Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have searched for but couldn't find a game that allows you to construct a base and an army and pit them against other players. I am looking for something similar to the Red Alert PC game that some of you may fondly remember.

I am looking something similar to the skirmish mode found in various RTS games. Specifically:

-Build a base, including functioning unit production buildings, towers/defenses, walls, gates etc...
-Actual resource collecting like the ore miner trucks (to make supply disruption a viable tactic)
-A decent variety of units, maybe some basic differences to keep the different sides a little more interesting
-use of firearms and tanks, modern/sci-fi ok, no fantasy

I hope I got my point across, I'm not sure everyone will understand the type of thing I am looking for without having some sort of background in computer games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you are looking for the ares project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJunon wrote:
Sounds like you are looking for the ares project

Agreed, that's what I was coming here to say. You might also look at the Starcraft board game for obvious reasons.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WarCraft: The Board Game or StarCraft: The Board Game might be what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft: The Board Game the boardgame certainly has a lot of what you're after (unsurprisingly) and is a very good game, although the rulebook is intimidating to say the least!

A new release that was specifically designed to emulate the feel of playing an RTS is The Ares Project. I've not played it yet myself but it sounds interesting and seems to be getting a good reception. Certainly it's worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X has resource gathering, empire (not base) building, and a lot of unit types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of RA and RTS games, and I love Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). It doesn't have as much base defense stuff, but it does have a tech tree, the ability to build multiple bases, and things like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If you've ever played "S.M.A.C.", then it were an 'infinite improvement' over many another. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.