Wayne Harding
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quest card 3B for the first adventure reads:

"When Revealed: Each player must search the encounter deck and discard pile for 1 Spider card of his choice, and add it to the staging area."

"The players must find and defeat Ungoliant's Spawn to win this game."

My Question:
If you have already beat Ungoliant's Spawn earlier in the game, do you need to pull him from the discard pile and fight him again to win?

Thank you
Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yep. As soon as that card is flipped, it sets a passive victory condition. Even if you have killed the spider earlier in the game, you'll need to fulfill the victory condition while stage 3B is active.

You can also think of it from a narrative perspective. That quest card is clearly forcing you into a "boss battle," so it makes sense that you'll have to confront the big nasty one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Harding
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the quick reply
Thats what I thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this for the first time without looking at the potential victory conditions so we didn't plan for this to work out this way. Please let me know if we did this right.

We had the Leadership deck and the green one (sorry name escapes me the one with a ton of healing and traps that lock down monsters).

In about phase two we got Ungoliant's spawn come out. The 2nd player uses the trap card which makes the Spawn unable to attack.

He was then still on the board when the victory condition came out which said we must defeat him to win.

My 2 questions.

1. In each combat phase, even if he cannot attack will the spawn still get a shadow card?

2. If he never can attack can we still just pummel him during quest card 3 for the easy/cheesy victory?

I figure that it's just dumb luck that we had him locked down for a while and hadn't killed him b/c we didn't realize we had the potential need to kill him later (ie we didn't do it on purpose). We were kinda busy with other threats/monsters for a while so we never got to killing the spawn. I know we also took it in our own hands risking it b/c 2 shadow cards later after game over would have been to discard an attachment which would have cut the spawn loose.

Thanks for any help!

-GJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would just pull a different spider out of the deck, pummel the Spawn and declare victory. It doesn't say you have to pull the Spawn out, just a spider. Players pull the Spawn out because that gets him to the Staging area quickest, but if he's already there ..all the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekJock wrote:
1. In each combat phase, even if he cannot attack will the spawn still get a shadow card?

Yes. He gets a shadow card, it does nothing, and then at the end of combat you discard that shadow card.

Quote:
2. If he never can attack can we still just pummel him during quest card 3 for the easy/cheesy victory?

Yes. Forest Snare costs 3 Lore for a reason. It's powerful. This quest is also crazy-easy, and is mainly meant as a way to cement the basic rules into your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
GeekJock wrote:

Yes. A shadow card is dealt to each engaged enemy at the start of each combat phase. If a given enemy cannot attack (due to Forest Snare, Feint, or another similar effect), the shadow card attached to that enemy will not be resolved and will be harmlessly discarded at the end of the phase.

GeekJock wrote:

Indeed you can. You only need to defeat the Spawn while the Stage 3B victory condition is active. It doesn't matter how you do it. A bit anti-climactic, but legal. You'll notice, though, that some tougher enemies (notably the Nazgul of Dol Guldur--check the FAQ) cannot have attachments played on them, so you won't be able to lock them down with a Forest Snare. As you also noted, there are a few shadow effects that can force you to discard attachments, so victory is by no means assured even if you manage to trap the Spawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton guys!

You hit the nail on the head about the 1st one being a learning scenario for the rules and such. It does a good job at this and for experienced Deck building etc players it won't take long to figure out how to win it.

I look forward to getting some more plays with the more difficult ones and buying some more!

The bad part is I am much better at deck building then I am at building a deck (ie I am not the best MTG builder) so I'll have to work on that aspect for the later released adventures.

Great game tho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, remember that the Forest Snare is an attachment so normally it can only be played during the planning phase. Also, it can only be played an on engaged enemy. This means that, unless you do something clever, the enemy you want to snare gets at least one chance to attack before you can snare it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiltshire
Australia
Ingleburn
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
This quest is also crazy-easy, and is mainly meant as a way to cement the basic rules into your head.

Wow, either you're incredibly lucky, playing it wrong or understand something about playing this game I don't or I am incredibly unlucky or playing it wrong.

I've just played my first three solo games all on this quest and been smashed 2 of the 3 times using the prebuilt decks.

The one I won with was the spirit deck and only because I got the 3b card that you win by questing on.

With the tactics deck I got stuck a few turns in. I was still on card 1 of the quest which had one quest token on it from round 1. I had the old forest road an active location and 2 locations were in the staging area with 4 threat between them. Apart from Gandalf there don't seem to be any allies who add willpower so there doesn't seem to be a way to advance the quest with staging cards stacking up. So turn after turn went by with threat going up and hit the 50 mark and ended in frustrating loss.

With the lore deck I was doing fine until the last quest card - which was the kill the ungoliant spawn card. I started that last quest card with 3 or 4 allies and all three heroes intact. But with 3 enemies engaged when Ungoliant's spawn came out I had no chance - survived one round by dealing damage to red shirt allies. Survived second round (just) with the elf woman character only alive - Denothor and the other one went down heroically (because of the extra shadow cards mind you). Third round of that dead - and even if survived that round - since there was no questing going on threat level would have maxed out at 50 in 2 or 3 more turns anyway. And with only one character left just can't build resources to bring out more cards.

Crazy easy I don't think - at least not with the starter decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a general consensus that while the pre-built Tactics deck *can* beat quests, it usually *won't* in solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let my posting history in this rules forum speak to my understanding of playing the game correctly. However, it would have been more accurate for me to say that the Mirkwood quest is "crazy easy compared to all other quests." You're still not going to beat it 100% of the time with the starter decks. And as others have pointed out, the pre-built Tactics deck can have a hard time with any quest.

The game is hard, and you lose a lot. It's a good solo / co-op that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.