Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first Abstract Strategy Game Day went really well, and there has already been some clamor for the next one, so I'm making it official.

Saturday, February 4th, 2012.
1PM till our brains are fried!
At the Spyhouse Coffee Shop on Nicollet & 25th Street in Minneapolis.

Games played at Minneapolis Abstract Strategy Game Day #1 - January 7th

I am definitely looking forward to more GIPF Project games, as well as more Shibumi playing. Feel free to post below if you're going to show up (particularly if there are any games you want me to be sure to bring), or just meet us there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have some help this time Joe! I'm planning to come up from Mankato with my icehouse set and some other games... though I'm not sure how into the grey area of "is that an abstract" you guys might want to go. Below are some games I'm thinking of bringing:

Clearly Abstracts:
My Icehouse Collection
Epigo
Quoridor
Hey! That's My Fish!
Through the Desert
Ingenious
Go/Pente

Grey Area Abstracts:
StreetSoccer
Manhattan
Battleline
Fealty
FITS
Wasabi!
Powerboats
Torres

If there is anything else in my collection anybody is interested in I can probably bring it along... Just let me know. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey Marty! I'll have to skip this time as I'm playing Magic with some friends for a birthday celebration. I'm definitely interested in playing again though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benjotron wrote:
Hey Marty! I'll have to skip this time as I'm playing Magic with some friends for a birthday celebration. I'm definitely interested in playing again though!

Thanks for the heads up, I won't tnink to myself "hey where's that jerk face Ben?!?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... with about a week to go I'm wondering how much I need to brush up on icehouse game rules... Some of my favorites are Homeworlds, Pikemen, IceFrogs and Martian Chess. If there are any others anyone is intersted in trying let me know and I'll be sure to be ready to teach them.

Also, does anyone have a copy of Ponte del Diavolo? Its pretty high on my "abstracts I'd like to try" list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
So... with about a week to go I'm wondering how much I need to brush up on icehouse game rules... Some of my favorites are Homeworlds, Pikemen, IceFrogs and Martian Chess. If there are any others anyone is intersted in trying let me know and I'll be sure to be ready to teach them.

Of those I have only played Martian Chess. I would totally be into learning more Icehouse games. I know Joe was interested in playing Volcano last time, and we never quite got around to it. I've played that one too.

ZackStack wrote:
Also, does anyone have a copy of Ponte del Diavolo? Its pretty high on my "abstracts I'd like to try" list.

I do not. Haven't even seen it before. Looks interesting though! Part of the reason for this meetup is that I just never get to play the abstract games I already own, so when I increase that number, it's got to be something I REALLY want to play. hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have a friend's copy of Oshi to play this weekend. Read through the rules last night, (there's not much). Should be fairly simple, but probably worth a play or two.

I also invented an abstract over the weekend as part of the Global Game Jam. I'm calling it Eat Thyself (BGG entry is pending). I'd love to get it on the table some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my wife and I will probably stop by shortly after 1pm... we've got a game to trade with Zack

We don't have much in the way of abstracts, but we can bring our Icehouse stuff. We've got:

* 2 full IceDice sets (4x Rainbow Stash, 2x Dice sets)
* 1 pink Treehouse set (1x Pink Stash, 1x Treehouse Die)

We haven't played many of the actual Looney Pyramids games, but are willing to learn. The rules for most of them look pretty straightforward. We've played World War 5 and have the mounted map for it; it's a pretty cute game but I don't know how heavy it is on the strategy scale.

If there's anything in our collection that's abstract enough for tomorrow that anyone would like to play, just lemme know and we'll bring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have complete stashes of all the pyramid colors except gray... but I haven't played WW5 or Icedice yet! As for the rest of your collection... Pompeii, Haggis, and Micropul all at least have an abstract feel (Well, Haggis has more of a classic card game feel I suppose... but it is pretty high on my "want to play since my wife might like it" list whistle )

I'll be bringing my friend Jonathan along with me as well and we should be there a bit after 1. If you have any requests from his collection let me know and I'll pass it along:

Jonathan
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can bring Pompeii and Haggis; I really like them both. I'll bring micropul along but to be honest I haven't played it in well over a year. After reading the rules I thought we would like it more than we did, and the PnP copy I made has only been played probably twice. I'll bring it along and if someone wants to try it out then they can, and if anyone likes the game they can have it

EDIT: I'd like to try Fealty. I have the PDFs for the PnP version from one of the really cheap Kickstarter levels, but I haven't constructed it yet. Would be cool if I could try out your copy before I decide wither to construct mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think someone else brought their copy last time... but if no one chimes in here before I leave I'll be sure to bring my copy of Fealty along!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
I think someone else brought their copy last time... but if no one chimes in here before I leave I'll be sure to bring my copy of Fealty along!

I had mine with last time, but it didn't fit into the bin with all the other games. I'm going to try really hard to bring even fewer games this time... so I was going to leave fealty at home. Do bring yours though, and I'll be happy to play it.

I'm definitely interested in Micropul, I don't think I've played that before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I'm starting to think fewer games would be wise myself laugh I will bring my copy of Fealty though. See you this afternoon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time also and added a few new GeekBuddies too! Sorry I won't be able to make it back for a while... but once things get settled down with my impending offspring I hope to be a regular (though maybe I'll bring the small bag next time laugh )

Let us know when you post that geeklist Marty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist is here:

Games played at Minneapolis Abstract Strategy Game Day #2 - Feb 4th 2012

I had a great time too, it was a shame it was so hard to find a table at first, but once we got going I think it all worked out. Thanks for coming everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grid wrote:

Oh, and of course feel free to add any I might have missed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A geeklist I thought might interest you guys:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/122930/abstract-strategy-g...

I backed Rise! and For The Win on kickstarter. Hopefully they'll be printed on schedule so I can share them this summer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s a pity Minneapolis is more than 7000 km away from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
A geeklist I thought might interest you guys:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/122930/abstract-strategy-g...

I backed Rise! and For The Win on kickstarter. Hopefully they'll be printed on schedule so I can share them this summer!

Sweet, thanks for the geeklist link.

I also backed Rise! and FTW. I'm particularly excited about Rise. Looks cool, I think. I think the jury is still out (for me) on FTW. But for $15, can't go wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
It´s a pity Minneapolis is more than 7000 km away from me.

Agreed! Any time you can make it to minneapolis, I'd love to play some games with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.