Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about expanding my collection to cover other niches that I don't already have, and it struck me that an arena-style game would suit my group wonderfully.

Are there any arena-style games out there that cover at least some of these mechanics:

- Played in less than 2 hours
- Allows players to level up, purchase items, or upgrade in some fashion
- To be of a medium weight or less, playability is important
- Maybe allows long-term score keeping or character tracking. For example,while individual games may not take very long, your progress can be tracked for use on a later date and have a continuous tournament feel
- Any violence is ok, though not childish. Prefer guns of some sort over melee weapons, but not too picky.

If anyone knows any games that may cover some or all of these points, I would greatly appreciate any input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
MattG666 wrote:
I was thinking about expanding my collection to cover other niches that I don't already have, and it struck me that an arena-style game would suit my group wonderfully.

Are there any arena-style games out there that cover at least some of these mechanics:

- Played in less than 2 hours
- Allows players to level up, purchase items, or upgrade in some fashion
- To be of a medium weight or less, playability is important
- Maybe allows long-term score keeping or character tracking. For example,while individual games may not take very long, your progress can be tracked for use on a later date and have a continuous tournament feel
- Any violence is ok, though not childish. Prefer guns of some sort over melee weapons, but not too picky.

If anyone knows any games that may cover some or all of these points, I would greatly appreciate any input!

Interesting... seems like there would be something like this, wouldn't there?

Are you talking a minis-style game, with actual tactical movement? I gotta admit, a mono y mono arena game where you build a character, outfit, and then upgrade him/her a la "campaign" would be pretty neat, if elegantly executed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Gladiator hits all these points except the guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Gladiator hits all these points except the guns.

Is there any game concept AH hasn't done at some point in the past?

Now if only one could find an inexpensive copy.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m n
Germany
leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe this would be something for you

clash of the gladiators

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe L.
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gladiator Games Geeklist (obviously no guns):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43179/roman-gladiators

I am not sure about the modern incarnations of Battletech, but we used to have area-style games all the time.

Another suggestion is Grind although I have never played this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Johnson
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Fleeting memories rise | From the shadows of my mind | Sing "nonomori" - endless corridors | Say "nonomori" - hopeless warriors | You were there | You were there
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Gangs of Mega-City One? I've never played it, but it sounds like it might fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's Colossal Arena. Only you don't do any of the fighting yourself, you just bet on it

Explaining a bit more of what you mean by "arena style" may help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat down with a friend of mine to try designing a game like this because I couldn't find one on the market.

I wanted:
- The game to have 2-player rules, but be designed to accommodate more.
- Battles that were resolved in a couple of minutes
- Tactical emphasis on where and how to deploy mechs, not so much on moving around, in an effort to keep battles quick and the focus on the macro-scale of the game
- Arenas rarely ending in mech destruction but often ending in various degrees of battle damage
- Players to have mech designs that were improved between battles
- Battles that revolved around arena objectives, not destroying opponents
- Arenas with a fixed size, limited deployment/movement, and randomized hazards
- Players can bid on parts that randomly became available between battles
- Players not involved in a fight could gamble on the outcome, and players within the fight could attempt to secure endorsements
- Very simplified rules for movement and weapon types - perhaps one where mechs didn't move much at all after they were deployed

I was picturing a game where players would allocate parts to different mech designs, then purchase units with those designs. An arena would be setup, and players would play hazard cards which would influence the setup of the arena, the objectives, and how the prize was awarded. Then each player would place bets or attempt to secure endorsements.

Finally, players would take turns placing a mech in the arena. Once all mechs were deployed, the slower mechs would be allowed one limtied movement action (one or two spaces), followed by the faster mechs. Once all mechs had an opportunity to move, then each mech could perform one action. After this, the battle would be over and if a player had surviving mechs and he completed the objective (such as shoot the red laser, get mechs into this area, survive the death lance, etc.) then they would get the prize.

In the midst of this designing process, I discovered Evo. It has a very different theme, but had a lot of the mechanics I was planning on incorporating in my mech gladiator game, but done much simpler and more elegantly. In the end, strangely, I decided Evo was close enough to my Mech Gladiator game that I could suspend designing that one and have fun playing Evo.

In Evo, you deployed dinosaurs into the continent each turn, you get a chance to move them out of hazardous areas, and any left in hazardous areas die. There are upgrade parts (genes) that would allow some to survive in hazardous zones but you must bid on them using your victory points. Since the goal is to survive this topsy-turvey death-arena they call Earth, combat is entirely optional but its still in there. Ultimate victory depends on strategic placement of your units and your ability to bid on parts that allow you to populate the earth, survive hazardous spaces, or fight for the temperate zones.

I may still get back to my Mech Gladiator game one day, but there just doesn't feel as much need now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordheim: City of the Damned isn't an arena per se, but it hits the points you're looking for. Rules are free on GW's site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Mordheim: City of the Damned isn't an arena per se, but it hits the points you're looking for. Rules are free on GW's site.

Also, if you don't mind something of a Pnp solution, check out this awesome website:

http://www.ironhands.com/rcintro.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggi├▓
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

- Players not involved in a fight could gamble on the outcome, and players within the fight could attempt to secure endorsements

Is it just me or this is a freaking cool idea? Is it implemented in any other game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe L.
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Frets wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

Is it just me or this is a freaking cool idea? Is it implemented in any other game?

The betting aspect is a cool idea and I know at least two Roman Gladiator systems that employ it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who has put some input in so far!

I will check out some of the free Gladiator Games and give them a whirl. Evo seems a little too cartoonish for my tastes, I am looking for something a little more adult-oriented.

Keep the suggestions coming! It's starting to seem like I might have to design my own like someone suggested earlier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The game you are looking for is Car Wars

It's an arena-based combat game, plays under 2 hours for sure, is not too simple nor too complex and is unique among wargames in that it includes full RPG rules. I'm getting into it myself and it fits the bill.

It's a very good combat game, with lots of weighting risks and manuvering while having a solid vehicle design system you can tinker with. Coupled with the RPG rules it's very easy to run a campaign where players earn their way up through duels and raids, there also seems to be many scenarios and adventures around.

The drawback is that the best version of the game (Car Wars Compendium 2e, availble digitally from Steve Jackson Games themselves) has a lot of unneceary filler like Boats or Helicopters that fill up space in the manual and make it look incredibly complex when it actually isn't.

But if you just use cars, it shouldn't be a problem. The other problem is the use of paper counters but you can upscale to Micromachines or Matchbox cars, preferably the former because it takes less space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KABOOM! by Luke Morris has many of these elements. It is a light, fast party game though. There is no building up characters or anything and it is die-based, but it is still good fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Gunslinger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
fastspinecho wrote:
How about Gunslinger?

Probably too complex to fit his definition of medium weight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowboys: The Way of the Gun might be what you are looking for. It doesn't have the career aspect but you might be able to graft that sort of system on from another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wiersma
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner would seem to fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
The classic and long OOP Melee had everything you're looking for incluing the earning of experience points which could be used to increase stats; it had a sequel, Wizard that basically added magical spells, and the 2 were so extensive they were eventually upgraded into a full on RPG, [The Fantasy Trip][/], which was eventually reworked into GURPS (1st & 2nd Editions), now in its 5th edition.

Maybe Ebay, Troll and Toad, or Igor's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not out yet, but Mage Wars is going to be an arena combat style game with magic. No experience or leveling up, but you cast spells to increase your effectiveness as the game goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lusk
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Now, just 6 years later, your wildest hopes will be realized! I am creating a game of arena-style combat, called Bloodfist Champions, which pits teams of 5 fantasy characters against each other in an arena brawl. The winning team is the one that gets the first kill, knocks all of their opponents off the board, or has the highest score after 16 turns.

My artist has just signed on to get the artwork going for the game, but the development of the mechanics and everything else has been tested over the last 3 years. It is SO MUCH FUN!

While there are no guns, there are Archers and the like that many teams can have, and, most importantly, not only do your players gain experience and your team gains cash so that their strength is always evolving, but there are 41 teams to choose form in a standard league or tournament! 41 different teams! (7 Human, 4 Orc, 4 Dwarf, 5 Elf, 8 Animal, 6 Evil, etc)...

It will take about 2 years for the artwork to get done, but it will hit the market after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Krosmaster: Arena ticks all your boxes except for the campaign element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Oooooh, this has Gaslands written all over it! It pretty much covers all of those points. Note: you only buy the rulebook. You supply/source everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.