Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Khazad-dûm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nameless Fear? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand.
How does it work? blush
Why does he have different characteristics as nothing affects him and all 3 are the same? surprise

The Nameless Fear

X Threat
X Defense
X Combat
27 Life

Immune to player card effects. The Nameless
Fear cannot engage or be engaged.
X is the number of victory points in the victory
display.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered the same thing, and someone suggested that the intention is probably to just run away from it. It's immune to all player card effects, but I think "player cards" may be different than "hero cards," so perhaps Dunhere could attack it with his ability. If that's even possible, and if you confront it before you've gained VP cards from the quest, then you could presumably kill it. Also, maybe some location or encounter card effect would allow confrontation?

This will probably be one for the next FAQ, regardless, but I just looked in the rules, and more than once they specify a distinction between "player card" and "hero card." So I think Dunhere's ability should be valid in this case. Also, if Thalin is committed to a quest when Nameless comes out, that should do it 1 damage (only 26 to go!).

You'd think that thematically speaking, Gandalf should have some ability to deal with it, eh? But he is definitely considered a "player card" and not a "hero card," so he would have no effect.

Here are two rulebook references to the distinction between "player cards" and "hero cards":

Quote:
• 226 cards, consisting of:
• 12 Hero Cards
• 120 Player Cards


Quote:
Decks and Card Types
There are three different types of decks in The Lord
of the Rings: The Card Game: the quest deck, the
encounter deck, and the player deck. There are also
hero cards, which do not belong to any deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
There are also
hero cards, which do not belong to any deck.


And yet they go into your deck's discard pile when they die.
It's all a bit murky. I think maybe design-wise the Nameless Fear was easier to put into play as an enemy rather than another type of card effect, but the terminology is a bit mucky. Definitely odd that the only potential method of taking it down would be the mighty Dunhere (eventually)...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
There are also
hero cards, which do not belong to any deck.


And yet they go into your deck's discard pile when they die.


Regardless, the distinction is made repeatedly in the rules, that a hero card is different than a player card. So strictly speaking, I'd say hero card effects should be applicable. It is definitely an instant FAQ entry, though, no doubt.

Quote:
It's all a bit murky. I think maybe design-wise the Nameless Fear was easier to put into play as an enemy rather than another type of card effect, but the terminology is a bit mucky. Definitely odd that the only potential method of taking it down would be the mighty Dunhere (eventually)...


I agree. Seems like if anyone should have an effect, it would be Gandalf. But this isn't meant to strictly recreate the narrative of the source, so maybe the intention was for it to seem impossible, but you have to find the one way (Dunhere??) to do it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps there will be a card similar to Grimbeorn the Old in one of the encounter decks that will provide some way of holding off or getting rid of the Nameless Fear?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mmoberly wrote:
Perhaps there will be a card similar to Grimbeorn the Old in one of the encounter decks that will provide some way of holding off or getting rid of the Nameless Fear?


Um, don't hold your breath my friend. whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kam
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some clarification in the rulebook that comes with the expansion (emphasis mine):

Quote:
The Nameless Fear is an enemy that cannot engage or be engaged by players. The Nameless Fear is also immune to card effects, which means that it cannot be selected as the target of any card effect, and ignores the effect of any card that would directly interact with it.


This seems to indicate that Dunhere is out as well. It never directly interacts with players either, and the main purpose its stats serve is for A Foe Beyond, which deals its attack damage to the last player's hero (can't be canceled!) and that card's shadow effect which deals its attack damage to the defending character. Thank goodness there's only one of those cards in the deck per player . . .

Essentially, it's a thematic, if overly-complicated way to slowly increase the difficulty as you go through locations. Making it an enemy doesn't really add much more than threat in practice.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnak you all .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is just supposed to sit in the staging area and steadily become a more looming threat the longer you stay in/explore Moria.

This foe is beyond all of you... RUN!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Greuel
Benin
Dulles
Virginia
msg tools
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16
badge
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." -Mark 16:16
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we all know it's the balrog, and clearly they can't let you kill the balrog before the fellowship arrives. I know people were asking about how it would be represented in Khazad-dum, and I think this makes a lot of sense. He is an ever-looming threat that gets more terrifying as the game progresses. You aren't supposed to fight him, but in just in case you come up with some legal way to hurt him without player card effects, he has a ton of hit points...like the balrog should.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke850 wrote:
This foe is beyond all of you... RUN!

...you fools!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Kharnel wrote:
Essentially, it's a thematic, if overly-complicated way to slowly increase the difficulty as you go through locations. Making it an enemy doesn't really add much more than threat in practice.


Couldn't a later AP use its encounter set and include a treachery card like "If possible, engage The Nameless Fear with the first player"? The card doesn't mention anything about damage from attacking characters, so presumably it could be defeated (after many sacrificed defenders...). Or is combat damage considered an effect?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kam
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
Kharnel wrote:
Essentially, it's a thematic, if overly-complicated way to slowly increase the difficulty as you go through locations. Making it an enemy doesn't really add much more than threat in practice.


Couldn't a later AP use its encounter set and include a treachery card like "If possible, engage The Nameless Fear with the first player"? The card doesn't mention anything about damage from attacking characters, so presumably it could be defeated (after many sacrificed defenders...). Or is combat damage considered an effect?


That's true, I was assuming they wouldn't reuse this one since in the first cycle I don't believe any of the "main" encounter sets were reused (Passage Through Mirkwood, Journey Down the Anduin, Escape from Dol Guldur).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kharnel wrote:
binaryeye wrote:
Kharnel wrote:
Essentially, it's a thematic, if overly-complicated way to slowly increase the difficulty as you go through locations. Making it an enemy doesn't really add much more than threat in practice.


Couldn't a later AP use its encounter set and include a treachery card like "If possible, engage The Nameless Fear with the first player"? The card doesn't mention anything about damage from attacking characters, so presumably it could be defeated (after many sacrificed defenders...). Or is combat damage considered an effect?


That's true, I was assuming they wouldn't reuse this one since in the first cycle I don't believe any of the "main" encounter sets were reused (Passage Through Mirkwood, Journey Down the Anduin, Escape from Dol Guldur).


I'm pretty sure the Anduin encounter set was used several times (the first two AP's I think) But I don't think PtM or EfDG were ever re-used
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke850 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Anduin encounter set was used several times (the first two AP's I think) But I don't think PtM or EfDG were ever re-used

Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.