Nikola Pajvancic
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

As the title suggests, I would like to know if fellow geeks from Europe (especially Germany/Austria) can help me with a bit of advice.

In November I made a big order (250euros +) from a certain German on-line store. I ordered stuff from them in the past, and it was always more or less good.

I always order games to be delivered to a friend's address in Vienna, in order to save on shipping and to avoid thievery / customs fee. (I live in Serbia). I often visit Vienna and then I just pick them up.

To cut the long story short - this parcel simply disappeared. It was delivered to and signed for by some mysterious person - not my friend, not anybody in his building nor in the neighborhood.

After a month of calls and emails from three sides, DPD Germany (carrier company) finally admitted that they lost the parcel. After their admittance another month passed (in the meantime I signed and sent them some sort of statement that that I really didn't get the parcel) - and I still don't have anything - no refund or games in sight.

The last message from the on-line store was something along the lines that the DPD told them that they will use the "standard procedure to refund the client" - but I don't know who are they referring by the word "client" - sender in Germany, recipient in Vienna - or me, whose credit card was charged. I have to add that the communication with the people form the on-line store was rather unsatisfactory - long delays in answering my questions, laconic answers etc.

As I live in the country where the customer is always wrong and where only right that the citizen has is to remain silent, I really don't know what are my rights in this case, and what should I expect? Should I press the on-line store more or he can't do much about it? Did anybody have a similar experience? What would you advise me to do?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

P.S. - if this is the wrong forum - please suggest where should I post this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I work for a UPS Store in the States, so I have had a lot of experience working with UPS international claims. Carrier refunds go to the shipper in the majority of cases. My recommendation is to keep constant contact with the online company. As they are getting the refund, I would explain that they need to either give you your money back or ship you a new order. Carrier refunds, especially internationally, are usually a long process, so try to stay friendly and understanding - but persistent.

Another problem might be the refund amount - carriers limit their liability to what the declared value is, so if you do not declare a higher value (aka pay for insurance) the sender may not get a full refund. This does not mean they will not get any refund, and if it was their choice of carrier and shipping preferences this is their problem, not yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THC
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
200803 - Ich teile meinen Mond mit Dir...
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see it you will get the refund as you are the "client".
Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to refer to a "client" when talking to the on-line store.

I think the passing time is your only disadvantage. DPD seems to have admitted losing the package. The didn't fulfill the contact properly and have to remedy.
Last time DPD managed to lose my parcel (I guess they just put it in front of my door fpr convinience and it was stolen) the driver even gave me money out of his pocket (it was his fault not sticking to procedure).

So keep contacting DPD and ask them for a refund.

The one question I can't answer is to which amount the package was insured. Standard insurance with Deutsche Post is 500 EUR.

Good luck with your effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Pajvancic
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, thanks for the answer - friendly and understanding is my default mode - I guess I'll just have to wait some more. As for amount - I think that the declared value was actual value of the games - so (hopefully) it's covered that way.

CasualSax wrote:
I work for a UPS Store in the States, so I have had a lot of experience working with UPS international claims. Carrier refunds go to the shipper in the majority of cases. My recommendation is to keep constant contact with the online company. As they are getting the refund, I would explain that they need to either give you your money back or ship you a new order. Carrier refunds, especially internationally, are usually a long process, so try to stay friendly and understanding - but persistent.

Another problem might be the refund amount - carriers limit their liability to what the declared value is, so if you do not declare a higher value (aka pay for insurance) the sender may not get a full refund. This does not mean they will not get any refund, and if it was their choice of carrier and shipping preferences this is their problem, not yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Pajvancic
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dietemann wrote:
As I see it you will get the refund as you are the "client".
Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to refer to a "client" when talking to the on-line store.

Hm, now that bugs me - I'm really hoping that the "client" would be a company or person that contracted their service - in this case on-line store, as previous poster suggested. Anyway, thanks for the info and the advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a contract with the online store not the shipping company (DPD). In Germany the store is responsible to get the ordered wares to you. It is not your fault when the parcel get's lost and you should not be forced to take care of that.

So your contact is the online store primarily and secondary DPD and they have to prove who signed for the parcel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also curious as to what type of refund the shipping is refering to? The cost of shipping? Or the cost of the entire order?

I would keep after the online seller, I would think they are the ones responsible.

Of course, I am writing from my perspective in the USA. The rules may be different in Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.