Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Is there ever a time when you might be able to float a company but should choose to delay it in order to affect other elements of the game?

Or should you always open a company as quickly as possible?

What would be some circumstances when you should delay? and what would be your goal in delaying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CrankyPants wrote:
Is there ever a time when you might be able to float a company but should choose to delay it in order to affect other elements of the game?

Yes. It is a fairly common tactic.

Quote:

No. The choice of when and how to open a company is significant and not an automatic.

Quote:
What would be some circumstances when you should delay? and what would be your goal in delaying?

The biggie is to first secure the desired presidency. After that there can be opportunities to manipulate the market, operating order, buy good shares etc -- putting their capital to work for them before committing it to the new company -- only finally floating the company later in the SR as convenient or when pushed/attacked.

Additionally a player may secure a presidency without floating the company. This is a fairly common mid-to-late game tactic. It is usually done when they could float it now if pushed/attacked, but would prefer to wait until the next SR (usually because they would have to sell more than they'd like to float it, or because they're waiting for more non-permanent trains to be bought). By securing the presidency the player need not care about the location of Priority in the next SR and can often gain a positional advantage despite having two shares of capital locked up in a non-producing company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

I think the most common delay I've see is with the B&O.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
The owner of the B&O private gets $30/OR until the B&O buys a train, and has specific motivation to wait.

Later in the game a possible tactic would be to camp on a presidency and spend the rest of your money buying paying shares, while building routes towards the new company to help make it profitable quickly. This is especially useful if you also want to slow down the rate at which trains rust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent PBEM game, I threatened to sit on the Erie presidency, causing the trains to slow more than they already were, since I was making the most/OR, and would be for a while if nothing else in the game changed. Another player took the cue and started threatening until it floated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.