United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick poll here on team spectator sports in America. I'm kind of doing this just to answer a question in my own head.

Poll
Which of these spectator sports is your favorite to watch?
Baseball
Basketball
Football
Hockey
      86 answers
Poll created by mrbeankc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
First off, by "to watch" I take it you mean watching one given game, rather than following a sport in general. If I'm wrong here, my vote's changing to basketball, the only sport I really follow in depth.

Assuming it's a US professional league, it's in person with decent seats, and that it's no particular team/player (i.e., I'd suck dick to see Kobe live), I voted baseball. I'm tempted to add the clause "meaningful game", but I think that's an inherent part of the appeal of NFL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever the phrase means to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one right answer...and three thirty-nine people have gotten it wrong, so far.
shake

Now with updates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to a baseball game once and have never watched a sport on TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for football, but not the one you mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basketball, basketball, basketball!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Football to watch, baseball on the radio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get into football and hockey no matter the level. I also like watching soccer. Basketball is too nit-picky on the fouls to be interesting (and the last couple of minutes of a close game with fouls all over the place is the opposite of fun to watch). And baseball is dreadfully boring to watch, even in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love football and baseball both.

But here's the difference. When I enter a football stadium, I feel like I'm entering a sporting venue. When I enter a baseball stadium, I feel like I'm entering a cathedral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick OLeary
United States
Roosevelt
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a big difference between watching a sport on TV and attending a game.

Baseball - Good game to watch in person if the stadium is incredible, like, say, AT&T Park in San Fran. Pretty good on the tube too as long as the telecast isn't overloaded with stats on every pitch (like pitch speed).

Hockey - Despite living in Toronto, I think hockey is fairly boring to watch in person as there are just too many bad seats, the boards get in the way of seeing all the action, and the netting behind the goals are annoying. It's great on TV though.

Football - fantastic on television...have not been to a live game (but will as soon as we get our own NFL team!)

Basketball - I think this is the best for both in-person viewing and on television, especially if you have a seat very near the court. And I think this despite living in the same city where the Raptors "play" basketball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I think there's a big difference between watching a sport on TV and attending a game.

Hockey - Despite living in Toronto,

Football - fantastic on television...have not been to a live game (but will as soon as we get our own NFL team!)

What's wrong with the Argos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinross_19 wrote:
I can get into football and hockey no matter the level. I also like watching soccer. Basketball is too nit-picky on the fouls to be interesting (and the last couple of minutes of a close game with fouls all over the place is the opposite of fun to watch). And baseball is dreadfully boring to watch, even in person.

So 6.5 minutes of actual action spread over 3 hours is what you consider "not boring"? Give me baseball where they ball is live almost all the time and I see something I haven't seen before in every single game. As the great Red Barber once said, "Baseball is only dull to dull minds".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Kafka wrote:
So 6.5 minutes of actual action spread over 3 hours is what you consider "not boring"?

To me, baseball is like an afternoon walk in the forest (you have to like the trees), and football is like waiting in line for 30+ minutes for a 3-minute rollercoaster ride.

futhee wrote:
Basketball - I think this is the best for both in-person viewing and on television.

Basketball is the sport I (used to) play, and NBA is the league I follow, but I find NBA in-person to be a total assault on the senses; not because of the game itself, but because of all the other music, promitions, and over-the-top hoo-ha going on. So my analogy for that would be going to a modern action movie. But bear in mind that I can't stand most modern action movies, such as The Dark Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Football - TV or in person is just a very interesting sport to watch.

Basketball - I prefer in person and detest the last 2-3 minutes of a game with the multiple fouls and foul shots.

Baseball - good on TV or in person but I have to care about the game I'm watching or else, forget it.

Hockey - good on TV just OK in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hindman
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proleary wrote:
None of the above.

Yup. This exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
"Bowling" is conspicuously absent from the list, as is "I am living proof of string theory, since at least 10 dimensions are required to encompass my disinterest in spectator sports."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey, it's simply the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
NostraDouglas wrote:

What's wrong with the Argos?

Unfortunately, the Argos pretty much stopped being relevant in Toronto after Gretzky, McNall and Candy sold the team. I loved the CFL as a kid, but it's hard to match the non-stop coverage the NFL gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:

Baseball - Good game to watch in person if the stadium is incredible, like, say, AT&T Park in San Fran. Pretty good on the tube too as long as the telecast isn't overloaded with stats on every pitch (like pitch speed).

Hockey - Despite living in Toronto, I think hockey is fairly boring to watch in person as there are just too many bad seats, the boards get in the way of seeing all the action, and the netting behind the goals are annoying. It's great on TV though.

Basketball - I think this is the best for both in-person viewing and on television, especially if you have a seat very near the court. And I think this despite living in the same city where the Raptors "play" basketball.

You should take a trip to Green Bay for a game. A terrific experience - and a pretty fair football team also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll misspelled rugby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's the point of the poll. I read an article recently talking about the fading popularity of baseball. In the early 60s a poll was done and the question I asked was the question I asked then. Baseball got 65% of the votes.

This last fall the World Series had the lowest TV ratings in it's history. It's average ratings have have slipped under the ratings for the NBA finals. I was curious to see how the same question asked 50 years ago would be answered today so I took this small poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baseball's popularity hasn't been the same since the '94 strike. It alienated an awful lot of people. Massive steroid/PED use hasn't helped either.

Nor have the following...

* high ticket and concession prices
* TV blackouts
* no salary cap, so small-market teams have a hard time holding onto good players for a long time
* the gradual move of television broadcasts to cable
* the move of early-round postseason play to TNT (not known for its sports coverage)
* late postseason game ending times, especially on the East Coast
* glacially slow play, especially when the Red Sox and Yankees are involved

All of this has allowed the NFL to eat MLB's lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
Baseball's popularity hasn't been the same since the '94 strike. It alienated an awful lot of people. Massive steroid/PED use hasn't helped either.

Nor have the following...

* high ticket and concession prices
* TV blackouts
* no salary cap, so small-market teams have a hard time holding onto good players for a long time
* the gradual move of television broadcasts to cable
* the move of early-round postseason play to TNT (not known for its sports coverage)
* late postseason game ending times, especially on the East Coast
* glacially slow play, especially when the Red Sox and Yankees are involved

All of this has allowed the NFL to eat MLB's lunch.

And in 2013 (I think) there will be at least one interleague game played every day when Houston moves to the AL. I absolutely hate interleague play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.