Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put up a sample card for my game Empire of the Dinosaurs. This a prototype of the artwork, layout, and design.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1203136/empire-of-the-din...

I curious for any feedback. What do you think? I've tried to squeeze in as much info as I could on a standard sized card with a 1/8 inch border.

(This went through many iterations.)

If you don't mind, post any replies or questions to the image page, I'll probably respond there.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter horog
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice simple and simple design, but the lower half of the card is a bit stiff: some shaking up won't hurt it. I don't like the orientation of the "herbivore" line - the plant sign gives enough information related to this attribute. If I were you, I wouldn't mix drawn art with photos in a game.
If we assume that when we play a game with dinosaurs, then they are alive, so its a bit strange to refer to them as fossils - but others might not think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The green stripe down the left side is for Herbivores. The Predators have red one, and action cards have a yellow/orange-ish one. The "Fern" plant symbol on the right has a special meaning. Diffrent dinosurs have different symbols on the area on the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The information is pretty clear, which is a great start. There are a lot of decisions to be made in the details... some are more important than others, but here are a few to consider:

The dinosaur overlapping the bottom information helps create an artificial depth, but it looks kind of awkward to me (the horn coming in front of the top bar is good; keep that aspect). Your current layout, though, seriously makes me wonder how any type of tall/vertical dinosaur is going to fit on the card without looking tiny. While I don't mind flavor text, when appropriate, you may need to scrap it to help your dinos fit well (or just for the sake of a simpler looking card).

The san-serif type just doesn't feel right, given the ancient time period — go with a nice serif.

There are also several "styles" of type that should probably be simplified... vertical lettering, white with black stroke, black with white stroke, gradient, colored, all caps, etc. I second the "herbivore" comment; if it is vital information, place it horizontally. The gradient does not seem necessary. Those are the biggies...

Lastly, more earthly, slightly muted colors for those corner circles/numbers and text/fossil circles seems more appropriate considering the theme and color palette. If you want to use a brighter color to highlight, perhaps only use it as a light, small glow instead of using a stroke.

Illustration is really nice, the textures are good, overall layout seems to be working.

Best to you.

Card image added for convenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Waibel
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lesson I learned the hard way: Give yourself ample bleed room.

I.e., you have a lot of critical info right along the edge of your card (Herbivore, © notice, icons). Much of that will end up being cut off your card when they are printed.

For example, for a typical 2.5"x3.5" card, the actual digital card size will be 2.625" by 3.625" to account for bleed. So a good rule of thumb is to not have anything within 1/4" of the edge that has to be on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the good suggestions!

Spindrift, you're right a nice serf font looks way better. I've actually tried many many many different layouts and orientations. I knew from the start that the card art had to be mostly horizontal, so that is how I painted most of them. For example, most predators are depicted running, or a at least with the tail extended behind. But there are several that overlap quite a bit at the bottom. I really don't know how to get around that.

It's true that if I dump the science facts at the bottom that there is a lot more room, but I just can't bring myself to do it. When the word "educational" and "game" go together it usually means a horrible boring game. But in this case, I'm depicting a lot of dinosaurs that the general public has never heard of. I think I need to say something about each one, or try to draw attention to some unique features of each animal.

As to the green "Herbivore" bar along the left. If you notice the strip on the right, it holds different icons, the strength value, and up to 5 "fossil bones" which are used for scoring. In some cases that space is completely filled vertically. If I orient the green bar horizontally, say at the top of the gray box, the I don't think I would want dinosaurs legs and feet overlapping over it. But man! That really limits the window available for the art. I can't bring it down much because the icons need the room.

I could just get rid of the stripes, but the predator/herbivore layouts are identical with only some textural differences. So I need something to at a glance point out which is which. They play to different areas and are used differently in the game. And I don't want to add yet another symbol.

Some of the bright color schemes are deliberate simply for game play sake. There are 5 different colored round symbols that are used in the game. They have a bright color and a different dinosaur skull to tell them apart easily. The Strength value in blue on the lower right is the same color as the word "strength" as it appears on all game text. The word "Strength, and the word "Vitality" are used in different ways. Players need to see quickly which dinosaurs have game text that applies to those two aspects without rereading every piece of game text over and over. So I chose the same color and value simply to strengthen the association.

But of course it's not too late to change stuff and I'm sure I'll keep messing around with the layout more and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is educational: Alter the game to be "Pokemon" Simple.

If it is this many Game feature then dump the edu note.

what is the top 4 and what is the bottom 4?
lets list your goodies:

top egg number
green skull
bullion Green type
Offence type 1 or Offence type 2
Octagon Fern icon
3 Bones
Defense type 1
bottom blue number

9, NINE card game elements.

your goal should be less text, use a llustration, icons and numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.