For the People» Forums » General

Subject: 2006, 2nd edition map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it cardboard or paper? There are so few pictures that I can't get a good look at the quality of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
It's about the thickness of cereal-box cardboard.

Do you want a copy? I have one I don't need. I'll happily send it to you for free if you'll cover shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
It's about the thickness of cereal-box cardboard.

Do you want a copy? I have one I don't need. I'll happily send it to you for free if you'll cover shipping.

Are you sure? I got FtP a few years ago with a paper map, ended up buying the "Deluxe map", which I was annoyed to find out was only cardboard, then eventually got the mounted map, which is omnom.

I also have spare copies of "deluxe maps" for For the People, WW2: Barbarossa to Berlin and Empire of the Sun. Might just throw them away, since shipping from Iceland would be more than just buying a new one online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Ah, shoot, I misunderstood the OP as asking about the "deluxe" (not mounted) map.

You're correct: the most recent version of FtP has a paper map.

However (@OP), if that's a turnoff for you, as I mentioned, I have the deluxe cardboard map, which I'll send to you at cost, if you'd like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased FtP on eBay packaged (by the seller) with the deluxe map (both still in shrink wrap). I'm not a fan of paper maps, however, I was not pleased at all with the deluxe map. Besides it not lying flat after multiple sessions of backfolding and laying books on it, it also did not unfold correctly and had a gap in its horizontal center line up to half an inch (i.e. the unfolded "flaps" would not come together). I then ordered the mounted map, which is of very high quality and I would highly recommend if you dislike paper maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
I recently purchased FtP on eBay packaged (by the seller) with the deluxe map (both still in shrink wrap). I'm not a fan of paper maps, however, I was not pleased at all with the deluxe map. Besides it not lying flat after multiple sessions of backfolding and laying books on it, it also did not unfold correctly and had a gap in its horizontal center line up to half an inch (i.e. the unfolded "flaps" would not come together). I then ordered the mounted map, which is of very high quality and I would highly recommend if you dislike paper maps.

Plus the mounted maps only cost $14 each at CSI. Not a bad deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
MikeWhit wrote:

CSI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
murksofus wrote:
MikeWhit wrote:

CSI?

www.coolstuffinc.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/

He's right—if you care about the map being paper, you probably want mounted. I use mostly paper maps, but the mounted GMT maps I have (Twilight Struggle, Wilderness War, Paths of Glory, Pursuit of Glory, Washington's War) are gorgeous. If you care, I say get the mounted map. It's an experience ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:

He's right—if you care about the map being paper, you probably want mounted. I use mostly paper maps, but the mounted GMT maps I have (Twilight Struggle, Wilderness War, Paths of Glory, Pursuit of Glory, Washington's War) are gorgeous. If you care, I say get the mounted map. It's an experience ...

The shipping cost calculator shows that the shipping cost would be $19.55 ...

By the way, the game seems to be out-of-stock in quite many places. Is there a reprint coming(and when) or what is the situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

The shipping cost calculator shows that the shipping cost would be $19.55 ...

By the way, the game seems to be out-of-stock in quite many places. Is there a reprint coming(and when) or what is the situation?

Yeah when I order from CSI i make sure to have at least $200 or so of games to justify the shipping.

A reprint is on GMT's P500 (http://www.gmtgames.com/s-2-p500.aspx), but it only has 83 orders, so it probably won't have a reprint this year at least... Maybe next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The paper map seems to be quite flat. The only gripe I have about paper maps is that if they aren't flat enough and you have "mountains" on the folding lines. What is your opinion on the flatness of the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
I use plexiglass (perspex) on top of all my paper maps, so flatness is not a worry.

You sound like you're not using plexiglass. If that's the case, then the deluxe map is your worst possible choice. Mine will not lie flat. I doubt many others do, either. It's kind of assumed that wargamers will be using plexiglass to hold it flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
The paper map seems to be quite flat. The only gripe I have about paper maps is that if they aren't flat enough and you have "mountains" on the folding lines. What is your opinion on the flatness of the map?

Yeah either get a sheet of plexiglass to cover your paper map or get a mounted map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.