Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently wrote an article on Revolution! strategy for SJG. Take a look:
http://www.sjgames.com/revolution/strategy.html

What's your take on Revolution! strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article Mr. duBarry. I've seen the "engine" you refer to work well in the middle of a game, but that can't be a full-game strategy because people can throw a wrench in it really quick. If it happens that you can go a couple turns doing the General/Admiral-->Inkeeper/Magistrate, then do it for as long as you can, but the other players will stop you.

Other "tricks" or "strategies" can be squashed by the other players as soon as they see what you're doing as well.

That being said, I agree that the best strategy is to be adaptable to the patterns that present themselves. If no one cares about the Printer, throw a coin on the Printer until someone else does. I've seen people forget about the Priest because there's only the Cathedral influence, but the Cathedral is worth end-game support, so take it away until someone tries to stop you. Sure, the "take what's not being taken" isn't good for the whole game, but this mid-game adaptability can set you up for some end-game heroics.

The other strategy I just remembered is to try to bid for the next turn, or two turns ahead in the end-game. New players tend to not bid on the items that provide influence to areas that are already full. Yet those areas still give other bonuses. So while two people are fighting over the Fortress, put a coin out on anything but the General to try to stockpile bidding pieces to win over the Spy or Apothecary next turn, so that you can change the face of the board two turns later.

All that being said, the game and the strategy changes every time and depending on who you play with, so adaptability is key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
The other strategy I just remembered is to try to bid for the next turn, or two turns ahead in the end-game. New players tend to not bid on the items that provide influence to areas that are already full. Yet those areas still give other bonuses. So while two people are fighting over the Fortress, put a coin out on anything but the General to try to stockpile bidding pieces to win over the Spy or Apothecary next turn, so that you can change the face of the board two turns later.

Excellent points. I heartily agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
I've seen people forget about the Priest because there's only the Cathedral influence, but the Cathedral is worth end-game support, so take it away until someone tries to stop you.

I've also noticed this. I've never been clear why so many people ignore the Priest, but I've found it's easy to distract groups and slowly keep placing influence in the Cathedral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, since my first game ever, I went for the priest ... and actually I still do. And none of my opponents do. It's always a score on my side. I've always wondered why I'm the only one going for the priest. :surprise:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.