Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I had an idea in a fluxxy kind of way that each player would draw cards that had generic buildings on them. The players on their turn would attampt to build a building card. Each building card has spaces for cubes showing what is used to gain what. The cubes are placed on the building card (3 spaces and an arrow to 2 spaces), adding a value to the building from out of thin air (or a base value could be on the card of say 5 coins). It then goes up to vote by the other players. If the player whose turn it is, finds a player not voting in favor, they may give them a token of their color if you have one (or one of yours) which must be redeemed to end the game (or attempted to be redeemed - keep track of the tries and if they are even with tokens not gotten back, so as to be balanced). This token would change that players vote. Well...
...minus the voting bits, it has been done in Alchemist, wherein instead of a voting bit, the other players can use your "spell" (my building card). It was almost like reworking the wheel and ending up with a round wheel again. Well, it might've worked...and did work, though it was not a "hit", it made itself known to the gaming world, so there is no reason to rework that into another design.

And that is that; the end of a short 20 minutes of my life of a neat idea that got reworked and redeigned into an already made game.

Anyone else have the same experience with one of their designs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I don't think anyone here can truley say that they have ever made a TOTALLY unique game. From the entire concept, to the theme, to the way dice are rolled, to certain mechanics I think every designer has overcome that exact challenge. so you are totally not alone here, not alone at all man! I mean, even your hogfather game will share some of it's soul with other gaes (how is that btw?)

But!

Sometimes this can be a good thing. Otherwise we would not have "Sci Fi Fan" microbadges. Or "wargamers" or "fans of worker placement" and the like

Remember that a lot of people play games that are like Dominion, specifically because they are like Dominion!

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question, Scott: was your game inspired by Alchemist ... or did you suddenly run into Alchemist sometime in the midst of your design process?

Anyway ... I have a somewhat similar experience.

I have a large collection of Mage Knight, primarily because I ran events for WizKids and we were "paid" with points that can be used to get free product.

So I've been toying around with various other ways that I could use the miniatures. Including making a hex grid map ... I even posted some of my work-in-progress stuff here

attn Mage Knight fans: Hex Grid and other rules variants?

Then, sometime last year, the Mage Knight Board Game comes out. And behold, they have a hex grid map as well. (I'd argue that their solution isn't as "elegant" as what I had in mind ... but it essentially works the same way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hog Father Board Game has found a publisher. Thanks for asking. Hopefully soon it'll be available.

as for Alchemist, I had played it so, after a few thoughts headed me to the spaces with something to make something, it hit me like a brick, that is exactly like a game I knew. So I racked my brain for whay it was and I figured it out...all in 20 mins or so from concept to abandonedment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to echo Sam Mercer's sentiments: I really hope and/or wish that designers are not shy from taking known mechanics from existing games and designing different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I'll have to echo Sam Mercer's sentiments: I really hope and/or wish that designers are not shy from taking known mechanics from existing games and designing different games.

I only shy away this time because it was the exact same game, minus the theme and way to get the building built. I think Alchemist does a good job in the creating of spells, so no need to rework the wheel this time. I like the idea of asking for a vote on cost to build something, kind of like lobbying for laws. Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

I only shy away this time because it was the exact same game, minus the theme and way to get the building built. I think Alchemist does a good job in the creating of spells, so no need to rework the wheel this time. I like the idea of asking for a vote on cost to build something, kind of like lobbying for laws. Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, sort of thing.

*Nods*

Well, that's the thing. I might totally hate Alchemist for the theme. I know some people who probably won't even pick up a game because it involved Vampires and/or Werewolves.

... but I might completely love your Civ/Building game.

The Werewolf party game, for example, is a wonderful large-group social game in my personal opinion. But I wouldn't be able to bring it into my family gatherings as-is. However ... since several people have created variants on the theme (including the involving the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing), I'm able to explore that mechanic with the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might try it in a new way, trying not to re-invent the wheel. Maybe I could group cards on top of each other that make a new building of choice, with what is required -> what it does. Then vote on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the idea of a dice placement game some years ago but never finished my first prototype. Now there are troyes, kingsburg, alien frontiers....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.