Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All!

After being inspired by the amazing Dark Moon and Dune Express, I had the idea to boil down Cosmic Encounter to its bare essentials. I had a quick look on the 'Geek to see if someone had this bright idea before me, and it seems there is already one version, but it has a very much deserted entry and the rulebook is so atrociously written that I can understand why nobody's bothered with it.

The entry is here: Cosmic Dice

I don't mean to diss the designer, but from what I can understand, it doesn't really seem like the original game at all. The negotiation is all but removed, the dice system seems clunky and the powers, while numerous, don't seem that fun.

So this is where I (and you) come in. Would people be interested in testing and brainstorming Cosmic Encounter Express that really feels does the main game proud? I have already the main framework sorted out. The BGG community has given me so much enjoyment, I think a PnP version of a much loved game would be a nice way to pay it back. Who's with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hiya scott!

Unfortauntely I am not a big one on redesigning games - I figure that if you want to essentially make the game again: then perhaps you should just play the original game! And if you wanted to make a better game, then I think it really helps to have no ties with any other game. And as such I only really try to help people making entirely new games otherwise I would have been happy to help out with ideas and what not^^

But that's just my grey, overcast, whimsical grumpy British attitude!

Best of luck finding some collaborators Scott,

Do let us know when you get something together! o/

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sam,

Yeah, until this point I have thought the same thing: Why bother changing such a great game? And as a result, all of my designs have been original thus far.

My idea with this is to give something back to BGG: Print and Play Express versions, when done right, can be just as much fun as the original game itself, and I am just testing the water to see if Cosmic Encounter is a game people would like to see boiled down to 30-45 minutes of rawness. Thanks for you feedback though, I'll post everything when I get it done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I remember of Cosmic Encounter, it's pretty simple to start with. Isn't the only complicated part the alien powers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued. I'd love to be a playtester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
From what I remember of Cosmic Encounter, it's pretty simple to start with. Isn't the only complicated part the alien powers?

Hey James,

Yeah it's not the most complex game to start with, but with Flares, Artefacts, Technologies, big blocks of text, having to know card types and some complex alien powers, it does scare away a lot of my lighter gaming pals.

Great! My first victim tester. Who else is up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued as well. To be honest, Cosmic Dice seems like a pretty good translation of the basic game mechanics (replacing card play with dice manipulation), but I'd be interested in seeing your counter-proposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You inspired me. I have always been a fan of the express series and you nailed the point that it's a fantastic way to pay back to the community. I am gonna try my own express version games that I like too off my head I just thought of some ideas for Chicago Express. all the best for cosmic express!

Edit: I have created a quick iteration of Express Chicago Express and the rules are found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xy4kgMGGWNaAbkZgGXsRfB28...

Here's the link to the thread for this game that I just started
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
cpf86 wrote:
You inspired me. I have always been a fan of the express series and you nailed the point that it's a fantastic way to pay back to the community. I am gonna try my own express version games that I like too off my head I just thought of some ideas for Chicago Express. all the best for cosmic express!

Ditto. Love express games. They're fun to read up on and fun to design. I wonder if they're fun to play...

I find RAW CE to be too clunky, with too many odd exceptions that don't flow logically. So a game that should be simple ends up being complex because the square pegs are being forced into round holes. So to speak. So my advice: don't seek to emulate the core game structure to closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar enough with Cosmic Express to be able to conceive of a miniaturized or quickened version. But good luck, all the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Graham
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, I love Cosmic Encounter - If you already have some ideas - bring 'em over tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I find RAW CE to be too clunky, with too many odd exceptions that don't flow logically.

I find the main culprit of this is the huge amount of phases and terminology in the game, it can be intimidating and has prevented me from being able to introduce it to some people.

I'm trying to make sure the game focuses on what I consider to be the most important and fun part: the negotiation and diplomacy, and the alien powers.

I will post a very rough draft of the rules and components here soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everybody. Here is the first draft of the rules! Click the big ugly link below:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4gHU-NRUKaiM2ZlMzBhNzYtZWR...

If anybody gets a chance to playtest this, I would veeeery much appreciate any feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I think I have everything covered at least here. I'll find out myself when I give it a first run through tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the card art.

Layout for the dice though is a bit problematic to say the least.

Took me a moment to decipher that some of the die are arranged horizontally and some are arranged vertically. You would be better off arranging them all horizontal and just moving some of the other tokens around to the now open sides rather than trying to optimize a sheet. Either that or shift the die patterns over enough to allow a second horizontal row.

Failing either of those, at least just put a black border around die sets so it is easier to tell not all are arranged the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slick. I just read through 'em-- it looks like a clever system. I hope I can give it a go in the next week or so.

One thing that I think I understood, but I want to confirm: in an encounter, allies never get to land on the planet (excepting via alien powers). Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Destiny Dice phase. For a 3 player game this can drag a bit as theres a 50% chance to roll a non-used faction. Maybee a seperate 3 player die to speed things along?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a quick example of how the Destiny die could be modified to cover 3 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One thing that I think I understood, but I want to confirm: in an encounter, allies never get to land on the planet (excepting via alien powers). Is that correct?

Completely correct. The incentive for allies is an Encounter Die upgrade, although a couple of aliens bend that a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Huntington
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Destiny Dice phase. For a 3 player game this can drag a bit as theres a 50% chance to roll a non-used faction.

Very good point. Quite like your die colouring! Could just tell players to select a second colour, and say that the Will is not to be used in a 3 player game, as it's a bit underpowered in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that 3 player die is color blind friendly. Actually, I am not certain the original is either. That is a problem with having a red and a green player though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
I don't think that 3 player die is color blind friendly. Actually, I am not certain the original is either. That is a problem with having a red and a green player though.

Maybe symbols as well/instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As said. It was just an example of how it could be done. Its not meant for actual use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of quick suggestions:

i) Grudge:

Since it says that it 'destroys' ships, you should probably specify that the ship goes back in front of the player.

ii) If your Encounter Die is weak, it seems like you'd always choose to fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.