Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Curious how much people are bidding in the initial round.

We played a 3 player game last night and one player opted not to bid at all and when we started the game, he put shares up for auction and got them for the minimun bid ($10) and they were fully funded and he promptly won the game.

I am wondering if we overbid on shares initially and thus why he was able to grab shares for $10 and still have a funded railroad.

I believe I had 2 shares and I used all my money (game starts with $50 with 4 players I think so I believe I bid $25 and $30 so I guess I had $5 left over)

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it that much, so I'm not an expert, but so far with 3 bidding usually ends somewhere between 18 and 26, depending on players and the company that is auctioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
jonpfl wrote:
All,

We played a 3 player game last night and one player opted not to bid at all and when we started the game, he put shares up for auction and got them for the minimun bid ($10) and they were fully funded and he promptly won the game.

I am wondering if we overbid on shares initially and thus why he was able to grab shares for $10 and still have a funded railroad.

I believe I had 2 shares and I used all my money (game starts with $50 with 4 players I think so I believe I bid $25 and $30 so I guess I had $5 left over)

Thx
jonpfl

By "not bid at all", do you mean he didn't bid *at all* in the opening stock round? He literally passed on his first opportunity to bid on every stock?

And when you say, he put shares up for auction, do you mean he took the auction action during all three phases of the first round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Thx
jonpfl

By "not bid at all", do you mean he didn't bid *at all* in the opening stock round? He literally passed on his first opportunity to bid on every stock?

And we you say, he put shares up for auction, do you mean he took the auction action during all three phases of the first round?

Tim,

Well he did big but once it got over $20, he just gave up.

Yes, he took the auction action 3 times during the first round and since all of us were low on cash, he got 3 shares for $10 each

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
jonpfl wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Thx
jonpfl

And we you say, he put shares up for auction, do you mean he took the auction action during all three phases of the first round?

Tim,

Yes, he took the auction action 3 times during the first round and since all of us were low on cash, he got 3 shares for $10 each

Thx
jonpfl

Before I respond, I'm just curious about a few other things:

Were the 3 shares in 3 different companies?

In companies you and the other player started?

In companies that you and the other player expanded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Thx
jonpfl

Tim,

Thx
jonpfl

1) Yes, 3 different companies
2) Yes, already started companies
3) Yes, he saw what expanded and immediately put them up for auction (and won)

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
jonpfl wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Thx
jonpfl

Tim,

Thx
jonpfl

Thx
jonpfl

He played well then, but you could have at least slowed him down.

How do you stop a player from getting cheap shares? Take the auction action and pass.

If both of you did this, the guy who wanted cheap shares could have been limited to getting just one share in the first round. He would have then received half the income of one company (due to two shares being issued) while the two of you received income from three companies, presuming you each bought three shares in the opening auction.

You could do something similar in the next round or two as well.

Having said that, you still may have bid too high on the early shares. What is too high? It really depends on how everyone else is playing. In designing the game, I intentionally gave players a lot more money than they need so opening bids do not adhere to a pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Thx
jonpfl

Tim,

Thx
jonpfl

Thx
jonpfl

How do you stop a player from getting cheap shares? Take the auction action and pass.

If both of you did this, the guy who wanted cheap shares could have been limited to getting just one share in the first round. He would have then received half the income of one company (due to two shares being issued) while the two of you received income from three companies, presuming you each bought three shares in the opening auction.

Having said that, you still may have bid too high on the early shares. What is too high? It really depends on how everyone else is playing. In designing the game, I intentionally gave players a lot more money than they need so opening bids do not adhere to a pattern.

Tim,

Actually, now that I think about it, one of the guys realized this and actually put up a share of stock on third round and he ended up getting something he didn't want

First game so we were learning the do's and don'ts and we will probably play again soon.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
jonpfl wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Tim,

Actually, now that I think about it, one of the guys realized this and actually put up a share of stock on third round and he ended up getting something he didn't want

First game so we were learning the do's and don'ts and we will probably play again soon.

Thx
jonpfl

Just want to make sure you know...

1) You can take an action without doing it -- i.e. take the auction action and do nothing.

2) You can auction a share without bidding on it.

Also, if you have the chance, I recommend learning games be played with 4+ players. The three player game is arguably the hardest to play well due to the even division of 3 expand actions and 6 companies between three players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Tim,

Thx
jonpfl

Just want to make sure you know...

1) You can take an action without doing it -- i.e. take the auction action and do nothing.

2) You can auction a share without bidding on it.

Also, if you have the chance, I recommend learning games be played with 4+ players. The three player game is arguably the hardest to play well due to the even division of 3 expand actions and 6 companies between three players.

Oh, I think we forgot you could take an action w/o doing it (could have killed the auction space)

We played with 4 and plan to play with 4 again in the next week

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
jonpfl wrote:
Oh, I think we forgot you could take an action w/o doing it (could have killed the auction space)

Ya, that was my point above. The two of you could have done that in the first round and limited him to getting no more than one share in the first round.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.