Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: First time solo play with 1 charachter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I was playing as Mandy the researcher and got to the point where i had to battle the AO Cthulu but I was just wondering how the final battle would work in this situation.I had a combat rating of ten (including items) plus 8 clue tokens.He has a -6 effect for combat which let me roll 4 .I got 4 successes on my first roll so does this mean I could remove 4 hit markers off his track.Also am I allowed to use my clue tokens to help re-roll dice ifunsuccessfull.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it right -- almost.

A combat rating of ten minus Cthulhu's combat modifier of six means you roll four dice. Strategically, you will want to then also roll ALL your clue tokens to roll extra dice. What's the exact text of Mandy's reroll ability?

Also, note that it takes at *least* three turns to seal or close a gate. That means a solo investigator won't be able to win with a sealed gate victory. Try playing the game where you draw a Mythos card every third turn, then more often when a gate fails to open at a sealed location.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Mandys special ability allows her to re-roll 0nce per turn any unsuccessfull dice.Also was i right about how much damage i did to the AO Thanks
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karlosr wrote:
Mandys special ability allows her to re-roll 0nce per turn any unsuccessfull dice.Also was i right about how much damage i did to the AO Thanks

Yes, since there is only one investigator, you would remove one doom track marker for each success. So, if Mandy rolled four successes you would remove four markers.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Mucha
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
note that it takes at *least* three turns to seal or close a gate. That means a solo investigator won't be able to win with a sealed gate victory.
It is possible. In one game I get early two elder sign cards and managed to pull 6 seal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniele daniele
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
mbmb
NthPower wrote:
karlosr wrote:
Mandys special ability allows her to re-roll 0nce per turn any unsuccessfull dice.Also was i right about how much damage i did to the AO Thanks

Yes, since there is only one investigator, you would remove one doom track marker for each success. So, if Mandy rolled four successes you would remove four markers.


I think you can remove only 1 marker for every round combat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cely81 wrote:
NthPower wrote:
karlosr wrote:
Mandys special ability allows her to re-roll 0nce per turn any unsuccessfull dice.Also was i right about how much damage i did to the AO Thanks

Yes, since there is only one investigator, you would remove one doom track marker for each success. So, if Mandy rolled four successes you would remove four markers.


I think you can remove only 1 marker for every round combat.
Ugh! I hate to reply to such a dead thread, but your response requires it. There is a huge amount of confusion around Final Combat, due almost entirely to the way FFG published the original rules and subsequent "clarifications".

In FB the AO a number of "hit points" equal to his/her/its Doom Track multiplied by the number of Investigators. So Yig in a 4 Investigator game has 10 x 4 = 40 HP. Each success scored in a combat check removes one hit point. When the AO has no hit points left, the Investigators win. How you track the accumulated success is up to you. One suggestion would be to use the Yellow Sign tokens from King in Yellow to track individual successes and each time you accumulate a number of successes equal to (or in excess of if you get a good combat check) the number of Investigators you remove one Doom Token and a number of Yellow Sign tokens equal to the number of Investigators. Think of it as a counting system with the YSTs as units and Doom Tokens as the "tens". Of course, with a solo Investigator there is no need for the YSTs as you remove a Doomer for each success in the Combat Check.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.