13 Posts

Dust Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: Which faction do you prefer and why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Buckingham
msg tools
mb
Well, I haven't played a game yet so I can't say much about why I like the American walker, except for the look of them. Love the Fireball and look forward to building an Army around it.

Which faction do you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cadieux
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have a favorite yet. Maybe that will come when other nationalities are introduced to the game. What is the Fireball by the way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the Fireball:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a real hard-time picking a favorite.

Looks-wise, i prefer the Axis. Cooler mechas and infantry.
But then, the longer i am playing, the more the Allies look is growing on me. I am starting to slowly prefer their mechas to the Axis, though not the infantry. The Allies are just "too generic" for my taste.

Mechanics-wise, i am definitely an attacker in most games and i usually am the one who likes to charge first rather than defend. The Allies are more geared towards that and the Axis trying to kill them before the Allies can get too close.
But. I. Hate. The. Flamethrowers. Dunno why, but i just don't like to play with flamethrowers. The Allies have so many of them it makes them almost unavoidable.

I love the speed of the Allies, but definitely not their weapons.

So i play mainly Axis, trying desperately to keep my instincts in check and not charge headlong too fast.

That's part of the reason why i am anxiously waiting for the aircrafts to come out. They are bound to be faster to move and may therefore be more in line with my preferences of play.

I am also really waiting for the Vrill, hoping they have "fast-little buggers in large numbers" in their ranks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah Terry
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been playing for about a half a month, but so far I'm liking the Axis lasers, been having very good luck with them and Ludwig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Allies almost exclusively. It's not as much my choice as much as it is that virtually everyone I play with would rather be the Axis. In the end, I actually do like the Allies better. I find they have more interesting units - the Axis mainly get units that have more dice and/or are damage resilient - which are passive advantages that you don't really do anything special to use. The Allied units get more interesting abilities like jump, and faster moving units, etc., that require me to think about interesting ways to use them to my advantage, which I like more.

Similar to Martin, I originally liked the look of the Axis vehicles more, but have since changed my mind and I like the look of the Allied vehicles more now. To me they fit the theme better - I can't really imagine the Allied walkers in any other game, but I can imagine the Axis walkers in just about any sci-fi game.

That said, on the rare occasion I do get to play the Axis, I sure have a lot of fun rolling for the lasers and using some of their more powerful units like the Ludwig. I'm at the point now where I wouldn't mind playing with the Axis more, if only to get a better understanding of them to help my Allied gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently bought the game but I must say I'm in love with Axis and I never thought I would, even in Medal of Honor I used to play on the Allies side every time, but when I saw the Axis Mechs, they reminded me of Mechwarrior and the Axis infantry reminded me of Killzone, I'm not sure how I feel about the Zombies but the Apes look great, the Zombie hero Totenmiester looks awesome too!

To make long story short, Axis are made of pure awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In heavily obstructed terrain... the axis is nasty... those zombies and monkies can take down allied strongholds with relative ease...

More open terrain, I like Allies like Grim reapers to rip them apart...

Fireball was the factor that pushed me to the Allied side...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cadieux
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be getting Fireball for my upcoming birthday. Can't wait to add it to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies are pretty nasty in obstructed terrain as well. Hell Boys, BBQ, Hammers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Gentile
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prefer Axis, as to why; the Ranged unit superiority, the lasers and the colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
having been a minis gamer for about 20 years , i decided this time i would only play 1 army , regardless of what cool stuff another might have .

i see units in both sides that look cool , and have some good abilities .

when i ran my week of demos when the game first came out , i noticed that the vast majority of people wanted to play the allies . i figured that with the predominant desire people have to play allies , i would play axis , just to provide a good adversary , so we didnt always just have allies vs allies battle .

had more people preffered to play axis , i would have played allies .

but i think its fair to say that i OWN the axis , as attested by my blog , even if they were not really my choice to play .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snowdrop drop
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
This far I prefer Axis (although I wouldn't mind playing Soviet later on).

I think most players will identify themselves with Allies as they are somehow portrayed as the "good guys". Allies, and US in particular, are always associated with society's values, which isn't strange at all given the victorious are the ones that wrote history (and also omitted to write some parts of it ; )

To me the Axis have more character and distinct mythos associated with them: Even though I am strongly opposed to fascism and the nazi stigma is removed from the story it's inheritance still lurks there. Axis are more "mystical".

The looks of the mechs and overall Axis gear is also something I'd prefer anytime over the Allies, but that's just what happens to be my personal taste and me also happening to be a huge sci-fi enthusiast. Overall I'm happy that they have distinct mech styles and hope they will keep it that way in general - that the game doesn't end up having a majority of the units being very similar visually even if the factions do refit each other's captured machines on occasion.

When playing I find it important to not only pick whatever faction I believe will bring me the easiest victory, but to actually select something that has a feeling over it and that also looks good on the table. Winning isn't necessarily my goal: Enjoying the game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.