Hide
5 Posts

WarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions on the Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Warlord
msg tools
Seeing as though there is some action here, thought I'd quote a post from the Expansion forums with regards to how the community would approach the following questions. I'm interested in the Night Elf ones myself and how you would play it given that FFG are now unable to provide any answers:

Lord Balor wrote:
Just a few questions about the Expansion set:

Question 1)

Can Moon Glaive stack and if so is it cumulative or based only on the base original hits.

Question 2)

Can 'Devour' be played on a creep and if so, does it have any effect? I.E, None, loses a die, is consumed)?

Question 3)

Do the new rules for Slow Poison, Web, Ensnare found in the Expansion set apply to the standard game?

Question 4)

If I use 'Call to Arms', my workers are now treated as Melee and cannot harvest. Are they treated as a Melee in every way or just as in their strength/ability to attack? Does this restrict their movement and do they count as workers or melee when it comes to stacking limits?

Question 5)

When the Tree of Eternity moves, do all the units on the same space move with it? I.e. Does it count as the whole board piece moving a space (and so all units including the tree are moved with it ) or does it count as just a separate special unit moving a space and so any other units on its original space are left behind. Essentially is it a board piece or considered a special unit?

Question 6)

As Victory Points on the board are controlled by a unit on that space, what happens when the Night Elf Town moves into a VP space? Does the Town’s victory point value override the space value? Do you need 2 units to control the victory points or is only 1 unit sufficient to claim both the space and the town?

Question 7)

If the Night Elf Base moves onto a Resource Node, either Gold or Forest, can the workers on that space harvest in Harvest phase and then build in the spending phase?

Question 8)

What happens when you have units of the same type at different strengths either buffed or nerfed. For example, if I have a Melee hero at 4 strength, A melee summon at strength 1 and several Melee units at another different strength, then what strength would be the additional die for something like Blood lust? Is there a preset order of precedence in regards to adding and subtracting dice or do I get to choose?

Question 9)

The same thing as above but when people play cards to negate one attack, do I remove it from My Basic unit type, my Hero of the same type or my Summon of the same type. Is there a preset order of precedence in regards to adding and subtracting dice, does my opponent get to choose or do I get to choose?

Question 10)

The Priestess of the Moon Night Elf Hero’s final ability, the 4 Mana Star-fall states: “Start of Round: Roll one die for each enemy unit in the battlefield or a flank. On a 1, the unit is assigned a casualty.” With regards to the above and some other heroes various abilities, does the 'Or' mean choosing only one space rather than including both? That is, in this particular case, does the above mean ‘choose the battlefield space’ OR ‘Choose One single space in the flanks’ or rather that it includes the Battlefield & The Flanks so in effect, every unit in the battle.

Many thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure I saw all these questions answered in FFG forums before they removed everything warcraft related.

I have the answer to some of those questions, but not to all. Let me make some research to see if I can find the answers to the rest. Otherwise, I will just post the answers I am sure of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have any luck finding the official answers which I already read once. So, I will answer only those which I am sure I remember the official answer accurately.

I really hope some other members can jump in answering the missing ones.

They were once officially answered here [mirror image from the web archive] and I bet Lord Balor has already all the right answers:
http://web.archive.org/web/20101215142427/http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_temas.asp?efid=79&efcid=1

Lord Balor wrote:
Just a few questions about the Expansion set:

Question 1)

Can Moon Glaive stack and if so is it cumulative or based only on the base original hits.

Question 2)

Can 'Devour' be played on a creep and if so, does it have any effect? I.E, None, loses a die, is consumed)?

Question 3)

Do the new rules for Slow Poison, Web, Ensnare found in the Expansion set apply to the standard game?

Yes. All these rule changes are not expansion items, but revisions of the original ones. They should be treated as errata and played as they are in the expansion.

Question 4)

If I use 'Call to Arms', my workers are now treated as Melee and cannot harvest. Are they treated as a Melee in every way or just as in their strength/ability to attack? Does this restrict their movement and do they count as workers or melee when it comes to stacking limits?

They become Melee units in all the sense. They are affected by Melee units movement and stacking restrictions.

Question 5)

When the Tree of Eternity moves, do all the units on the same space move with it? I.e. Does it count as the whole board piece moving a space (and so all units including the tree are moved with it ) or does it count as just a separate special unit moving a space and so any other units on its original space are left behind. Essentially is it a board piece or considered a special unit?

Question 6)

As Victory Points on the board are controlled by a unit on that space, what happens when the Night Elf Town moves into a VP space? Does the Town’s victory point value override the space value? Do you need 2 units to control the victory points or is only 1 unit sufficient to claim both the space and the town?

If the Tree moves into a space with VP, that space value becomes both its original value plus the Tree of Eternity value. Only one unit is enough to claim the VPs of both spaces.

Question 7)

If the Night Elf Base moves onto a Resource Node, either Gold or Forest, can the workers on that space harvest in Harvest phase and then build in the spending phase?

Yes. However they can not harvest again until they finishing building.

Question 8)

What happens when you have units of the same type at different strengths either buffed or nerfed. For example, if I have a Melee hero at 4 strength, A melee summon at strength 1 and several Melee units at another different strength, then what strength would be the additional die for something like Blood lust? Is there a preset order of precedence in regards to adding and subtracting dice or do I get to choose?

Question 9)

The same thing as above but when people play cards to negate one attack, do I remove it from My Basic unit type, my Hero of the same type or my Summon of the same type. Is there a preset order of precedence in regards to adding and subtracting dice, does my opponent get to choose or do I get to choose?

Question 10)

The Priestess of the Moon Night Elf Hero’s final ability, the 4 Mana Star-fall states: “Start of Round: Roll one die for each enemy unit in the battlefield or a flank. On a 1, the unit is assigned a casualty.” With regards to the above and some other heroes various abilities, does the 'Or' mean choosing only one space rather than including both? That is, in this particular case, does the above mean ‘choose the battlefield space’ OR ‘Choose One single space in the flanks’ or rather that it includes the Battlefield & The Flanks so in effect, every unit in the battle.

Many thanks in advance.

There is an important rule of thumb I follow here, and that is that UNITS are only your wooden pieces, with strength defined by your UNIT TILES, and workers, creeps and summons are not considered units.

So, effects like bloodlust affect your UNITS only, so it will give you an additional die on each step of your combat (with strength defined by your unit tiles) when you already have participating one of those units in the battle. If you only have summons and no wooden units when you are rolling for melee, you will not roll an additional die.

Same for cards that negate the attack of a unit, they require a wooden unit participating and it will negate the attack of one of those, not of summons. Cards as devour can only be used on wooden units, not on creeps or summons. This simplifies a lot their resolution.

Regarding the Tree of Eternity, it is not considered a unit either. When you move it, you move ONLY the location of the Tree, not everything in that space, neither you crush what units or workers were previously located in the space you just moved to; everything else remains where it was. This is the logical approach since otherwise you will run into stacking limits when moving the tree with the units into spaces already occupied by other units.

And regarding Question 10, for me it is pretty obvious that it means ONLY one space (either the battlefield OR one single flank), because otherwise it would read 'for each unit in the battle' or 'for each unit in the battlefield AND on every flank'.

However, these are only my personal interpretations based on my experience with the game and for what I remember from the original official responses. I will summarize all the answers in a list below.

1) Yes, it can stack and it is cumulative.

2) Devour can not be played on creeps nor summons since they are not considered units.

3) Yes. All these rule changes are not expansion items, but revisions of the original ones. They should be treated as errata and played as they are in the expansion.

4) They become Melee units in all the sense. They are affected by Melee units movement and stacking restrictions.

5) Tree of Eternity moves alone leaving the units behind. Otherwise you run into stacking limit issues when moving into spaces occupied by other units.

6) If the Tree moves into a space with VP, that space value becomes both its original value plus the Tree of Eternity value. Only one unit is enough to claim the VPs of both spaces.

7) Yes. However they can not harvest again until they finishing building.

8) You only add or subtract dice if a wooden unit participates. Add it at the strength at what your unit tiles indicate, effects like bloodlust don't count towards summons.

9) Same as above. Card does not affect summons. Subtract dice from your wooden units.

10) It affects only ONE space of your choice. Either the battlefield OR one single flank.

I hope this helps you to have more enjoyable games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Warlord
msg tools
Many thanks for the detailed reply, we always played without the Racial abilities as a result of the Night Elf one not being entirely clear. To us, the harvest Gold/Lumber then build should the Tree be on a goldmine/forest space seemed to take away from the Undead ability. That is, the Undead can Build one turn and then in the next - move before it's completed and should the resources adjacent to the base still be at capacity, harvest. The conditions to get a build and a harvest action are much harder to meet which made it seem an inferior version at worst to the Night Elf one or at best, a racial ability competing to do a similiar thing rather than their own unique thing. But good to have that cleared up one way or another.

The others make sense and with you on the 'Or' definition but at the same time seems very under-powered for a final ability and more in line with other Heroes Lv1/Lv2 abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. Glad it was helpful for you.

Regarding the harvesting and building on the same turn if the Night Elf Tree is located over a gold mine/forest, it is one of the few ones that I am 100% sure about, since I remember it from the official answers in the FFG forums. And you are right, this is better than the summon building ability of the undead, but they also have the ability of harvesting wood with 3 melee units, so it is not that bad.

You might try playing with the racial abilities now that they are clear, and I hope you enjoy the game at its full!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.