Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I've been thinking about the randomness of this game and found it somewhat too unpredictable.

I know I know that that's the idea, but I've thought about a type of pre-established AH game. One that tells a story.

For example: Cthulhu is awakening and his minions will assure that everything goes correctly. So, in the first turns, everytime a gate opens, a *Cultist* will come through. After some gates, some monsters starts to come (like Vampires, Ghouls, Mummies, Deep Ones etc), when there are few Doom Tokens left to awaken the GOO, the big guys shows up (Dark Youngs, Colour, Dhole, Formless Spawn etc).

The idea is to increase the story behind AH.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a good scary monster right at the start! Not knowing how terrible the next monster is adds to the fun and tension to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's an interesting idea. I know that the Arkham League has done something like this and the GOO's from the expansion boxes have, more and more, brought more of their own theme. The idea of a separate monster bags for different points in the game seems simple enough to use and thematic enough to enjoy. My only concern would be that if the game were more scripted in this fashion, strategy and player responses would also become more scripted. To use your example, it would be good strategy every single game to try a "rush" strategy of knocking out gates ASAP whatever the cost-- not arming up, joining the Silver Twilight, trying to get spells, etc. The tempo of the game would be more predictable. I agree that it loses something in the theme when thematically odd monsters appear in odd places at odd times, but this also adds to the everpresent dread of knowing that anything can happen.

Still, though, I am very interested to see if you or anyone else does something with this. Thanks for the idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing quite like a monster surge on the second Mythos draw and having to face a Dhole, Flying Polyp, two Star Spawn and a Shoggoth. So much for the at-start Elder Sign and Mandy picking up the first double clue.

It does get maddening, but that's the whole point.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've seen some similar ideas with some custom heralds/scenarios, but it's a good idea. Have at it: http://cgjennings.ca/eons/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragement!

I'll take a look at the league and see what they have done!

I like the idea of a scenario for AH, with different monster bags and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Google for "Arkham Horror cases". I know others have written "pre-programmed" AH scenarios. Let me know if you don't find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this?
http://arkhaminvestigations.barkingdoginteractive.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Venshad wrote:
Hi there!

I've been thinking about the randomness of this game and found it somewhat too unpredictable.

I know I know that that's the idea, but I've thought about a type of pre-established AH game. One that tells a story.

For example: Cthulhu is awakening and his minions will assure that everything goes correctly. So, in the first turns, everytime a gate opens, a *Cultist* will come through. After some gates, some monsters starts to come (like Vampires, Ghouls, Mummies, Deep Ones etc), when there are few Doom Tokens left to awaken the GOO, the big guys shows up (Dark Youngs, Colour, Dhole, Formless Spawn etc).

What do you think?

I've pulled out one of the signature monsters for each GOO and some Cultists. When the GOO is picked I put the signature monster or the modified Cultist on the first gate.

For your variant it sounds like you have three or four cups: Cultists, weak monsters, medium monsters and obscene monsters. This would make the end game more scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
Venshad wrote:
Hi there!

What do you think?

I've pulled out one of the signature monsters for each GOO and some Cultists. When the GOO is picked I put the signature monster or the modified Cultist on the first gate.

For your variant it sounds like you have three or four cups: Cultists, weak monsters, medium monsters and obscene monsters. This would make the end game more scary.

Exactly what I was thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suprised someone hasn't "scripted" a whole adventure by listing the order of Mythos Cards. For example start with "Goat Like Creature Spotted In The Woods", then "4th Of July Parade", then a Rumour, etc etc etc You'd arrange 14-20 Mythos cards this way, and that's the 'story' or 'script'.

Of course someone would have to put the cards in order without memorizing them...

I like the idea with the monsters- save the tougher ones for later. Or maybe separate some out and throw them into the cup at certain points on the Doom Track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea. Maybe draw a seperate card from the random pile to see where the gate/clues appear?
Or, you could list/write a series of events and just ignore the event text on the card. That might be the easiest way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about the comments above, I developed some guidelines, so we can work it out.

1- Pick the GOO before everything is set up and set all the Cultists (including monsters like Child of the Goat) above the GOO sheet;

2- Accordingly to the GOO, pick all monsters related in a separate sheet (Jim Kiefer idea) and set them above the GOO sheet;

3- Take all other monsters and separate them accordingly to Weak, Medium and Strong monsters. Weak monsters are worth 1 or 2 Toughness, Medium monsters are worth 1 or 2 Toughness but possess Magical|Physical Resistance|Immunity, Strong monsters are everything else available;

4- At the beginning of the game, put a cultist in every unstable location. If the number of cultists isn't enough, take a number of Weak creatures that is sufficient to complete all unstable locations. If the number of cultists is superior than the number of unstable locations, they are added to the Weak Monster cup. Monsters added this way DO NOT count against the monster limit;

5- After the first gate opens, take one monster from above the GOO sheet. Repeat the process until no monster is above the GOO sheet (In this case, select a monster from one of the cups).

6- If a Monster will be drawn from one of the cups (weak, medium or strong) calculate the overall item price of the group. Spells add $2 each. If the value is bellow $7/character, take a monster from the weak cup. If it is between $7 and $10, take a monster from the medium cup, otherwise take from the Strong cup;

7- If one the weak monster cup goes empty, take from the medium. If the medium cup is also empty, take from the strong. If the strong is empty, the GOO awakens.

So guys, these are guidelines for our work. Any comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kid Kunjer
msg tools
This is exactly what I do. My fellow players and I enjoy a more plot driven rpg style game, but find Arkham Investigations too complicated (AH is already complicated enough for us!). And I love to GM as I'm kind of creative (my novel is first prize winner of awards and featured on the front page of wattpad just a humble brag... ) we all grew up playing Heroquest and choose your own adventure books.

The variant I put together is one where locations are looked up in a little booklet (or really on laptop screen) and there is sometimes a little scripted action paragraph before the location encounter cards.

We've jettisoned the doom and terror tracks, to A. calm the pace to Silent Hill levels and B. keep the shops open to let a bit of buying go on when people actually have any money.

My favourite addition is to include a “search action” whereby certain features of the paragraphs are hidden unless the player on that location spends a clue token to “search” more thoroughly.
that way the clue tokens can actually be used to acquire real clues

The paragraphs are also determined by passwords that the players collect that help me keep track of variables. Etc.
The paragraphs include nearly anything I find interesting, side missions, whodunnit stuff, riddles, Myst like puzzles, Lovecraftian atmospherics etc.
Some of it kind of breaks the game, but nothing that a bit of creative GMing can't balance on the fly.

My players don't want to play the original rules any more. Only downside is that it takes about a solid day of prep to write all the paragraphs depending on the length of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original point of your question was to try and restack the core game elements into a more thematic set. I tried to do this. You can get some Mythos cards, items and monsters to tie but I found no way to address the location cards. With the Mythos cards, I tried a method by which we organized the cards into three groups of escalating difficulty (5-6 cards each) that were somewhat related but really didn't find a compelling grouping.

As mentioned by others, there are variants that try to address more thematic approaches.
Not to shill my contributions too much, but I tried to provide a more RPG like experience with the South Seas Tales expansion. In it I tried to create elements that gave a more structured approach to the game:

1. Plot cards, which control the pacing of the Mythos card impacts (delay or accelerate gate openings and monster movement)
2. Specific leads to replace generic clues to give more of a story line. The leads are tied to a story book that lets the players explore specific locations in pursuit of particular encounters

The downside of this approach is that it takes a lot of effort to print out and create player expansions. I have printed out at least 8 of the variants posted on geeks and love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.