Subject: How to store/ hold your game cards together [POLL] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so after having a separate thread collecting some ideas, i have now made up a poll listing the choices.

Poll
when storing your games, what are your preferred choices to holding the game's cards together?
rubber bands
PlastiBands
hair ties ("scrunchies")
"bondage" tape
hugo's amazing tape
envelopes
baggies
deck boxes
tuck boxes
hard plastic card cases
self-made inserts
box insert itself (whatever & however it comes)
nothing/ loose in the box
      282 answers
Poll created by abe18
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baggies loose in the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope people will find this poll helpful and easy to find. it might prevent the often asked forum question - how to hold/store my cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered insert and baggies.

I throw away at least 50% of my inserts and 'normally' use baggies.

If I keep the insert it is because I deemed that it works for all it's components including the cards.

There is one game I use deck boxes and a couple I use Hugo's Tape for, but those are out layers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I ditch most of my inserts primarily because I tote games around quite often. If I had a dedicated game room where the games could be stored on their backs, and they were only taken off the shelf to play in the game room... I'd probably keep a lot more of the inserts. I tend to use both baggies and scrunchies.

Since obtaining some Hugo's Amazing Tape a few years ago (thanks Matt for my initial roll!) I've started to keep a slightly higher percentage of inserts. The tape allows the cards to be held together and often still fit within their designated space in the insert. This allows for the games to be carted around and intact when opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this guy gets some thumbs for his well put together poll. 30 pollsters and 4 thumbs so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing you or anyone else will do will ever prevent the "often-asked" forum questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I use rubber bands. But I will hit up an Office Max/Depot soon to buy some cardstock to make tuck boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I went through 5 rolls of Hugo's Tape last year. In case you're wondering where to find it: Hugo's Amazing Tape!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greekramos wrote:
I think I went through 5 rolls of Hugo's Tape last year. In case you're wondering where to find it: Hugo's Amazing Tape!

or here for a fraction of the price:

http://www.boardsandbits.com/advanced_search_result.php?sear...=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic Saran wrap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for price comparison, see bondage tape:

http://www.amazon.com/Joanna-Angel-2-inch-Bondage-Tape/dp/B0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
I often just take a strip of spare paper, wrap the deck and tape the paper. Instant tuck paper(?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use fused hairbands (the kind without metal nibs) and/or plastic baggies. The baggies are usually for keeping multiple tied decks together, or for unusually-sized cards like the units in Civilization or the locations in Elder Sign. If a game comes with its own storage solution (like Earth Reborn or Settlers of Catan) I use that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Nothing you or anyone else will do will ever prevent the "often-asked" forum questions!

ur probably right. but perhaps this poll can be used as a reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in case anyone is interested - i did 2 other polls, 1 comparing Hugo's amazing tape and "bondage" tape, and another 1 about their preferred width.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/745863/hugos-amazing-tape-vs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a few things from the list, depending on the situation.

Ideally, I don't use anything and just store the cards in the insert. This works well for Ascension.

If a game requires a combination of pieces and cards for each player at the start of the game, I like to bag each set up. I do this for games like Castle Ravenloft where I put each character miniature and power cards in a zip-lock bag, or Thebes where I place each player's marker, time track marker, and excavation markers (which are cards) into a zip-lock bag. This makes storage and set-up a lot easier.

I bought a bag of hair bands, but have never used them. Similarly, I received a roll of Hugo's for Christmas from my wife, but have yet to use it. I plan to use it to secure cards in games which I find have inserts that work in-game but fail for storage (like Lord of the Rings and Candamir: The First Settlers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use baggies I get from my bank for bringing in loose change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use rubber bands if a) the cards are plastic and b) it's a game I play often. If it's a game I play seldom (say once or twice a year), rubber bands will destroy the cards (if you play it often, they'll snap before they get that bad), so then I keep them in baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I go through a ton of Hugo's, but seldom use it on cards. Instead, I use it to secure box lids (especially on games with shallow boxes, boxes with damaged lids, or boxes that are a bit too full after I added some player (or teacher) aids. It's been my salvation, even I did impale myself with a Swiss Army knife cutting off a slice once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Redward wrote:
I hope this guy gets some thumbs for his well put together poll. 30 pollsters and 4 thumbs so far... :(

Why do you even care?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:

I immediately regret clicking that link. I'm going to have recommendations based on that on the front page of Amazon for weeks now cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
I often just take a strip of spare paper, wrap the deck and tape the paper. Instant tuck paper(?).

This is what I often do; usually glue the paper rather than tape though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never use rubber bands. Rubber bands destroy cards. Doing a mistake like that once is enough for a lifetime, to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm: yes, they do. They dry out, and leave marks on the cards.

HOWEVER, if it's a game you play often (once a month or so), the rubber bands will snap WAY before they dry out enough to make marks.

As they are really, really easy to use, I find myself using rubber bands for games I often play. This is despite the fact that I had some cards destroyed by rubber bands earlier. The danger here is remembering which games you use rubber bands for (currently for me: Only DungeonQuest) and remembering to remove them when the game goes in a low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.