Subject: Custom/Premium Dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Received, assembled, and learned this game yesterday. Really excited to play -- it seems like a ton of dice-rolling fun, which I love. Interested to see how some of the mechanics play out but they seemed fun on paper.

The one thing I selfishly wish the game had was better dice. This is a pretty obvious point of contention given that few are used to putting stickers on dice nowadays. I certainly appreciate that R&R had to go this route in order to get anywhere close to a reasonable sale price. But I was wondering if there was any plan on R&R's end or maybe some enterprising user to make custom higher-quality dice. With a little work, the dice could fit quite nicely into the theme. And the expansion teams, instead of being just new sticker sets with different numbers, could each really have their own feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
AstroLad wrote:
With a little work, the dice could fit quite nicely into the theme. And the expansion teams, instead of being just new sticker sets with different numbers, could each really have their own feel.
I do understand what you mean and it would have been nice to have molded dice but as people and yourself have stated, the cost would go up a fair bit. To be honest, I enjoyed preparing my dice and like that they are larger than average. You will enjoy the game and as I have said on a few reviews, get one or several of the expansions because you'll be suprised how much more of a strategy you will start to employ against different teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
Received, assembled, and learned this game yesterday. Really excited to play -- it seems like a ton of dice-rolling fun, which I love. Interested to see how some of the mechanics play out but they seemed fun on paper.

The one thing I selfishly wish the game had was better dice. This is a pretty obvious point of contention given that few are used to putting stickers on dice nowadays. I certainly appreciate that R&R had to go this route in order to get anywhere close to a reasonable sale price. But I was wondering if there was any plan on R&R's end or maybe some enterprising user to make custom higher-quality dice. With a little work, the dice could fit quite nicely into the theme. And the expansion teams, instead of being just new sticker sets with different numbers, could each really have their own feel.

Well that begs the question, what would you pay for the game with molded dice rather than the stickered ones? Keep in mind that the game itself AND each expansion set would have a higher price point. So, what would you pay for a game and what would you pay for an expansion set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:

Well that begs the question, what would you pay for the game with molded dice rather than the stickered ones? Keep in mind that the game itself AND each expansion set would have a higher price point. So, what would you pay for a game and what would you pay for an expansion set?

Honestly I would pay pretty good money. I don't know what the going rate is, but I do remember buying the nice Arkham dice, so I would say I would pay at least +$10 for nice dice. Not saying I'm the norm here, I'm certainly someone who really values quality components and I think they'd be a good fit here. By the way, this thread isn't to imply that the game is not of nice quality. Solely focused on the dice here and the opportunity/my desire for nice dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hamilton
United Kingdom
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd echo the fact that I'd be more than willing to purchase 'super dice' for at least the cost of FFG's Arkham Horror equivalent. This, despite the fact that us UK residents are ripped off regarding the dollar exchange. As a NFL fan (Go Pack Go!) this game is about the nearest I'll ever get to a true NFL experience. Thanks R&R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Echo W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:

Honestly, I really want this game, but I shied away due to the dice. I would, personally, be willing to spend $15-$20 more on the base game and probably $5-$7 more for the expansions. Especially after reading all the glowing reviews!

I have to assume that I, too, am outside of the norm. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, well, we'll explore it and see if it's feasible. I remember looking at it originally and the upfront tooling costs were just crazy prohibitive for an initial release. But I'll analyze it again and see what we can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Dye
United States
Abingdon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definately be intrested! It would be totally ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done both a review and a session report for this game. In both of those I comlained about the oversized plastic dice and having to place the stickers on them. Having made my thoughts known I should tell you that the oversized plastic dice that come with the game work PERFECT. They roll nice, are easier to read, and are quieter than molded dice. I have about 10 games under my belt now and these dice have really grown on me.

I am not sure what the MSRP is for this game but you can find it online for $19.99 which is a BARGAIN for how much fun you will get out of it. While I would certainly consider purchasing a custom set of dice for this game if they were resonably priced, I dont know that I would shell out an extra $15 for my original purchase of this game.

My main point, PLEASE dont let the dice issue scare you away from a very fun football game that will give you and your friends lots of pleasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cuthbert
Scotland
Dunfermline
Fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love the dice and didn't find the stickers that much of an issue to be honest. I'd rather have a cheaper game, that way I can get the expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the dice are the item making me hesitant about purchasing this game. I've had other games in the past with stickered dice. Over time, in my experience, the dice seem to fail -- usually peeling or adhesive loosening. If higher quality dice were available, I would purchase the main set and all expansions. I'm willing to pay more for a higher quality product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bolin
United States
CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
throwingmuse wrote:
Actually, the dice are the item making me hesitant about purchasing this game. I've had other games in the past with stickered dice. Over time, in my experience, the dice seem to fail -- usually peeling or adhesive loosening. If higher quality dice were available, I would purchase the main set and all expansions. I'm willing to pay more for a higher quality product.

Ahh the mistakes with sticker dice start early. follow these steps and the paper will rot before it comes off. (not counting extreme heat)

Wash your dice with warm soap and water (very well)
rinse the soap
Dry of course it is best if you wash them the day before (covered so they do not collect dust)

using clean hands and a pair of clean tweezers peel the stickers off (grabbing with the tweezers) and place it on the die being careful not to ride the side.
use the back of a (non clicking) ball point pen and rub the sticker on

easy, done, stickers will last a long time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice aren't THAT expensive. I buy custom dice from Chessex quite often. Companies should buy the cetter dice and chard a few bucks more for their game. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little extra for decent equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little extra for decent equipment.

That's what SHE said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
Dice aren't THAT expensive. I buy custom dice from Chessex quite often. Companies should buy the cetter dice and chard a few bucks more for their game. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little extra for decent equipment.

You do realize that these are special dice and not the normal 1 to 6 pips, right?

One cannot call Chessex and say "I want a 6 sided die with -3, -1, 0, 1, 3 and 6" on it!

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bolin
United States
CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:

You do realize that these are special dice and not the normal 1 to 6 pips, right?

One cannot call Chessex and say "I want a 6 sided die with -3, -1, 0, 1, 3 and 6" on it!

Thx
jonpfl

you can it would cost you $3.75 a die but you can (and you have to order a bunch of them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daloonieshaman wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:

Thx
jonpfl

you can it would cost you $3.75 a die but you can (and you have to order a bunch of them)

Well, there you go. If you want them, order them!

Do you really expect a game company to include them at that cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.