Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about the BoB Command Range system, when I realized there was a straightforward and (relatively) simple way to run multiplayer BoB games.

Here's my proposal:

SET-UP and PREPARATION

1. Find at least four people who know and enjoy the BoB system. Depending on the scenario, up to eight are supported. Pick a scenario with at least three squads, guns or vehicles per player (weapon teams can count as 1/2 squad for this purpose).

2. Divide the forces on each side (German or Allied) into logical groups of 3 to 6 squads (and attached support units) or 3 to 6 AFVs. (see examples in (3) and (4) below). To be historical, each platoon commander should control 3-4 squads plus attached WT assets, or 3 to 5 tanks.

3. Each player (except one) on each side is assigned one "group" of 3-6 squads/AFVs/guns. Refer to that group as a Platoon (or Zug, or combat team, or whatever you want to call a group lead by a single player). The remaining player is the "Company Commander". Alternatively, the company commander may be given a platoon as well (to be more historical, this "platoon" should consist of support assets such as WTs, tanks, or a small reserve of infantry squads).

EXAMPLE: Eight players. Scenario 2 is chosen. On the American side, two players get 3 full squads each, one HMG WT, one mortar WT and one Bazooka team. (one of the two players gets the extra bazooka team). The third player on the American side gets the 7 tanks. The fourth player is the Company Commander. Alternatively, the Company commander could control 3 or 4 of the tanks)

On the German side, three players each get 3 first line squads, 2 second line squads and a couple of WTs. One of the players (perhaps with less WTs) gets the extra second line squad. The fourth German side player is the Company Commander, who could alternatively control some portion of the squads allocated as a "company reserve" and the StuGs.

After assigning commands, the Company Commander should develop and communicate a brief battle plan (attacking or defending) to his Platoon Commanders, ideally out of earshot of the opposing team. Players can decide mutually on a reasonable amount of pre-game planning time. Plans may involve simple maps, if desired, but don't get carried away, folks! If it ever matters, the defending side may spend time to plan first. Both sides should have equal time to plan, unless something is decided otherwise by mutual agreement.

GAME PLAY

4. Play proceeds normally as on a standard turn, except that at the beginning of each Operations Range, the "Company Commander" assigns a set number of activations of the operations range to each "platoon". The division of activations must be declared before any actions are undertaken, but the order of platoon activition may be decided upon as the turn progresses. Once it begins to use activations, however, a platoon must finish using all its activations (or hesitate - see (5) below). The Company Commander's decisions are final and cannot be negotiated.

EXAMPLE: Richard, Norman, Bill and Harry are on the American side. There are 8 squads and 4 WTs. Norman and Bill and Harry are assigned 3 squads and 1 WT each (1st and 2nd Platoon, respectively) and Harry is given the remaining 2 squads and 2 WTs in 3rd Platoon. The command range is 2-5. Richard is nominated as the Company Commander for the American side.

On the first turn, Richard wants 1st and 2nd platoon to advance strongly, with 3rd platoon as a reserve. He assigns 1st and 2nd platoon two activations, and 3rd platoon one activation. He tells 2nd platoon to start. 2nd platoon uses two activations. Seeing the results of 2nd platoon's efforts, Richard decides it would be better for 3rd platoon to have an activation and lets 3rd platoon act next with its one activation. He could not let 2nd platoon have an action, then 3rd platoon, then go back to 2nd platoon again.

The intent behind this rule is to allow the Company Commander to shape the direction and tempo of an assault, but not to micromanage it. Once the activations are in a platoon commander's hands, he/she must follow through.

COMMAND & CONTROL DECISIONS

5. Any player on the active side may, before the start of a new action by another platoon commander, use one CP from the pool to make an "out of turn" activation. This is called "individual initiative". Individual initiative uses up one activation in the command range (as well as the CP) and the company commander must decide which of the remaining platoons which have not yet acted will lose an activation as a result. If two or more platoon commanders wish to use a CP at the same time for this purpose, all commanders involved roll a die and the highest roll gets the CP. If the rolls are tied, no one gets the CP and the CP is lost. After the individual initiative action is taken, play continues normally. An individual platoon commander may not use individual initiative more than once a turn. Individual initiative can help or hinder a commander's plans, and should not be undertaken without forethought.

EXAMPLE: Bill has been given no activations by Richard this turn, but Bill sees an opportunity for one of his bazooka WTs to get a critical flanking shot on a Panther. He announces that he's using individual initiative, uses up a CP from the pool and activates the WT. Fortunately, the proficiency check is successful and the shot brews up the Panther. He might have gotten some really nasty looks from Norman and Harry otherwise.

Platoon commanders may also elect not to use an assigned activation (usually in order to preserve units' "unused" status). This is known as "hesitation". The company commander does not regained the unused activation and it is merely lost.

Platoon commanders may NOT hesitate if it would otherwise violate the minimum number of activations that must be conducting during the current Operations range.

COMMUNICATIONS

6. Platoon commanders on the same side may not communicate directly with one another or with the company commander except for the company commander assigning activations and indicating order of play at the beginning of the turn. Verbal or written communication is forbidden at all other times. Exceptions: 1) if squads from different platoons are adjacent or in the same hex, the players controlling those squads may communicate verbally. 2) At the beginning of each turn, the Company commander may speak with the platoon commanders and the platoon commanders may speak with the company commander. This represents runners carrying orders back and forth between the platoon and company HQ as well as hurried radio communications. Platoon commanders may NOT speak with other platoon commanders during this step, unless some of their squads are adjacent as indicated above. 3) players may send "runners" to any other player on the same side regardless of distance by writing a message no more than ten words long on paper. The message is folded in half, then placed in front of the (sending) player. The NEXT time the player has activations (or in the case of the company commander sending a runner, the next time a player activates units) the message may be handed to the recipient. Players may only have one "runner" message in front of them at any time.

The superior radio communications of the American forces is already abstractly incorporated by giving the American side more activations in the Command Range.

USING COMMAND POINTS (CPs) AND ARTILLERY

7. Any platoon commander may use a CP at any legal time, but the Company Commander may veto (disallow without argument) the CP usage at the moment it is announced. Once a CP usage is vetoed, that platoon commander may not use a CP for any purpose for the rest of his/her available activations that turn. (The platoon commanders should think hard about when to use CPs, but the company commander should not veto arbitrarily either, as it limits the acting commander's later actions in that turn). Company commanders may not "veto" a CP used for individual initiative.

Platoon Commanders may request artillery (using allocated activations) during their "turn", but the Company Commander must approve artillery requests. If artillery is denied by the Company Commander, the fire mission may not proceed, but the Platoon Commander may use the three activations for something else instead. In scenarios where artillery is available, it is assumed that Platoon Commanders have radiomen/signallers and may explain the intended target and type of artillery needed before the Company Commander decides to approve or deny.

EXAMPLES OF SET-UPs FOR MULTIPLE PLAYERS

Charlescab had asked me how it would work for various numbers of players. Here's my thoughts on possible set-ups.

2 players - Not applicable.

3 players - (workable but likely not very enjoyable) - player 1 (P1) controls all of one side and P2 and P3 control half each of the other side, with P2 being the company commander. Alternatively, P2 is the company commander only and P3 plays all forces split into appropriately platoon-sized units, which are assigned activations separately by P2.

4 players - P1 and P2 play half each of one side, with P1 being a company commander, and P3 and P4 play half each of the opposing side, with P3 being the other company commander. Alternatively, P1 is the company commander only and P2 plays all forces split into appropriately platoon-sized units, which are assigned activations separately by P1, with a similar set-up for P3 and P4.

5 players - P1 and P2 play half each of one side, with P1 being a company commander. Alternatively, P1 is the company commander only and P2 plays all forces split into appropriately platoon-sized units, which are assigned activations separately. P3, P4 and P5 each control one third (approximately) of the opposing side with P3 being the company commander and mostly controlling "support" or armour assets.

6 players - P1, P2 and P3 each control one third (approximately) of the one side with P1 being the company commander and mostly controlling "support" or armour assets. P4, P5 and P6 each control one third (approximately) of the opposing side with P4 being the company commander and mostly controlling "support" or armour assets.

7 players - P2, P3 and P4 each control one third (approximately) of one side with P1 being the company commander controlling a very small force of "support" or armour assets (or none at all). P5, P6 and P7 each control one third (approximately) of the opposing side with P5 being the company commander and mostly controlling "support" or armour assets.

8 players - P2, P3 and P4 each control one third (approximately) of one side with P1 being the company commander controlling a very small force of "support" or armour assets (or none at all). P6, P7 and P8 each control one third (approximately) of the opposing side with P5 being the company commander controlling a very small force of "support" or armour assets (or none at all).

I think that for best gaming enjoyment, five or more players would be required. Three or four players could work in a pinch, but I don't think it would achieve the same intent and feel.

I know, it's hard enough to get two people to play this game, much less six... but wouldn't it be grand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to do this on vassal I am interested in trying it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I could be talked into it as well, depending on the time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats 3 East Coasters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be in as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I will throw a time out of 9pm EST on Monday night..
Takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Ok I will throw a time out of 9pm EST on Monday night..
Takers?

I can probably fit that in, pending confirmation with another person I was planning something with. I will check and post back here.

[edit - I'm keeping Monday open for this, pending confirmation by at least four players]

I'm willing to play anything from platoon commander to company commander, even as a Coy CO with no units. I'm just curious how this works out for multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool stuff!

Post an AAR of your game with screens if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck I might even record it! haha

(Some other recordings Ive done)
http://www.youtube.com/user/charlescab82/videos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds super cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping that time open. My better half reminds me that I am actually out Monday night at my son's fencing club until 9:30 or so, so Monday is currently out for me. Apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to be the possible stick in the mud but early-mid week isn't good for me. A Thurs-Fri time frame would be better. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up for it...Monday pm works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a motion on the floor to move it to Tuesdaay at 9pm...
At the moment we will not cancel Monday's meeting until we get an idea of who can and cant make Monday
Please vote..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Multiplayer Band of Brothers
What days are best for you
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Monday at 9pm EST
50.0% 2
Tuesday at 9pm EST
75.0% 3
Wednesday at 9pm EST
25.0% 1
Thursday at 9pm EST
50.0% 2
Friday at 9pm EST
50.0% 2
Saturday morning at 9am EST
25.0% 1
Voters 4
This poll is now closed.   4 answers
Poll created by charlescab
Closes: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Poll: Multiplayer Band of Brothers
What days are best for you
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Monday at 9pm EST
50.0% 2
Tuesday at 9pm EST
75.0% 3
Wednesday at 9pm EST
25.0% 1
Thursday at 9pm EST
50.0% 2
Friday at 9pm EST
50.0% 2
Saturday morning at 9am EST
25.0% 1
Voters 4
This poll is now closed.   4 answers
Poll created by charlescab
Closes: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:00 am

I can do either Monday, Tuesday or Friday next week, but I would prefer not to do Monday if possible. If it's still the best day for the majority of people, that's still workable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm occasionally editing or adding to the initial post above as I think of additional situations that would have to be covered (like who decides about artillery missions be used).

I've also added suggested force allocations and command structures for various numbers of players from 3 to 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday 9PM for me works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets go ahead and move it to Tuesday night since that seems easiest for the host. We have 3 players and thats almost enough to play. We can take 3 or 4 more players if I understand correctly.

Does everyone use ventrillo? I think that would be best since we are playing with so many people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Lets go ahead and move it to Tuesday night since that seems easiest for the host. We have 3 players and thats almost enough to play. We can take 3 or 4 more players if I understand correctly.

Does everyone use ventrillo? I think that would be best since we are playing with so many people

I can use Ventrillo.

Five or more players would be best. Three or four would work in a pinch but would not be optimal.

Eight would be the max, but I think we should probably stick to 5-7 the first time out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well..tuesday is my regular game group so I'm out. Would still be interested if this moves to any night besides Tuesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still on? (Ventrilo for me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Tuesday at 9pm EST
still looking for more players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Yes Tuesday at 9pm EST
still looking for more players

We need a minimum of five players, I think, to have a worthwhile multiplayer experience.

I think we're at three at the moment.

Any one else want to jump in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets just do it and go forward.... if no one shows up we will break off into groups or we can just discuss game strategy or whatever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.