Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Friedrich» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special question about fight order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a very special question about the fight order in your own combat phase. I will try to explain and hope that I am understood. At the start of the combat rules it say:

"If more than one attack must be made, the active player chooses the order of resolution"

Later in the same chapter under "special cases" it says:

"If a general/stack starts the combat phase adjacent to more than one opponent, he has to fight them one after the other. If more than one general/stack are adjacent to one opponent, they have to attack one after the other."

Now let me reformulate and interprete this rules with my own words in a somehow sloppy way:

(1) Basically I am free in the order of battling with my generals, but there are the two following exceptions.
(2) If one of my generals is adjacent to several enemy generals, and I start the first fight with this general, I have to continue with all the other fights with this general, before I can go on with a general at a completely different position on the map.
(3) If several of my generals are adjacent to the same one enemy general, and I start the first fight against this enemy general, I have to continue with my other generals against this same enemy general there, before I can go on with a general at a completely different position on the map.

So far so good.

Now let's assume the following example: It's the beginning of my combat phase, there a two of my generals, let's say No 1 and No 2, who are both adjacent to the same two enemy generals, let's call them A and B. Now I start with the fight No 1 vs. A. This fight ends in a tie. All positions are kept. What comes next now? Must the next fight be No 1 vs. B, because of rule (2) above, or must it be No 2 vs. A, because of rule (3) above? Which of these rules has priority in that case?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
Quote:
"If a general/stack starts the combat phase adjacent to more than one opponent, he has to fight them one after the other. If more than one general/stack are adjacent to one opponent, they have to attack one after the other."


The rules do NOT say "fight them one directly after the other." They simply say that the defending (or attacking) generals are not attacked simultaneously. Instead, separate battles are fought.


Quote:
(1) Basically I am free in the order of battling with my generals, but there are the two following exceptions.
(2) If one of my generals is adjacent to several enemy generals, and I start the first fight with this general, I have to continue with all the other fights with this general, before I can go on with a general at a completely different position on the map.


The last sentence is therefore not correct. You can make another general's fight before. For instance, the sequence:
P1 - A1
P3 - F2
P1 - A5
is perfectly legal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, then I have heavily misinterpreted this paragraph, sorry! Let me summarize: I am completely free in the order of fighting in my combat phase, as long I complete every possible mandatory fight at some time in my combat phase?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Ferrer
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermjard wrote:

(3) If several of my generals are adjacent to the same one enemy general, and I start the first fight against this enemy general, I have to continue with my other generals against this same enemy general there, before I can go on with a general at a completely different position on the map.



I have two questions here.

My first general is victorious against one enemy general, who has to battle against my second general: the enemy general has to note down his losses previously to the second battle, or the "initial score" is maintained?

And what happens if one of my generals loses the battle and the other one wins? My loser general and the enemy general must retreat, and only my victorious one remain?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each battle is fully resolved before commencing the next one. This includes retreats. If after resolving a battle the two generals for another battle are no longer next to each other there is no combat.

joffgracia wrote:
I have two questions here.

My first general is victorious against one enemy general, who has to battle against my second general: the enemy general has to note down his losses previously to the second battle, or the "initial score" is maintained?

In this case you would retreat the enemy general and they would take their losses. If after the retreat the enemy general is no longer next to the second general there is no second battle.
joffgracia wrote:

And what happens if one of my generals loses the battle and the other one wins? My loser general and the enemy general must retreat, and only my victorious one remain?

It would depend on the order of resolution. If you lost the first battle the first general would take losses and then retreat, then you would resolve the second battle forcing the enemy general to take losses and retreat. If you won the first battle the enemy general would take losses and retreat, and potentially there might not be a second battle.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.