Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just posted the first view of a card for the game I've been working on called "Empire of the Dinosaurs."

Check it out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1203136/empire-of-the-din...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, keep up the good work! My interest has been piqued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Looks cool man, I think we need more dinosaur based board games

I like the scientific approach you have taken on this one too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I actually wrote about the approach I'm taking in one of my blog entries. I don't want this to be about substituting 'dinosaurs' for just any other direct conflict game and have it come down to nothing more than a street fight between monsters.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/2017/part-4-dinosaurs-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hereward
msg tools
I appreciate you wish to keep the game authentic, but is there no room for speculation? Dino' finds are but the tip of the iceberg.

There is scope for sensible imagination in creating your own dino's.

One of mine is simply the fact that humans have been around for just a few million years and look how smart and intelligent we are??
If dino's dominated our planet for, what was it, a couple of hundred million years, is it not possible that some types developed intelligence?

And to what degree?
Did some cross the meteor barrier?

Your game looks good but there might be room for a little imagination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagination is one of the things that attracts me to paleo-art. We only have limited knowledge of dinosaurs, bones, tracks, etc... Soft tissues are extremely rarely preserved. So using imagination is to some degree necessary in order to depict them. However that doesn't mean we know NOTHING about them and we should have a free license to make stuff up either.

What if I did a game about going on an African safari, but along with elephants, lions, and zebras, I made up a few animals as well? (Like a lion-o-phant?) Sure you could pull it off if the setting was some sort of alternate reality fantasy world. But you couldn't do that in a realistic setting. (It would leave people scratching their heads wondering what you were smoking when you designed this thing.)

Here is an excellent blog on this very subject, which includes a discussion about animal behavior.

http://svpow.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/accurate-vs-familiar-v...

For example, I've been asked several times about certain animals on the TV show 'Terra Nova' that the producers simply made up. They never existed. And for some reason it's hard to explain to people that just because they saw it on TV it wasn't real. (But before I question what the show's producers were smoking, I remember that it's supposed to be some sort of alternate reality fantasy world.)
Plus to be honest, I think dinosaurs were wonderful and bizarre creatures on their own. Why do I need to make any up? They're so strange to begin with. I've only scratched the surface of the dinosaurs available to depict. When I get the itch to make up imagined creatures, I'll move on to that sci-fi game I have kicking around in my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hereward
msg tools
Of course you know where your going with your game I never suggested you should, "make 'em up". the Blog is spot on.

Naturally any deviation from the generally excepted format of Dino's would be a challenge to include in a game like yours.

But does the educational side of your game have to conform to excepted views?
Their behavior patterns, is only one speculation.
Others include for example;
What a T'rex used it's fore arms for?
Did a diplodocus really support that neck and tail out of water?
And other big Dino's.. To-day they would not be able to stand up in our gravity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Aaron,

I really like what you have going on here. Just a quick note on the artwork itself ( actually the Dino's) You could probably push the forms a bit more as currently they are feeling a touch flat. If you work thier under bellies a bit more you can push for a bit more depth and separate the hind legs.

Try adding a 20% grey layer on multiply in photoshop on the left side legs or something to help break up the flatness. Its more apparent in your other dino as you have one leg over the other. Other than that I really like what you have going on.

Keep up the good work!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.