Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and I was wondering if you guys had tips. How many investigators should I use? Any files I should get in the file section to help me? I'm basically going at it solo to learn the rules, once I got them down I will invite more than to play.

So, any tips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first game? One investigator! You'll first have to learn how to manage one, get familiar with all the fiddly bits and rules. Go with more investigators later.

And I'm sure that there are useful files here on the geek, but you can learn the game from the rulebook. Get the basic ideas first before you delve into all the information here.

And whenever you have questions, we're glad to help you out!

Welcome to Arkham and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick reply. 1 investigator it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravmacDaddy wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply. 1 investigator it is.

Just to make sure that you don't have the wrong expectations: you won't win your first game solo. Nor your second. If you do, think back about what you did to learn if something went wrong. The game is hard solo, probably your best bet to victory is to defeat the Ancient One directly in the final battle.

So your first couple of games are just for learning. But a very good thing about Arkham is: you'll have a good experience even if you loose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I disagree with the one investigator approach. I would recommend using at least 3, even 4 (which is my standard way of playing).

Not only will you have a better chance of succeeding, you will also better learn the game. The majority of rule questions can be answered by "follow[ing] the phases." There is no better way to do this then forcing yourself to learn it with multiple investigators, going phase by phase one at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want any chance of winning, try 4 Investigators. But if you want to just "mark through" then I guess a singleton is sufficient. However, there are aspects of play wherein player order is important and you won't see those until you have at least three Investigators. So mark it through once then try adding as many additional Investigators as you think you can cope with (up to a total of 4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am going to go with one investigator just to get the hang of it, then maybe add 2 more the next game.

Now I guess I should ask how hard is it too get the rules down with solo 1 investigator? Is it difficult? How many turns in before people usually start getting the hang of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll get the basics of the game also when you do your first game with just one player. What you'll miss is some subtleties caused by the player order, mostly during the movement phase when a monster blocks your path and you want somebody to save your ass so that you can move on. Well, I wouldn't worry about that on your very first game. Learning how to cooperate efficiently in this game is something that's gonna take a couple of plays anyway.

But indeed, be sure you try it with more investigators soon! Playing with 4 investigators is the easiest for winning, but if you get the hang of it you can win with 2 or 3 investigators as well. It's not as hopeless as is suggested above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K, well thanks again. I'm going to load up on coffee and give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another vote for at least two investigators, preferably four. It's a lot of bookkeeping, but this dry is run is supposed to simulate group play and have you anticipate questions that will come up then. Playing with only one doesn't give much chance for that.

Be very, very strict to go in turn order: upkeep, then movement, etc. This will answer most of the questions that come up. Just knowing that you fight monsters in the movement phase alleviates a lot of confusion, for example.

As always, use Universal Head's player aids. The man is a lifesaver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn flowchart is also very useful. I used it recently to refresh my memory:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/13215/arkham-horror-tu...

You'll have the game rules down in no time if you follow it in combination with the Universal Head Summary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The universal player head is printing now, then to the turn flowchart and then I am ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Elfving
Denmark
Randers C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I disagree with the one investigator approach. I would recommend using at least 3, even 4 (which is my standard way of playing).

Not only will you have a better chance of succeeding, you will also better learn the game. The majority of rule questions can be answered by "follow[ing] the phases." There is no better way to do this then forcing yourself to learn it with multiple investigators, going phase by phase one at a time.

I agree, to learn the rules and phases I would recommend starting with 3 investigators (or 2 for the first game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Elfving
Denmark
Randers C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
The turn flowchart is also very useful. I used it recently to refresh my memory:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/13215/arkham-horror-tu...

You'll have the game rules down in no time if you follow it in combination with the Universal Head Summary.

This one is a great help, highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williamson
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would recommend 2 - 3 investigators - perhaps with a slight rule variant where you pull a Mythos card every two turns rather than every turn, although you should maybe not go off piste with the rules just yet. A first solo run with just the one investigator is a good idea for learning the mechanics - it's just a bit masochistic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up doing 1 investigator, it was hella fun but I got my ass kicked and it took nine hours (I went back and forth from the game and my daughters) , I'm gonna try again with 3 players tomorrow and hopefully I'll have it down a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravmacDaddy wrote:
I ended up doing 1 investigator, it was hella fun but I got my ass kicked and it took nine hours (I went back and forth from the game and my daughters) , I'm gonna try again with 3 players tomorrow and hopefully I'll have it down a lot better.

You survived for 9 hours?! That's a frakking good job! Yeah, go with three or four. I agree with them that you need it to get the full experience of the cooperation that is involved and needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 2 month old and a 2 year old so I was playing the game when my daughters were not needing anything, it was probably only 4 hours of actual game time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice when playing solo is have each investigator do all the phases before moving to the next investigator it will flow better and its easier to focus on what you need to do. Dont play with just one investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
redeye wrote:
My advice when playing solo is have each investigator do all the phases before moving to the next investigator it will flow better and its easier to focus on what you need to do. Dont play with just one investigator.

Once again, I have to disagree. Following the phases is one of the most important aspects for deciphering the rules and learning the game. If you are going to do this, you are better off playing one character only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
redeye wrote:

Once again, I have to disagree. Following the phases is one of the most important aspects for deciphering the rules and learning the game. If you are going to do this, you are better off playing one character only.

Interesting. I play it this way because of the overhead of controlling more than one character by myself (always a consideration when playing solo)and I can focus on single character without swapping several times between movement and encounters.I havent had any problems. What conflicts will result in playing it this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
redeye wrote:
What conflicts will result in playing it this way?

The majority of rule questions on this forum can be answered by literally following the phases. They are there for a reason.

If you are going through an entire character's turn, you are losing the subtlety that is in the design for handling things in player turn order and phase.

Off the top of my head, one would be seeing how Character A does in dealing with a monster in Phase 2 and then going about and adjusting Character B's Upkeep levels to now react to how that resolved.

There have been numerous timing issues with people who have tried to do both Phase 3 and Phase 4 at the same time (since they are both encounter phases). Going player by player instead of phase by phase will cause you issues here (even if you haven't seen an interaction yet).

There would also probably be issues with trading and allowing something to happen that wouldn't normal happen if following the phases.

This game is an admin headache. But it is better to do all Upkeep, them all movement, then all Arkham encounters, etc. It isn't any more of a logistical nightmare than going player by player and is the correct way to play.

I play solo and juggle 4 characters. Housekeeping has never been an issue while following the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a common discussion: sequential Phases or sequential Investigators. ColtsFan has pretty much put the case for the designer's intent and that is always how I play. But... the main benefit that sequential phases from my point of view is that when you have large groups of players there would be huge downtime between your turns if you used sequential players. For smaller groups of players that may not be so much of a consideration, so trading off some of the nuance of intra- and inter-Phase timing against being able to keep a grip on what you're doing may not be a totally bad thing. Personally I love the little wrinkles that sequential Phases cause and wouldn't have it any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.