Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine and I are about to have an L5R informative meetup to get some interest going for the game in Jackson, MS in a week or two, and I think by virtue of having read the rule book (but never having actually played), we're the experts who now get to pitch and teach the game.

Any advice to help teach the game or rules that n00bs frequently mess up that we'll probably mess up, or ideas on where to get enough cards cheap to throw together a few demo decks? Things to focus on or things to avoid? Any particular clans we should aim to include as demo decks (i.e. I imagine Crab or Lion good for illustrating winning by military victory, Crane for Honor, Phoenix for Rings/Enlightenment)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have an exciting announcement for helping you out with this coming very soon. By the way, what weekend are you planning to meet in Jackson? If you have a specific date/time I might could swing by. Don't get me wrong, it's a trip, but I'm already passing through there at the end of this month - weekend of the 27th - to visit my parents in north Mississippi. I'd love to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we're aiming for the 21st, the weekend before. That's when he's scheduled it for on MeetUp. If it's not inconvenient, I could see if we can reschedule for you, but you're right, it is a drive.

I just got an email from Adam (the guy who first proposed the idea) and he's got a couple of guys who say they can come in from Hattiesburg with a couple of demo decks, so that should help. I'm also thinking of printing some Kolat edition cards for teaching purposes. I just bought a bunch of ink in bulk, so that shouldn't be too big an issue and card stock is really cheap, all things considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah OK. Well my wife is working that weekend, so the chances of me getting away for it are slim to none. I'll stay in touch him case anything changes though.

Good luck with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Todd! By the way, any advice in general you might give a newbie teaching newbies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
A newbie teaching newbies. Well, take it slowly. It's a big game with a lot to take in. I'd recommend starting with some relatively simple deck builds, such as Crab big guys with simple actions. A Crane honor deck with some clear send-home actions, etc. Avoid anything like regions right away, just stick to personalities, actions, holdings, and some basic attachments.

Then maybe step up to more complicated versions, such as a Crab berserker deck, which is again a big guy deck but has some more varied actions for berserkers. Or a Crane honor deck that uses magistrates or duelists or scouts as it's core.

Then once they've got that down they're ready for the whole shebang. Crab merchant dishonor, Spider ninja control, Mantis shugenja honor, Crane scout military switch, etc. etc. etc.

When I demo L5R, I really emphasize the story and the characters. The fact that these guys in your deck are YOUR clan, and you at tournaments can affect their lives. That almost all of them have their own backstory in fiction, with their own struggles and goals. That other Lions (or Mantis, or Spider, or whoever) all around the world are on your team and you're all working towards the same goals that can be reflected in the game.

Well, except that time the Scorpion player base split on an issue regarding their former Clan champion... but that makes for great meta-game politics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Oh Sean, how I wish I could be there to help out!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too, for two reasons.

1) Someone there would actually be familiar with the game.
2) I'd get to meet you in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to highjack the thread but wouldn't the War & Honour box be the way to go in regards to starting the system? If everyone pitched in and played that ...
I am not sure myself never having played the CCG but I am interested nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, that's really not a bad idea, actually. Finding out who's interested, and then going in on a booster box and splitting the cards by clan, or picking up War of Honor, like you said... Of course, i need to see who's interested before I can make that split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The venue had something come up and had to push back the interest/tutorial meetup to the following weekend. Huzzah! Another week to learn the rules and maybe even get a game or two in before hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait so now it's the weekend of the 26th/27th?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell us how it goes in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Coincidentally both I and the shop owner asked independently of one another about the feasibility of pushing it back a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK well I'll see about the possibility of coming down there for it. Can you provide the time and location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would to be added to this list. I was a one time L5R player but haven't played in years - though I occasionally pick up some cards for old time sake. I used to play Scorpion dishonor or Ratling military. I once came in second in a local tournament with a sealed deck/draft Ratling deck. I think some of the rules have changed (actually become a little easier) since I played but I would enjoy giving it a go again. I also have the War of Honor box and would be happy to bring it and some practice (though untried) decks.
I'm in Jackson, but can be mobile. When precisely is this happening - I frequently have to work nights or weekends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was originally slated to be at Van's Comics on Saturday, Jan 21 around noon, but I'm not sure if pushing it back to the following week changed the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK well keep us posted. It's about 2.5-3 hours from my folks house (where we'll be visiting that weekend) to Jackson, so it's not an awful drive, and I'd like to do it to see some new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
OK well keep us posted. It's about 2.5-3 hours from my folks house (where we'll be visiting that weekend) to Jackson, so it's not an awful drive, and I'd like to do it to see some new players.

If you are ever coming to Japan, you can introduce it to me and my friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other guy hosting, by the way, is a user on here
Adam Chance
United States
Madison
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

He runs the Chance of Gaming Podcast and wanted to ask you about doing an interview for his podcast while you're in town (if possible. I feel like we're monopolizing your weekend).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Chance
United States
Madison
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm the other guy at the demo.

Actually the store owner asked me to run something both weekends.

On the 21st at Vans Comics and Cards, some guys I know that play L5R in Hattiesburg are coming up to meet with us and anyone else interested in getting the game off the ground.

The following weekend we would love to repeat and have Todd there. A ton of Magic players will be in the store that day and it will be a great time to get new players.

The area has a TON of CCG players, but no L5R, I hope to change that.

Also Todd, I would love to interview you for my podcast, if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying, Adam. I've been getting over a cold and not sleeping well besides, so sometimes the details get jumbled in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Chance
United States
Madison
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
got this in the mail today:

"Legend of the Five Rings is FREE to print and play through the end of March 2012. With Emperor Edition on our doorstep, we wanted to give L5R fans and new players curious about the game a way to get started at no cost to them! In the attached PDF flyer, you can learn all about Legend of the Five Rings, and find links to the rulebook, and NINE fully playable printable decks, one for each Clan. And these are not cheap beginner decks!"

http://www.l5r.com/news/kolat-edition-pdf-available/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true! I just looked at them and these are complete, respectable decks (to my limited understanding of the game, but hey! I've at least watched a full game played and got to play a few rounds of another! And later this week, my wife and I get to actually play a game together!)

Also, Todd linked to complete Emperor's Kolat Edition print-n-play decks for each clan in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/752212/free-official-leg...

I'll be bringing several to the meetup. I was able to print up one for every person in my group last night for their favored clan and still had ink left over, and since I have tons of ink, I can probably have a deck of each so people can choose the clan that interests them most and see how they like the way that clan plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Chance
United States
Madison
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on Todd coming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.