Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Carcassonne Cut Throat Edition - if meeples were giggles we'd all win! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Patton
United States
Saratoga
California
flag msg tools
mb
I'm relatively new to boardgaming, but Carcassonne has quickly become one of my favorite games. It's actually one of the few games I had played before I started getting into this hobby in early December, so naturally it went into my collection as one of my first purchases. There are many games I still want to play (including unplayed ones in my own collection!), but every time someone offers up a game of Carcassonne I can't say no. This was the case when a person at the board game meetup I attended tonight busted out a copy of the game with The River and the Inns & Cathedrals expansion.

The five of us started placing the river tiles and discovered we had a player in our midst who had never played before, so I started explaining how the game worked to her. As we got into the meat of the game and she got into her first real pieces, this turned into light coaching on my part to explain to her the possibilities of where she could place a piece and why that might be advantageous. With several other vets at the table, they began to chime in with handy "advice" as well.

This coaching aspect lead to one of the most fun, interesting games of Carcassonne I have played, as we began extending the "friendly advice" to every person. With each piece pulled, the tiles began to get passed around as every player chimed in with an "ideal placement," almost always helping themselves and not the player who the tile actually belonged to. Players were cajoled, fists were shaken, curses were muttered at poor pulls, cheers erupted for anyone, no matter who, who pulled an opportune piece that fit just right into our grand landscape puzzle (and there we several), and best of all, laughter and smiles surrounded the group. The session took a while with five of us (I think we played for close to two hours) and the game was pretty low scoring for the majority of it (I think only half of us scored above 50 before the final tally), but boy howdy was it fun. It positively flew by and was one of those experiences where all I wanted to do afterwards was to continue playing with these fine gamers.

I ended up squeaking out a narrow two point victory (over our newbie, no less! beginners luck, I tell you...) although I did manage to throw one of my tiles towards the end of the game and knock a meeple of mine into outerspace with no clue where he had been living, so who knows if I would have gotten those extra 12 points I thought were mine. In the end, however, it really didn't matter who won or lost (and I can say that as the winner, nyah nyah), because the experience was the prize for sure.

I really think this is how Carcassonne is meant to be played, especially since the rules explicitly state that tiles must be shown so "advice" may be offered. This was my first game with more than 3 players, and I have to say it was awesome in spite of it's length. I'm sure I'll return to Carcassonne again and again, and I can't wait to add even more expansions and see what fun awaits in subsequent plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
We do this quite a lot. It can be fun, and often we do offer advice that helps the person out. However, sometimes it turns into a player tapping a spot constantly saying "Put it here! Put it here!" when it's obvious that's a terrible place (no I won't finish your city for you [if we're not playing Traders and Builders]), which just makes it hard to think and is annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
quidnose wrote:
I really think this is how Carcassonne is meant to be played, especially since the rules explicitly state that tiles must be shown so "advice" may be offered.

That's right, it's in there in the rules, and "advice" is indeed shown in quotes! I had this pointed out to me by my mom. I taught her to play a few weeks ago, and in our third game I started out by not giving her advice. During the game, I did start helping her, and before our next game, she had read through the game rules. So, she expects the help!

Or "help", as the case may be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. Thanks for sharing.

(and welcome to BGG, and a great community )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
This is how my group plays all games; really it is what makes 3+ player games interesting in my opinion.

It is all about convincing other players to make decisions that benefit you. If you are too overt than it is hard to be persuasive so you have to strike a balance between giving 'real' advice and sliding the knife in. devil

It often comes down to presenting yourself as not a threat but other people at the table as the real threat.

My group is pretty tight though and we all know the ropes - could be tough on a non-gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.