Subject: Hero and Minion Ranking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
vam bob
msg tools
So heres my ranking of the Heroes:

Essential Heroes:
1) Royal Paladin -
Pros: Keeps everybody alive. Best potion. Handy Smite ability for Knockdown and Fire debuffs.
Cons: Cannot Hold off creep waves on his own.

2) Clawtribe Barbarian -
Pros: Boss Killer. Makes the best use of Attack loot. Free Heart from Tough every round. Potentially able to hit up to 6 targets with 6 separate dice rolls (for more pots and hearts), or the same target up to 6 times. Strong potion.
Cons: Cannot naturally generate hearts from attacks.

3) Glimmerdusk Ranger -
Pros: Spawn point popper. If initiative is won, can keep a spawn point suppressed. Inclusion needed to maximize Dex loot draws for damage. Potentially able to hit up to 10 targets.
Cons: Weakest potion.

Handy Heroes:
4) Riftling Rogue -
Pros: Treasure Chest grabber. Utilizes Dex loot (for ARM). Able to reliably harm bosses. Very useful potion.
Cons: Unable to hold off creep waves on her own. Very low ARM.

5) Deeproot Druid -
Pros: Very handy hero to have. Can make use of Will and Attack loot cards for damage. Potentially hit up to 10 Targets. Brings Knockdown, Poison, Slow, Weak and Immobile debuffs to the team.
Cons: Very weak potion.

Decent Heroes:
6) Hearthsworn Fighter -
Pros: Good ARM and Attack. Handy pull ability. Potentially able to hit up to 9 targets.
Cons: Role is easily filled by other heroes especially Deeproot Druid. Crowd clearing ability is Dangerous.

7) Ember Mage-
Pros: Utilizes Will for damage rolls. Brings Fire Debuff to the team.
Cons: Role is easily filled by other heroes. Has trouble holding off creep waves on her own.

Special Category-
8) Hexcast Sorceress
Pros: Supports other Heroes. Brings Cold, Weak and Fragile debuffs. Fragile Debuff paired with Clawtribe Barbarian makes for a fearsome game ender.
Cons: Cannot hold off creep waves on her own. Debuffs really only shine during boss fights, and even then, arent essential.

9) Candy and Cola-
Pros: Supports other Heroes. Vending Machine paired with Royal Paladin makes for a very resilient team.
Cons: Makes the game long and draggy. Heroes will get overwhelmed eventually due to insufficient contribution from Candy.h

For the Consul:

Essential Minions (Kobolds):

1) Flingers
Pros: Easy to get into position, most frequent source of damage (hot pot is at least 1 blue die higher than the highest starting ARM for the heroes, also, adds a very useful fire debuff)
Cons: 0 ARM.

2) Knuckleheads
Pros: Good for forming a wall, stays alive sometimes. Decent Attack, especially with Mob

Handy Minions:
3) Ironscale
Pros: Makes the Knucklehead wall last longer. Harder to kill.
Cons: Expensive.

4) Dragon Priest
Pros: Makes the Knucklehead wall do a little more damage. Adds some ranged damage.
Cons: Expensive

Special Category:
5) Gouger
Pros: Reach 2
Cons: 0 ARM. Weak attack.

(note: Dragonlings and Kobolds work well with their same species but have very poor inter-species synergy. A strategy I use as a consul is to have dragonlings spawn in the Heroes starting room as they need very few turns to effect their combos while my kobold barricade builds up elsewhere. This maximizes the damage dealt even before the inevitable loss of the first spawn point and treasure chest)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
vambob wrote:
A strategy I use as a consul is to have dragonlings spawn in the Heroes starting room as they need very few turns to effect their combos while my kobold barricade builds up elsewhere. This maximizes the damage dealt even before the inevitable loss of the first spawn point and treasure chest)

I have found spawning denizens (dragons) at the first spawn point to be a recipe for disaster. The first spawn point is always toast first round, so my goal as the consul is usually to minimize the damage by reducing the amount of loot given to the heroes in round 1 (will always be at least 3 wounds dealt, but keep it under 6).

Spawning dragons at the first spawn point just gives the heroes easy access to a large number of wounds on the first turn. Best case, using 2 dragonlings (name?, 2 wounds, fly, knockdown, 2 skulls each) gives the heroes 4 wounds in the first round + 3 from the spawn point, and 2 loot. Worst case, spawning 2 hatchlings and 2 wyrmlings gives a total of 6 wounds at 0 armor + 3 from spawn point for a total of 3 loot in the first round.... thats just prime for a sparkleburst or vines.

Generally I prefer to spawn 2 ironscales at the first spawn, and let them sit for the first few hero turns until I have set up my kobolt/smoke blockade to the second spawn point, then sprint them to the blockade if they are still alive. Usually this leaves the heroes with only 5 wounds dealt first round (1 loot) + grabbing treasure, and makes it far more likely for the blockade to stand up to round 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
vambob wrote:
4) Riftling Rogue -
Pros: Treasure Chest grabber. Utilizes Dex loot (for ARM). Able to reliably harm bosses. Very useful potion.

She doesn't use her ARM value, so that shouldn't be listed as a weakness. She has 2 Red Dex...the stat she uses to defend with...and that is quite high for a starting stat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:
vambob wrote:
4) Riftling Rogue -

She doesn't use her ARM value, so that shouldn't be listed as a weakness. She has 2 Red Dex...the stat she uses to defend with...and that is quite high for a starting stat.

Completely agree, she is awesome soaking damage^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Til she gets knocked down; giving her dex-boosting gear is always a gamble because of that knockdown chance, and a couple of times the Knockdown-causing Loot has been drawn by the Consul in my games, making her damage soaking abilities... moot.

Still, I love giving her that Dragon Bow. ZZZOT.

The Druid has uniformly disappointed in almost every game we've played; in ONE game he managed to make a serious difference, and we would have won if the Barbarian hadn't whiffed SIX (yes, really, all six) of her Rage attacks against a spawn point.

As far as the kobolds go...

I dunno how many of you follow me, but I've created an alternate spawn point (with 5 different kinds of dragon quest slimes), as well as an alternate boss (Bowser), and the two kobolds that show me the kobold spawner will never be obsoleted even after we get a dozen different types are the Flingers (for Smoke), and the Ironscales (for their armor buff). Right now in the main game it isn't as obvious because we just don't have that much choice, but those two types give a solid reason for kobolds to be chosen aside from just BEING kobolds; a tactically minded Consul should remember the defense they offer even when we get more choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halgrim Padfoot
msg tools
mb
I have had the opposite experience with the decision to spawn dragon denizens at the first spawn point. I pretty much always spawn 2 hatchlings and 2 whelps in round 1, and I am developing an uncanny knack of destroying the heroes most of the time.

My logic is that, since the first tile is generally wiped on round 1, you may as well speed up the arrival of Rex as much as you can by sacrificing the hatchlings (with 1 skull cost and 2 hit points each) and making them use actions on hitting things instead of moving quickly to the 2nd tile. The majority of the games we've played have been 16-bit, which I am sensing is the hardest of the 3 modes, so I'm not sure if that is a confound in my theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nealo Myerson
msg tools
A few comments...

1. I think having that green dice is critical especially vs Roxor. A green is a monster.

Saying this... there is only one hero that auto gets one... the rogue. Go up backstab run. And that's if you're unlucky and didn't grab a green treasure. Which brings to my next point...

2. You get 2 hots at treasure. The third is always a tough one. So let's say two shots. It's huge you get something awesome and not Pegasus Wings. There are three hero's that help make sure you get nice loot.

Rogue. Candy and Cola. Ruby.

3. Rolling hearts and potions. It's a big deal to stack up on blue dice and roll like crazy. Nothing like rolling 5 blues and a green. hit and 3 hearts. That's 3 heals. Nice. But what if you don't need hearts... you need potions? To toss to ember mage? What if you could choose a heart or a potion?

There are two heroes that let you do this...

Rogue. Candy and Cola.

I won't disagree on paladin. He's usually an auto-win. Getting swarmed is easily avoidable if you have a range hero in your party. Or just keep a loot card till the end of turn. The monsters might be able to do 5 damage in 1 turn... so just don't arm that loot card. hold it in reserve... oh no... someones at 4 hearts... potion, heal.

But after Potion, the Rogue for us is a monster. Helps find the right treasure. Rolls 3 blues and a green... for starters... but a red attack... and two more blues... or dragon bow... and it gets crazy. hearts and potions for everyone.

For Candy and Cola, she might be a bad attacker, but she's does so much. The heroes with 2 reds? how often do you roll potions and what do you do with them? give to C&C. once she's at 3... hand them off. 2 bonus attacks. She can help with the loot. When she does attack she can switch potions and hearts herself. It's not unheard of to get a candy with 1R3B attack. Oh, and she has 2 Red for will... so helps on the go first roll.

I won't play the hero's without C&C or Rogue. My son usually won't let me play the rogue anymore... so C&C it is. I HATE drawing Pegasus wings. I've even chosen a mimic just to get two more loot cards to go through.

C&C is a great character if used right. And when I mean right... how often do you get to the end of the loot meter... with C&C... 3xs per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.