armour, the target ship must draw the damage cards until it gets three crew cards.

Second, only when Seadrake gets "one" effective hit, the target ship has to draw the damage cards until it gets "one" crew card. If Searake makes the effective 2+ hits, the target draw the damage cards by the general rule as usual.

I think second explanation is good, because the first will give Seadrake too powerful ability to sink the enemy ship in one turn.(most ships' crew is 3)

what do you think? which one is correct or better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the first one is correct: Any none-crew cards drawn are discarded without effect and re-drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the seadrake only hits crew. It doesn't have as many broadside dice as the more powerful ships, so you'[re not likely to take a perfectly healthy ship to being sunk this way.

(The one very rare excetion to hitting crew would be if you reached the end of the deck while searching. In this situation, you just take the next damage card and apply it no matter what it is.)

On another note - the Seadrake can't use any of the special ammunition types, since it doesn't use cannons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
(The one very rare excetion to hitting crew would be if you reached the end of the deck while searching. In this situation, you just take the next damage card and apply it no matter what it is.)

Actually, that's if you reach the end of the deck TWICE, since it would mean there are no Crew Damage cards left, which is an even more extreme case!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, the rules simply say that if you reach the end of the deck and can't find a specific card, you pull the next one after reshuffling. I don't recall it saying "twice", but I could be misremembering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules with me, but the Universal Head Rules summary doesn't say "twice".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You run through the deck until you find an appropriate card.
If you run out, re-shuffle and start again.
If you don't find any and run the deck again, that's when the provision triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
If you don't find any and run the deck again, that's when the provision triggers.

You can play it that way, but I don't believe that's what the rulebook says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But I was wrong about one thing before. You use the last card in the deck, not the first one after reshuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Slev wrote:

You can play it that way, but I don't believe that's what the rulebook says.

Felkor wrote:
But I was wrong about one thing before. You use the last card in the deck, not the first one after reshuffling.

That's how I understood teh rule book. If you run our of cards, re-shuff;le and go through again. If you run out, the last card counts. At this point you have been through the deck twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the rules today and it definitely does not say you search through the deck again. If you reach the end of the deck looking for a card, then you just take the last card, even if there would be the one you're looking for in the deck after reshuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
I checked the rules today and it definitely does not say you search through the deck again. If you reach the end of the deck looking for a card, then you just take the last card, even if there would be the one you're looking for in the deck after reshuffling.

I sit corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.