Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired a copy of Key Harvest. I was going through the instructions last night, and found myself completely confused. Is there anybody out there that could help me out with an easy version of the instructions? Kind of like Key Harvest for Dummies!! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered this as a cheapee off of Amazon, Hoping for it to arrive tomorrow. I hope I can decipher the rules myself and pass on any insights.

Not sure if http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/4jevt0sr1x/Key_Ha... is helpful, but might be worth a look if you havent already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seem like you are I are in the same boat. I could not pass up 15 dollars for a game of this size! I read the reviews first, and thought it would be a good buy, but I am just having trouble deciphering the game play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the quick starts rules first in the orangeish boxes, these will get you 95% of the way there with clarity.

You might have to reference the finer rules for 1-2 things.

However, keep the back pages open that explain what each "special' tile does. I found it very helpful to reference those my first play.

The straight rules are really overworded and can be marginally confusing at moments, but the quick start rules were awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give this a try tonight! Although tonight I will be teaching my wife and friends how to play stone age. Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
brdk18 wrote:
I recently acquired a copy of Key Harvest. I was going through the instructions last night, and found myself completely confused. Is there anybody out there that could help me out with an easy version of the instructions? Kind of like Key Harvest for Dummies!! Thanks!

It's been a while, but let me see....

The problem with Richard's games is that they are much easier than the rules imply. Once you see it played, it is very easy to understand but the rules may still cause you to scratch your head.

The object of the game is to score the most points. You only score at the end of the game so you need to build towards this during the game. You will score for your workers in the field, the size of your fields, and the amount of crops you have.

The general concept: So all the players live in one town. The town is divided up into hexagonal plots. If you have a tile, you own that piece of land. So while everyone has their own board, imagine them all superimposed over one another to make up the patchwork of a town. You are going to buy these plots and work them for the crops. As you place these plots, they will form fields. The concept of a field is important as some workers are keyed off of them and your two largest fields score you points at the end.

Everyone sets up by taking their board, their store, two of the "keyed" pairs of hexes to start their two fields, all the workers in their color and some crops to get starters. Crops will be your currency in the game.

Game goes in turns. Each player can do TWO of the four possible actions. Each action can only be performed once. They can be performed in any order with one exception.

To get you started, the more common action to start will actually be Action D. This is where you take one of the available plots from the registry and place it in your store. By placing a tile here, you are placing a BID on the plot. You indicate this by establishing a price for this. Select some of your crops to indicate the price. Why do you do this? Because A) you want it or B) you know someone else wants it.

If you want it, you must wait until your turn comes up again (effectively giving everyone a chance to purchase it). If no one takes it, you discard your BID and then place the tile in the matching space on your board. So you want to either bid high enough to scare others away, or bid crops that they do not so they cannot buy it away from you.

If you want to entice others to buy it, you BID cheaply or with crops that others have. If they want it, they can take Action C during their turn to buy it from you. They must match the BID that you placed on the tile. So not only do you get your BID back, you get a matching payment from another player and they take the tile.

You have to be careful not to BID too high if you want to entice others, because they may not buy it from you and then your store gets clogged. you only have 2 spaces open so if you want to put something else in your store when it is full, you have to discard your bid to place the tile and free the space up.

So that is Actions C and D. When you take either action, you can actually do that action twice - either placing 1 or 2 tiles in your store or buying 1 or 2 tiles from a store. This is also the only restriction. If you do Action D this round, you cannot then do Action C right after it (as I said above, once it is placed in your store, everyone else gets one shot at it).

When you take Action C and place tile(s) on your board, you place it with the large crop symbol face up. This means the tile can be harvested.

Under Action A, you can harvest these tiles and collect the corresponding crop. You also flip the tile over to the smaller side to indicate it has been harvested. So what can you harvest? The WHOLE FIELD. AS I said above, the field is important and is any group of contiguous tiles. So you want to wait until your field is large to make this a more attractive option. One action can harvest many tiles so wait as long as you can to do this. But you need the crops to pay for more tiles so you need to harvest as soon as possible too!

The problem with harvesting is that it wipes out a field and it doesn't come back automatically. So you need your workers to go work the fields, Action B. When you place a worker, he must be adjacent to as many tiles as the number printed on him. So to get the better workers, you need more tiles down. Also, placing and removing are two separate actions. So it can eat up a lot of time to do this. However, you can place a worker that is larger than a smaller one and force him out, effectively doing two actions in one. You also have the option to place the "general" workers from the registry as well.

That is the gist to get you started. take your two actions. Then the next player and so on. There are some other things going on like events that can get revealed when filling up the registry.

Hopefully this gets you started in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help. That clears up a bit. Now with all that in mind, I will go back through and read the book again. One or two plays and I should be good to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those were really helpful simplified instructions! I think we played this right our first now after all when I did the same Amazon deal.

My wife is not convinced about this game yet. She actually nodded off during the game...lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saltis wrote:
I ordered this as a cheapee off of Amazon, Hoping for it to arrive tomorrow. I hope I can decipher the rules myself and pass on any insights.

Not sure if http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/4jevt0sr1x/Key_Ha... is helpful, but might be worth a look if you havent already.

Hey Chris Lake- How did it go for you interpreting the rules? I am starting to make more sense of it, especially after staring at the gameboard, and re-reading the rules again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this last week, and I agree that the rules are a bit tough to slog through. Brian made a great starting summary, and I'll chip in with just a few comments that you may have already cleared up with the rulebook.

If you want to discard your bid and take a field tile from your own store, you would have to take Action C on your own turn. It does not happen automatically.

Note that if you place a field tile on your board where there's already a worker, you get to pick up that worker and play it down again right away, kind of like a free action. I recommend doing this as much as possible.

A worker tile may not be placed right next to another worker tile.

An unconnected tile is a field tile that is not adjacent to another field tile. Workers do not connect field tiles into a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny Collins
United States
California
flag msg tools
I just played a 4 player game and found that, after reading through the main rules, that the quick rules on the side enabled me to explain the game enough for us to get started. The quick rules also worked as a guide to wwhere to read as questions came up. By the end of the 2nd round we were all getting the hang of the game and all enjoyed it alot. I got it at a 70% off sale so feel it was a great buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh O'Bryan
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo has a great video on the game. Once you watch it, the rules are much more comprehendable. I had the same initial impression as you with the rules. The game is amazingly simple but the rules are very wordy for what they're trying to accomplish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.