Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe I was missing something somwhere somewhen, but IMO so far, the RSP forum (Relixion, Sex, Politics for people rather new to the geek) is the correct space to discuss Obama, terrorism, political extremism, Atheism vs. presence of God, ugly / beautiful boobs of somebody or whatever matters out there. Or doesn`t matter. OUT there, NOT in games. So gamers can discuss games and things that matter in the boardgame world not being disturbed by OFF TOPIC threads about rather controversary themes.

In my opinion, a discussion about a given game, whether a theme is translated well in it, or if some historical atrocities have been inadequately ignored and a discussion how people think about that, is not RSP, but perfectly valid in the very game`s forum.

But this thread here was locked after a day and about 20 posts:
Very disturbed by the theme

What do you think about that? What did I miss? Why lock a thread like that? Matthew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right about the RSP forums by and large. However, I think Octavian made the right move for three reasons:

1. The OP didn't leave a lot of room for argument. This wasn't really a discussion about the game, but a rant. That said, there were soome very intelligent and measured responses. However, starting off on the wrong foot is never a good siggn.

2. Anyway, there is already a perfectly good thread on this very issue. I don't see any reason to start a new thread on the topic.

3. Locking the tread here does preserve the conversation without hiding it away in some hidden corner (like RSP). And again, if you want to continue the discussion, you can go to the other thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Compaints

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjro summarized my reasons quite well. The topic of the thread was not the game, but larger issues more appropriate for RSP. Though the game is an example of the issue being raised, that doesn't mean the game forums are the appropriate place for that discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, now I understand better.
I do not understand, why this very thread is now in the Complaint Department - where you only find it, when looking for it. The information about how to treat issues like that is rather informative and would avoid future misunderstandings, so I think, "How to BGG?" was perfect.

- sigh - I will never understand, what is what here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I HATE and love the RSP policy.

On the one hand we are political animals(sic) and removing nuance from communication is devastating, undemocratic and against pretty much every value I hold dear. Further, not exploring certain issues or challenging others views in an organic and situated way can allow, support or facilitate folk in holding heinous or ignorant views.

Yet BGG is a lovely place with a good community, where a fairly critical and open but disparate audience comes together and enjoys each AND other's company. I suspect a great many friends would be lost and friendships never made, if we began to talk about politics in the open. Anyone on my right would be a fascist and on my left would be a fool - not really but maybe.

Having a separate space to give folk the option of opting out of divisive topics while still giving others the right to put forward radical views is a good system. The stage is set but the staging seems to hint that these conflict are separate and not to be taken too gravely.

It's a crappy solution that's at the heart of a cohesive and lovely community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.