Subject: How long have you been playing Arkham Horror? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I wanted to start a thread to find out how long everyone has been playing Arkham Horror and their general group size (when playing).

Personally, I've been playing AH since 2009. Some of the best games were with only two players. I prefer smaller groups.

I recently played AH with a group of six players and almost fell asleep during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cinotti
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to say we've been playing since 2007, with a group of usually about six players...and you are right, it drags. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but when we plan a day of gaming and it is Arkham Horror on the table, it is generally understood that is the only game we're going to play.

On rare occasions, I'll play it solo with four investigators. We played an eight-player game once and I would rather sing Cthulhu a lullaby than do that ever again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing since 2007 I think. It started solo and with just one friend. Slowly more and more people became acquainted with Arkham Horror, and since 2009 we've been playing monthly until last summer (I moved to Slovenia). When we played I usually invited 5 - 7 people, and the plan was to play through the night. If the game was finished before midnight we did another one! But I also played 2p games occasionally, when I couldn't find enough people but still wanted to play.

Those were good evenings, with good food, nice friends, playing and being relaxed. I miss them a bit, here in Slovenia I can't find people to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Since 1987.

Of course you mean the FF version, in which case I've been playing since early 2008.

Yeah, to use a culinary analogy, Arkham Horror is a main course that almost demands the diners skip any appetizers in order to leave room for it.

It gets better with experience and time, but even after a couple years of play and experience, there's only so much you can do to speed the game up. To a certain extent, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Edit: I'd also add that Arkham Horror is very much an "experience" type of game. Anyone unfamiliar with the Mythos or anyone that doesn't like it, isn't likely to enjoy themselves as much.

When my group or family plays it, we add that little touch of role-playing to the game, going so far as to try to act as we think our characters would, even if we as players can see how futile it is.

What you get out of the game is proportional to what you put into it. You can't just set the game up, sit back, and command the game "Entertain Me." This is even more important in bigger games where there could be downtime.

In our games, player characters in the same location have been known to converse with each other, perhaps sharing tales of their adventures, encounters, discoveries and clues through their respective players. This makes it more bearable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Labrecque
United States
Endwell
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror was the first board game I was really interested in. I got the original version around 1988 because my wife (my fiance at the time) and I were really into Call of Cthulhu RPG at the time. Back then, we played dozens of 2 player games: sometimes with 1, other times with 2 characters each.

We got the FFG version soon after it came out in 2006. Now-a-days, our average group is 4 players with our 2 oldest daughters playing. They've been playing since they were 10 and 12 and are avid players. Our 5 year old likes to role dice for us, but doesn't really play yet.

We've had groups as big as 6 or 7, but 4, even 5, players is much more common. We all know the game so well that play moves along quickly. Still, we've had some games running over several days, especially on family vacations where it is a staple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since 2009. Most games solo (controlling 3-4 investigators), and most of those using Vassal, but a lot of multiplayer games, too, with usually 4-5 players. Once with 7p and all expansions thrown in, at the FFG event center with Kevin Wilson watching and offering commentary. That was great, though we lost badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kirk
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing AH for a grand total of 11 days, in which I've played six live multiplayer games and 4 solo games on VASSAL. The multiplayer sessions have varied in size from 2 players to 7 - and the one with 7 was my first. I seem to prefer smaller groups too, if only because they're more manageable.

My pace will surely slow at some point but I'll play at least once a week for the foreseeable future since I made a deal with my wife, whose idea it was to buy AH, that I would only buy it if we scheduled a weekly night to play it. (Saturdays at 7pm!) We've already played once mid-week at her request, too, so I think we're on the way to making the game a household staple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was at Dundracon in February 2008 -- it was advertised as a big game with ALL the expansions. That meant Dark Pharoah, Dunwich AND King In Yellow. Eight players. It was awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also been playing the game since it came out.

I normally just play alot with the wife. We would both take 2 investigators random draw. Due to the size of my kitchen table we can only use one board expansion if any ,but we do use alot of the card expansions.

We will keep track of the score at the end and what investigators we used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since 2010. Not sure why I didn't get into this sooner, I now consider AH to be my "holy grail" game. I play mostly solo with 3-4 investigators but I've played a few multi-player games as well. I've always loved adventure games with a lot of theme and I'm a huge HPL fan so this game was perfect for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2008 or so. Right after I got into serious boardgaming. Arkham was my first heavy and I spent days learning all the rules intricacies.

My preferred number of players by far (as in I won't play with any other numbers anymore) is 3-4. I have all the expansions but I'll usually play base or base +1 since I'm always introducing new people to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
March 2011, when I picked it up at a booth at PAX East after being suggested both AH and Betrayal at House on the Hill. Shortly after that (roughly 2 weeks), I happened upon a comic/game store a few miles from me that was starting an AH league. We played it pretty consistently each week for 5-6 months. Then, we started putting other games into the mix.

At this point, it's been a couple months since we last played it. Nevertheless, I'm sure we'll return to it. But, for now, we're enjoying what else is out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Taylor
msg tools
First played it in 2007, did not play it nearly as much as I wanted since then. Finally bought it and almost all the expansions after getting a big freelance check from a monster book I worked on Been playing my way through the expansions since. Next big check I buy the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
About a year so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Elfving
Denmark
Randers C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Game:2010-03-26
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
June 11, 2008 - Jan 21, 2010 = 104 plays

Since then = 0 plays .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my wife and I have been playing for close to two years. We don't play as often as I'd like, but she loves the game so I've gradually added little things like investigator figures and special dice.

We used to play with just one investigator each, but that turned out to be difficult and rather boring, so we switched to two each. Recently a friend has expressed an interest in the game so we may go 2-2-1 for a game or two and see what happens.

Wait, what was the question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our first game in October of '09; I didn't start recording my plays until June of '10, though; I think my total plays should be around +20, or currently 75.

We almost always have four players for our main group, although I occasionally play two or three player games with a couple who live out of state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
October 2008 if I remember correctly. What a great night it was for our first play with AH! cool Playing with all masks monsters in the monster cup even though we weren't playing with Nyarla laugh and with Dunwich...

2-3 people in my group, always playing 6 investigators.

EDIT : playing with all expansions all the time. And a ton of house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've told this story a few times on this forum, but it bears retelling...

So, a friend of many years described in detail this board game in which you encountered monsters, traveled through portals, and cast spells and use weapons from little cards. Please bear in mind that my friend is a long-time RPGer like myself. I thought he had lost it...he went completely out of his mind, playing board games (now mind you, I do still love me some Monopoloy and chess, but they're really on a different plane).

Anyway, I'm visiting my brother in Philadelphia three years ago and spread out on his pool table is this vast map, tons of fiddly-bits, the card decks and the Investigators. It was truly love at first sight. Over the past 36 months, I've picked-up and played with every expansion, save Innsmouth Horror, though I've borrowed the Personal Stories.

I play mostly solo, 4-Investigator games, clocking almost 100 games, many of which appear on Tibs' sheet (see FFG's site). It's a remarkable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since 2010

My favorite games are 4-investigator games, so whether that's 1,2 or 4 people, we play with 4 investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
RexDart817 wrote:
I want to say we've been playing since 2007, with a group of usually about six players...and you are right, it drags. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but when we plan a day of gaming and it is Arkham Horror on the table, it is generally understood that is the only game we're going to play.

On rare occasions, I'll play it solo with four investigators. We played an eight-player game once and I would rather sing Cthulhu a lullaby than do that ever again!

I really enjoy Arkham Horror but the six player game I recently played in was just...wrong.

Excellent game, but I agree with large numbers of players it gets tiresome. I think its because people take so long with their turns.

I don't know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate you Arkham Horror, you drag your fat ass off the shelf about once a year. This is about the only game I enjoy playing solo though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PrimordialOne wrote:
RexDart817 wrote:
I want to say we've been playing since 2007, with a group of usually about six players...and you are right, it drags. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but when we plan a day of gaming and it is Arkham Horror on the table, it is generally understood that is the only game we're going to play. :D

I really enjoy Arkham Horror but the six player game I recently played in was just...wrong.

Excellent game, but I agree with large numbers of players it gets tiresome. I think its because people take so long with their turns.

I don't know...

It's also because the investigators are overpowered. 2-4 is the way to go imo. Speaking only about base and base+Dunwich here though. Things obviously get messy once you start layering expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
AstroLad wrote:
PrimordialOne wrote:
RexDart817 wrote:

I don't know...

It's also because the investigators are overpowered. 2-4 is the way to go imo. Speaking only about base and base+Dunwich here though. Things obviously get messy once you start layering expansions.

I have to admit that we were using two expansions during the six-player game.

The two expansions were Innsmouth and Dunwich Horror. I had Jim Culver as an investigator, great character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.