Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I can't stop playing this. It's so addicting. I play competitively in ranked play almost every day. Each deck expansion pack has added some real interesting concepts and thrown the ranked play meta game into disarray.

What are folks thoughts as to which is the dominating deck? Before pack 2, I did very well with Grave Whispers. With pack 2, March to War won me many games. Now with pack 3, Beknighted is starting to look strong... indestructible paired with high percentage of creatures with first/double strike is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
Man, I can't stop playing this. It's so addicting. I play competitively in ranked play almost every day. Each deck expansion pack has added some real interesting concepts and thrown the ranked play meta game into disarray.

What are folks thoughts as to which is the dominating deck? Before pack 2, I did very well with Grave Whispers. With pack 2, March to War won me many games. Now with pack 3, Beknighted is starting to look strong... indestructible paired with high percentage of creatures with first/double strike is nice.

Yeah, this game is evilly addictive. In my experience, Kiora's Ancient Depths deck (IF it is built well), Sorin's Blood Hunger, and Tezzeret's Machinations are the most consistently powerful. I don't think any of the new decks have quite matched up to these.

I'm having a lot of success with RW March to War too, but I get the sense that it's not so much powerful as that people just haven't adjusted to it yet; opponents make a lot of bad plays against it.

I just started unlocking cards in the new RGU deck this morning and I haven't touched the Knight deck yet.

What do you think are the most consistently BAD decks? Or least fun to play (might not be the same as bad)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Ancient Depths is solid. But if you don't get that mana acceleration in your opening hand or initial draws, you're going to lose. I also find it weak against Grave Whispers and March to War (Path to Exile can easily deal with those nasty Eldrazi). March to War is a deck that's also about speed. So, if it can outpace Ancient Depths, which I think it has a good chance, it'll win.

Before the deck packs started coming out, I would have rated Blood Hunger in the top 3 best decks. I think it can still hang with the pack, but I don't think it's a frontrunner anymore.

Machinations. That's a deck that is fun. But I've not done well with it. If you can get out the 2-cost artifact that puts +1/+1 on all your artifact creatures... and protect him, you're going to have a solid game.

The new mono green deck is cool. But my win ratio with it is lower than 50%. I'd play it, but not in ranked play. It has non-creature removal in spades. But inadequate creature removal.

I like the mono blue deck too. But when I use it, I feel like that unlucky guy that just got nailed with a bad match up. Specifically, my opponent happens to have a deck with lots of creature targeting... which against illusions=removal.

Ghoul Keeper is strong. That BB knight with pro-white is nasty. The near-constant ability to retrieve dead zombies from the graveyard is also huge.

What's bad or not competitive in ranked play? Virtually everything not already mentioned. Well, I have seen the mono-red straight burn deck do pretty well in the right match up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.