Popular Tags: [View All]
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s game night and the time has come for choosing games. What looks good? When picking games you have to consider not only how fun it will be, but also how long. From a practical standpoint, there are only so many hours set aside for gaming. Committing to five hours of Dominant Species may mean it’s the only game you play that night. The alternative may be a series of 60- or 90-minute games, which provides much more variety. So what to choose?

For me, I typically fall into the more is better category. On any given game night, I like the variety. I want to hop from a dice game, to worker placement, to a deck builder. Getting a lot of different experiences makes game night more fun.

But then the itch begins. Gee, I haven’t played Dominant Species or Through the Ages or Battlestar in a while. Slowly over a few weeks, I develop the need to play a longer game; I want to really delve into something that evolves over the course of several hours. I want to enact a strategy and see it come to fruition as I maneuver around the attacks of my opponents. So I set aside a game night for a longer, deeper game. And the cycle repeats.

While I’m usually on the side of more, shorter games, I can easily flip over and feel the desire for a long game creep up on me.

What about you? Would you rather play fewer longer games or more short ones?

(Originally posted on the Giant Fire Breathing Robot)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fewer, Longer.

When I do play shorter games, it's usually for many plays in a row, so it might as well be a longer game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
When I have time set aside for gaming, I'm looking to play a longer game. Shorter games are great for playing on a weekday evening or in the time left after a longer game, but if I spend a long game session playing what I consider "filler" games (under 2 hours), I don't feel I've used my time well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't enjoy longer (over 2 hours) games. So my goal at a gaming event is to play as many great 60-90 minutes games as possible.

Two of my pet peeves are:

1. Standing around for 45 minutes debating what to play.

2. Trying to accommodate people who show up 15, 30, 45, etc. minutes late (when there is a specified start time and there are enough of us to get something started on time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually work the other way around - I always want to play the longer, more involved game, but occassionally build up the desire for more, and shorter, games.

The bigger question for me, though, is new vs known. I love learning new games, but it's always a great feeling to put a game on the table, everybody knows how to play, and the game just gets going and is played well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the "allocate time to play board games but play addicting games where everyone has so much fun that they forget about the time" strategy.

I especially fall victim to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean. I still haven't played a full game of Eclipse, Battlestar Galactica or Agricola. What I'm doing now is bringing one of these (currently Agricola) to every gaming night I organize. Last time there were all new ones so I didn't want to scare them away already. But one of these days the opportunity will present itself.

I like playing shorter games. I always have fun at our gaming nights but I also want to play these longer games on occasion. What I often do is start with some really short game (Resistance, Liar's Dice, Pickomino ...) in case some folks come in late. Since we started doing 4 hours this year that still leaves enough time for pretty much any game in our collection. We then usually play a couple of medium games. If people get tired I sometimes squeeze in another short game to wrap up the evening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.