Subject: Games Workshop...WTH is going on here? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so the below thread "Banned from Games Workshop" has me really wanting an answer to a few questions.
Please let me know if what I know is right or wrong here folks- Im just seeking some piece of mind:

-As I understand it Fantasy Flight bought the rights to WHQ but cant produce the Mini's for it so they aren't making the game ever. (Odd business decision in my opinion).

-GW retains the rights to the minis and yet you cant play the game in their stores because they don't support it. (Odd practice as the own "half" the game one could say.)

-So if GW has the Minis and FFG has the rest then who exactly owns the damn game? Why is it such a hot mess of business practices?

It makes me smile to think that one game could cause so much attention on the part of two companies, and I find it interesting that one is allowing it to collect dust while the other is actively banning its very presence in locations although they own a portion of it.

I guess what Im looking for here is an accurate history of what happened to WHQ and why?
I mean if I bought the rights to a rather successful game I'd print that badboy en mass and make some jack off it. It's not like FFG cant make its own damn minis lol- seriously look at Runewars for example.
On the other end if I were GW i'd keep producing the minis I owned for folks to buy and paint (with my paint and supplies).
IDK, i just dont get all of this.
Anyone have a little light to shed on history and current events for me? I've only discovered WHQ about 18 months ago so im not up to speed on the lore surrounding it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
FFG has got a license for Warhammer themed boardgames. These boardgames are not allowed to include miniatures (at least none, that are similiar in scale and quality to GWs core-games). That's not the same as owning the license for WHQ.
The rights to WHQ are still with GW. They might re-print it someday, like they did with Space Hulk. Or they might not, given how bad the Man o'War spin-off last year has been selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG publishes Descent and other fantasy adventure games. They may have purchased an exclusive license for the grand-daddy of all fantasy adventure games to keep someone else from publishing something that would compete with their Rune line.

Or, like with Death Angel and Team Manager, they may have a WQ themed card game in the works, but haven't yet reached a point in the development where they care to advertise it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, Skaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another deterrent against Warhammer Quest being published is, oddly enough, the manuals and floor tiles. One of the reasons that GW licenses their properties out to FFG for board games is that they prefer to do as much in-house production as possible with their own releases. This means as many miniatures as possible, but as few books and cardboard pieces as can be managed. Space Hulk was something of an exception made due to demand both internally and externally. Something similar may well happen with Blood Bowl this year or next as well. This shows that Warhammer Quest certainly is possible, but the combination of miniatures (so not publishable by FFG) and lots of books and cardboard (thus not attractive for GW publish) is a big hurdle to overcome.

Tanakor's point above about Dreadfleet looking like is has had sluggish sales is an interesting one. I think it could push GW either way. It may make them reluctant to do other one-off games games in the future, but it may also potentially have a effect that instead increases the likelihood of Warhammer Quest being published. If they remain committed to a continuing cycle of one-off publications every other year or so, then the relative failure of Dreadfleet compared to Space Hulk may make them far more inclined to tap into the archives rather than risk another new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG never got the rights to WHQ. They might get the rights to a card game. But unlikely to get the actual game. Moreso since its one of the designers and staffs favorites for a good while. They will be reluctant to let that go. Its allways possible. But its very remote.

As for rulebooks being a deterrant. WHQ has less than the WHFB boxed set from the same era.

The real problem are the tiles it seems. The 3e SH tiles failed for reasons unknown and GW would have to likely try a diffrent tile making company for a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Tanakor's point above about Dreadfleet looking like is has had sluggish sales is an interesting one. I think it could push GW either way. It may make them reluctant to do other one-off games games in the future, but it may also potentially have a effect that instead increases the likelihood of Warhammer Quest being published. If they remain committed to a continuing cycle of one-off publications every other year or so, then the relative failure of Dreadfleet compared to Space Hulk may make them far more inclined to tap into the archives rather than risk another new game.

I would offer that the main reason Dreadfleet failed is that people were expecting it to be Man O' War and it was far from it. With Space Hulk they actually made the game better with the new reprint while keeping the essence of what it was about. I was excited about Dreadfleet until I saw GW's own press release information on their website and then was immediately turned off when I saw it wasn't like Man O' War at all.

The main reason I can't see FFG publishing a reprint of WHQ (even if they could) is that they are coming out with Descent 2nd edition later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerith Morgan-Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weren't there stories of GW losing the WHQ files in a fire circulating a few years ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion of insanity wrote:
Weren't there stories of GW losing the WHQ files in a fire circulating a few years ago?

Not sure why that would matter. GW wouldn't just re-release it as is, they'd re-do it from the ground up like Space Hulk. If they really had no electronic copy of old rules to reference I'm sure they could acquire a copy of all of the Warhammer Quest materials to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tisdel
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
The Man with the Pointy Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
I had heard from "insiders" that WHQ was very expensive for GW to produce - the basic game had lots of one-off parts (at the time) and significant paper products. The expansion figures and adventure packs were also not making money due to the additional paper products required.

WHQ may not see the light of day as it probably won't have a good ROI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cerith Morgan-Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

Not sure why that would matter. GW wouldn't just re-release it as is, they'd re-do it from the ground up like Space Hulk. If they really had no electronic copy of old rules to reference I'm sure they could acquire a copy of all of the Warhammer Quest materials to date.

I hadn't thought of that. I've not played Space Hulk so thought it was just the same as before with some fancy new minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

I hadn't thought of that. I've not played Space Hulk so thought it was just the same as before with some fancy new minis.

Game mechanics quite closely adhere to 1st edition, but the rulebooks were completely rewritten.

In the case of WHQ, it would actually behove them to rewrite the rules for a very simple reason. As much as I feel that it's a classic that shouldn't be messed with, from GW's perspective the game only really has value for them as a product if it ties into the current edition of WHFB. The WHQ rules as written now include lots of creatures that are long gone from the current edition and incorporate none of the new additions since 1995. I have no clue how much the WHFB ruleset has changed since WHQ was publish, so I'm not in a position to speculate as to whether it's easier to bring the WHQ into line with the current rules, or to retrofit newer additions to the Fantasy setting back into the extant WHQ rules. But I have no doubt that one step or the other would need to be taken if a new WHQ were to be published again. Either way would mean a sizeable chunk (if not the whole game) would get a massive overhaul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHQ is also different in other ways, as it's definitely not a simple and consistent boardgame. It's more like an 'open-source' product, with several inconsistencies in its original version acutally, that excels after implementing house rules and fan-made additions.
Therefore, GW and every other publisher might have a problem with re-publishing WHQ, as it neither has the (marketing-relevant) characteristics of a boardgame (Space Hulk) nor of an RPG (Horus Heresy, WFRP) nor of a miniatures game. After a reprint it definitely wouldn't be the same at all as it is now, it would be much more Descent-like for sure.

But who cares anyway...
- Many people (like us) who don't complain about long rulebooks, character descriptions, tons of lists and tables, might see no point in buying a re-print. We've got everything we need and can expand the game individually. Fan-based support works great, and their ideas and additions offer everything you might ever desire.
- Other people (like the average boardgamer) will prefer a game that is easy to get into and that doesn't require you to buy additional miniatures - one like Descent.

So, assuming that it would have to be a 'light' version, I'd much more prefer a reprint of Hero Quest with revised rules, high-quality components (like Space Hulk) and several expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Holliday wrote:
WHQ is also different in other ways, as it's definitely not a simple and consistent boardgame. It's more like an 'open-source' product, with several inconsistencies in its original version acutally, that excels after implementing house rules and fan-made additions.
Therefore, GW and every other publisher might have a problem with re-publishing WHQ, as it neither has the (marketing-relevant) characteristics of a boardgame (Space Hulk) nor of an RPG (Horus Heresy, WFRP) nor of a miniatures game. After a reprint it definitely wouldn't be the same at all as it is now, it would be much more Descent-like for sure.

But who cares anyway...
- Many people (like us) who don't complain about long rulebooks, character descriptions, tons of lists and tables, might see no point in buying a re-print. We've got everything we need and can expand the game individually. Fan-based support works great, and their ideas and additions offer everything you might ever desire.
- Other people (like the average boardgamer) will prefer a game that is easy to get into and that doesn't require you to buy additional miniatures - one like Descent.

So, assuming that it would have to be a 'light' version, I'd much more prefer a reprint of Hero Quest with revised rules, high-quality components (like Space Hulk) and several expansions.

Well said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.