Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Nielsen
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having received the game for Christmas, I was anxious to get in a play with my brother, who is my "go to" for lengthier games. I studied the rules and we decided to play on New Years Eve.

I was a little worried that the game would not live up to expectations and was extremely pleased as the game progressed. My brother and I were loving it.

My wife called to ask how much longer I would be when we were about 2/3rds the way through. The game ended when both of us hit the final spot on the story path. It went to a showdown with the ringwraiths who won with one life left.

I packed up the game and began my 25 minute drive home. I found myself going through the different decisions I made playing Sauron during the drive. I thought about what I could do differently and was trying to figure out when I could get this game out for another play.

Suddenly I realized that I had completely overshot my exit on the freeway and was a good five minutes past where I was supposed to turn off. I called my wife to let her know I would be another ten minutes or so and when I explained why, I could almost feel her rolling her eyes.

I spoke with my brother a few days later and the first thing both of us said was "When are we going to play another game."

I love it when a game haunts me like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am finally getting to play this excellent game (other than solo pushing cardboard) by pbem using vassal.

MEQ is soooooo much better than War of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I am finally getting to play this excellent game (other than solo pushing cardboard) by pbem using vassal.

Normally I wouldn't input, but the need to (having fun about it of course) input on the above comment is irresistable for me.

No Game is better then War of the Ring.

MEQ is good...but even it can't beat out the best game of all time.

Thanks.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

I feel just the opposite. If anybody is looking for a copy of MEQ, I'd be happy to trade mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Normally I wouldn't input, but the need to (having fun about it of course) input on the above comment is irresistable for me.

Thanks.devil

I could name at least a hundred off the top of my head... and Paths of Glory is the best game of all time

War of the ring is long since traded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo Phil, WotR got barely 21 plays in 3+ years owning it before I finally sold it off, MEQ got 60 plays in barely a year, MEQ is a keeper, WotR was just too linear for me in the end (partially because it sticks to the books).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy MEQ. It has such a unique system and I enjoy the theme. I am a big fan of hub and spoke maps (I like hexes too but I hate stacking).

I love bucket of dice games but I never miss them in this game. The combat/deck/movement system is just excellent and easy to learn. I could see that game expanded to other systems.

The plot system makes it feel like I am playing a novel. The heroes can't die aspect is well handled.

The final combat rule I have learned to love. It keeps both players in the game all the way to the end. Sure his mission card might give him the game but maybe not. Drop a solid training card on the Nazgul and the game is yours.

It makes a great PBEM game if you are so inclined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work. I'd like to see a geeklist of games where people discuss how they pondered their decisions after a game they played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My combat card play haunts me the most. I look back after the combat and wonder what I was thinking 1/2 the time. I've done the miss the exit thing too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
MEQ and WOTR are both great games in their own right, though I would definitely give the edge to WOTR. MEQ gave me that same kind of amazing first impression, but hasn't held up quite as well after several plays. Still great, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
MEQ and WOTR are both great games in their own right, though I would definitely give the edge to WOTR. MEQ gave me that same kind of amazing first impression, but hasn't held up quite as well after several plays. Still great, though.

WOTR is too linear to be 'great' whereas MEQ is very replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played MEQ three times, once as Sauron and twice as the heroes and I really like it. The different encounters, missions and random enemies make it a game that changes all the time. It is quite clunky and there is a lot of downtime but I think you need to make your own fun in between turns (whilst keeping within the theme of course) you can get a lot more out of it. The combat is fantastic, really tense and everything looks fantastic. It is quite complicated though, not the kind of game you can just whip out and blam! everyone is playing.

War of the Ring though...yeah it is really highly ranked and I can see what people like it. I have only played once, as the good guys. When I got Frodo to the Cracks of Mount Doom and I was just pulling Corruption Tiles in order to win. It felt like all my tactics and idea of how I wanted to win went out the window, just randomly selecting tiles. I did get all my helpful items in there, but once I was there I didn't pull a single one. Bit of an anti-climax.

However, its horses for course. Both games have their merits and I personally think it is cracking that there are two awesome Lord of the Rings games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey twohig
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
interested in a trade..what are you looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
GreyLord wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Thanks.devil

I could name at least a hundred off the top of my head... and Paths of Glory Twilight Imperium 3 is the best game of all time

War of the ring is long since traded.

There... made the correction for you. No need to thank me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.