John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Eowyn, Gloin, and Gimli lead a mixed group of dwarves, elves, and humans into the mines of Moria to deliver an important message to Balin.

We found the entrance to the mine littered with the corpses of dwarves and goblins and its doors ripped from their mounts. As we entered we noticed the hunched forms of goblins still fighting over the spoils of war.

As we raced through the entrance the goblins begin to screech and howl, signaling the arrival of "fresh meat". As we enter the First Hall goblins began massing behind us, cutting off our escape, while more goblins race in from the passages on either side. The bravest goblins charge in immediately and the ringing of steel on steal echoed through the massive stone hall.

I saw one of the Dwarf miners enveloped and killed immediately and a veteran stumbled from the fray covered in blood. Eowyn lead a party of scouts up through one of the staircases in search of a way out. Gloin and Gimli charged into the fray and both were wounded as the goblins' numbers became overwhelming.

Eowyn discovered a side passage that looked promising but the exit was blocked by a cave in. Many goblins fell to dwarven axes but they were always replaced by more. Eowyn finds a path that leads to Khazad-Dum, a massive chasm spanned by a single slender stone bridge.

Eowyn returned to tell the rest of the party of her discovery and found the First Hall eerily quiet.The goblins had all been slain or fled, and the party was caring for the wounded. The shrieks of another wave of approaching goblins could be heard coming from both staircases and a large mineshaft.

Brok Ironfist rushed forward and began striking one of the support pillars with his war-hammer. He continued hammering away, adding the the overwhelming barrage of noise, till the column collapsed raining debris down on them all and blocking off both stairways.

The collapse also blocked their path to Khazad-Dum so we chose to fall back to the mineshaft. In the mineshaft we stumble upon a massive goblin patrol much larger and and better lead then the others. The shear weight of numbers pushes the party back along a side passage that ends in a fouled well.

Eowyn dropped a torch down the well to see how deep it was, too deep! The dwarves fought more fiercely once cornered, cutting through the green masses till only a few skittish goblins remained. Seeing that they lacked the nerve to finish the fight, Gimli lowered his axe and walks into their midst taunting them and calling them cowards. Once they began hacking at Gimli the other dwarves charged in and made quick work of the cowardly goblin survivors.

At this point all the dwarves were bleeding from multiple wounds. They stumble about boasting and joking among themselves. A few minutes later Brok shouted, "We've got a live one here" and they all crowed in around the barely breathing form of the goblin leader. Brok hunches over the shattered goblins body leaning deeply on its wounds and whispered something menacing into its ear. The goblin claimed Balin was holding out in the great library on the seventh level. While its was impossible to know if the tip was true it was the only lead we had.

The party set out to find a path to the upper levels. A Dwarve miner attempts to open a passage blocked by rubble but awakened an unseen horror. It truck from the shadows with such quickness and ferocity that no one even saw it. Eowyn and several others were wounded and the brave miner was dragged off into the darkness screaming.

They pursued the dark and dreadful beast through a series of mine shafts leading ever upwards until Gimli gasps.. "Weve made it. These markings mean this is the seventh level. The chamber of records must be very close!" With those words most of the party collapses succumbing to the pain of their wounds and the aching of tired limbs. We wanted a few hours rest but we had to keep moving.. Balin could still be fighting for his life.

///

I really enjoyed several of the unique challenges and limitations of this quest. There were sections were I couldn't collect resources, couldn't affect locations with card affects, and even sections where I couldn't play cards.

notes and questions -

In the section were I couldn't collect resources during the resource phase I relied on Gloin's ability and the Dwarf Miners ability to get resources. Is this legal?

I avoided the location that would have kept me from playing cards by never making it the active location and beating it with Northern Tracker.

I was really excited about Brok until I realized his ability was only triggered by a dwarf hero's death and not just any dwarves death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report!

Pretty sure you were legal on the resource collection, the quest card is pretty specific. It seems there would be lots of other ways to generate resources during that quest phase; Horn of Gondor, Steward of Gondor, etc.

Yeah Brok is kind of an insurance policy... nice to have when you are in that situation but then, you don't really want to be in that situation...

I don't suppose you kept your score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:

I don't suppose you kept your score?

Nope. I've never keep score. I don't tend to replay quest so I focus purely on the story.

I'm really enjoying this release schedule. Knowing that every month there is a new adventure waiting for me really keeps me excited about the game. Usually I'm really excited about a game until about a week after I get my hands on it, when i get distracted by the next 'must have' new game, but this upproach ensures that this game is always the next 'must have' purchase each month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Still can't let go of Eowyn huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.